Zenmuse Z3 does not fit the gimbal locking mechanism on my Inspire 1
1708 11 2016-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
booyah2
New

South Africa

Hi All
I'm booyah2, an Inspire 1 pilot from South Africa.

Recently I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Zenmuse Z3 as an upgrade from my X3.

Unfortunately as stated in the title when I go to install the device in my Inspire 1 with the default anti vibration mounting plate, it just does not fit. The tolerances are slightly off.I can only get the locking mechanism to rotate 1/2 way.

I was wondering if anyone had experienced this issue?

And if installing the x5 anti vibration plate would resolve this issue.

Thanks
2016-12-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Are you sure that the Z3 is sitting evenly in the gimbal lock? The X5 absorption board shouldn't make a difference when using the Z3.
2016-12-26
Use props
booyah2
New

South Africa

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-27 05:50
Are you sure that the Z3 is sitting evenly in the gimbal lock? The X5 absorption board shouldn't make a difference when using the Z3.

Hi DJI Jamie,

Yes, I am certain that it is sitting evenly in the gimbal lock. As when trying to install it I do try to move it around slightly to get the fit.

However nothing works.

Here is my X3 sitting flush in the Gimbal lock.

Here is my Z3, but I can only get the lock half way.

Here is the Album of the other images I took including side by side's. The teeth of the Z3 are already starting to wear and loose paint due to the continued attempts to get it to fit.
Pictures of my Z3 and X3

Thanks for your response
2016-12-26
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

booyah2 Posted at 2016-12-27 00:44
Hi DJI Jamie,

Yes, I am certain that it is sitting evenly in the gimbal lock. As when trying to install it I do try to move it around slightly to get the fit.

Perhaps you need to loosen up the allen screw for locking the camera in place , perhaps it is binding in there some how .

donnie
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

booyah2 Posted at 2016-12-27 14:44
Hi DJI Jamie,

Nothing sticks out as visually wrong with the contacts, the only thing that I can think of (which you've most likely done) is to try and keep firm, even pressure on the gimbal contacts when everything is aligned and make another reattempt, you may feel a little resistance when you first try it, but you shouldn't have to force it.
2016-12-27
Use props
ViewFinderMB
New

United States

My Z3 fits perfectly on the gimbal plate. No issue there. Just a large amount of lag between craft and display transmission. And you cannot update the aircraft firmware through the Z3.
2016-12-27
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I didn't see anything that looks odd with your Z3 camera. It might need some TLC. Maybe if you turn the Inspire upside-down so you can fit the camera onto the mount evenly...?....

Rich
2016-12-27
Use props
booyah2
New

South Africa

I went to a store with my z3 today and asked if I could test it in one of their display models and it did fit perfectly. So I've come to the conclusion that the issue exists with my Inspire 1 and not the Z3.

I tried to loosen the allen screw but with no luck. It's stuck in their like a tick.

I think I've resolved to buy the x5 anti vibration plate as that was on the inspire 1 I was successfully able to install the Z3.
2016-12-28
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

booyah2 Posted at 2016-12-28 10:50
I went to a store with my z3 today and asked if I could test it in one of their display models and it did fit perfectly. So I've come to the conclusion that the issue exists with my Inspire 1 and not the Z3.

I tried to loosen the allen screw but with no luck. It's stuck in their like a tick.

Get the X5 vibration plate regardless , you will be much happier with it anyway and it solves the problem.

That allen screw really should loosen regardless if it is part of the problem , I snug mine up when i place my X5 on the Aircraft for an extra bit of security.

donnie  
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

booyah2 Posted at 2016-12-29 00:50

You won't be disappointed with getting the X5 vibration plate anyway, it'll add a little extra security and will let you be able to upgrade to the heavier cameras without issue should you choose to go that route in the future.
2016-12-28
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

ViewFinderMB Posted at 2016-12-28 04:01
My Z3 fits perfectly on the gimbal plate. No issue there. Just a large amount of lag between craft and display transmission. And you cannot update the aircraft firmware through the Z3.

You can't upgrade to the airraft's v01.10.01.40 firmware at this time, but you're not missing much if you just stay with V01.09.01.40 for both AC and camera at the moment. I've seen you've mentioned the transmission issues in a previous thread. If you happen to start your own about it, I can try to help you out with it.
2016-12-28
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

booyah2 Posted at 2016-12-28 08:50

The X5 mounting plate or Inspire 1 V2 new camera mount is really nice. I noticed much smoother video performance and worth the upgrade!

Sorry you were having trouble mounting your new Z3 camera on the Inspire 1 mount

Rich
2016-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules