P4P battery blinks 16 times intermittently while charging...
9992 30 2016-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NicR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 141552 ft
United States

and thats it. doesnt seem to be taking a charge for the last hour. it used to be completety dead in the water...no lights, no nothing, but now at least it acts as if it powers up and shows one bar of charge, so thats progress, but still only blinks 16 times every 10 seconds or so while charging.

this is a brand new, out of the box battery.

2016-12-27
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

May I know where you bought it? would you please record a small video for evaluation?
If it's caused by product faulty, and it's brand new, you can get a replacement.
Very sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2016-12-28
Use props
SC Joe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37966 ft

Has anyone found a solution? I have the same problem - battery blinks 16 times on charger. When removed from charger and pressing button 1 time to check status,  1st led blinks 4 times.
2018-4-24
Use props
Tearuup
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123763 ft
United States

SC Joe Posted at 2018-4-24 17:38
Has anyone found a solution? I have the same problem - battery blinks 16 times on charger. When removed from charger and pressing button 1 time to check status,  1st led blinks 4 times.

Here is the link to the manual:  P4P/+ Manual
I didn't read anything about 16 blinks but the 4 blinks indicate overheating
2018-4-24
Use props
SC Joe
lvl.2

Tearuup Posted at 2018-4-24 18:17

Thanks Tearuup! It's possible I put the battery on the charger too soon after flight while it was still warm - but did't notice at the time. I will let it discharge over the next week then try to recharge.

2018-4-24
Use props
SC Joe
lvl.2

Tearuup Posted at 2018-4-24 18:17

I checked the manual again (starting on page 31) and it does not mention any LEDs blinking 4 times but it does mention LED #4 blinking 3 times to indicate overheating. I will attempt to upload video of the battery and blinking sequence...
2018-4-24
Use props
SC Joe
lvl.2
United States

2018-4-24
Use props
SC Joe
lvl.2

In the video above, that is the battery that came with the P4P+ package purchased from B&H Photo, March 2017.
2018-4-24
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

SC Joe Posted at 2018-4-24 22:12
In the video above, that is the battery that came with the P4P+ package purchased from B&H Photo, March 2017.

What happen if you try turning it on, both with/without connection to the charger?
2018-4-25
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Send it back. I would never trust it in the air or even a fire in your home. The liability is on you at this point as DJI has told you to return it for a replacement.
2018-4-25
Use props
SC Joe
lvl.2
United States

SC Joe Posted at 2018-4-24 22:12

I get the same response and led sequence when plugged in and unplugged from charger. The first half of video shows trying to turn it on unplugged from charger and second half shows trying to turn it on while plugged in - the #1 LED blinks 4 times then it shuts off.
2018-4-25
Use props
SC Joe
lvl.2
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-4-25 03:03
Send it back. I would never trust it in the air or even a fire in your home. The liability is on you at this point as DJI has told you to return it for a replacement.

I will consider sending it back but most likely it is past the warranty  - it has been 1 year since I bought it.  Also, I will wait until it discharges fully to see how it responds. Although you make a very good point - it would be cheaper to buy a new battery than to replace the battery and drone and whatever it lands on!
2018-4-25
Use props
SC Joe
lvl.2

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-4-25 03:03
Send it back. I would never trust it in the air or even a fire in your home. The liability is on you at this point as DJI has told you to return it for a replacement.

Also, thanks for the reply - I am not the OP - just following up for myself since I have the same issue.
2018-4-25
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

SC Joe Posted at 2018-4-25 05:44
Also, thanks for the reply - I am not the OP - just following up for myself since I have the same issue.

Not a problem. You have enough to think about while flying without having any doubts about what you have in the air. I had a one month old P4P Obsidian drop out of the sky. I bought another one but I must admit I don't enjoy flying any more.
2018-4-25
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

Last year I purchased a lightly used P4P with 4 batteries.  One of the four displayed similar behavior.  After trying many things, it turned out to be bricked.  I could never get it to take a charge.  It had been sitting for several months apparently (in who knows what state of charge).  Thankfully the other 3 were fine.  Similarly, it was out of warranty so I was basically SOL on that one.  
2018-4-25
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

SC Joe Posted at 2018-4-25 05:42
I get the same response and led sequence when plugged in and unplugged from charger. The first half of video shows trying to turn it on unplugged from charger and second half shows trying to turn it on while plugged in - the #1 LED blinks 4 times then it shuts off.

I see or hear nothing looking/sounding like the right turn on sequence in that video.
Too long a pause from the short click to the long click and too long a long click.

Click once - 1 sec. pause - hold 3 sec. - let go

Just saying

I think it should still be charging when connected to charger if the other end is plugged in and powered on.
Also make sure to plug in the charge connector straight, if have a few times seen some strange behavior if lined up from one end and then pushed in like rolling it in, if that explanation makes sense .. that part look right to me as done here.
2018-4-25
Use props
SC Joe
lvl.2

KedDK Posted at 2018-4-25 06:32
I see or hear nothing looking/sounding like the right turn on sequence in that video.
Too long a pause from the short click to the long click and too long a long click.

Right, thanks and thanks KedDK I was not turning it on - just showing status check. Here is video of attempting to power on in P4P:
2018-4-25
Use props
sachinkhanna16
lvl.1

Sometimes it happens due to overheating I guess it indicates the overheating.

Sachin Khanna
Best Washing Machine in India
2018-4-25
Use props
SC Joe
lvl.2

Anokadrone Posted at 2018-4-25 06:14
Last year I purchased a lightly used P4P with 4 batteries.  One of the four displayed similar behavior.  After trying many things, it turned out to be bricked.  I could never get it to take a charge.  It had been sitting for several months apparently (in who knows what state of charge).  Thankfully the other 3 were fine.  Similarly, it was out of warranty so I was basically SOL on that one.

It seems the one thing my battery has in common with the OP is that they both came  new direct from DJI (if thats how things work). When I opened the box the battery was installed in AC. I don't know - maybe that's how all new ones are delivered. So who knows how long it was sitting in there and what kind of extreme temperature it may have been exposed to.  I will most likely not use it again but will update if I get any useful info.
2018-4-25
Use props
SC Joe
lvl.2
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-4-25 06:10
Not a problem. You have enough to think about while flying without having any doubts about what you have in the air. I had a one month old P4P Obsidian drop out of the sky. I bought another one but I must admit I don't enjoy flying any more.

Maybe there should be a better way to test battery integrity outside of the drone other than flashing LEDs - especially since some of the sequences are mysterious - as in the case of this thread and especially since the battery is such an important part of the safety of the flight.  Maybe an add on unit to the charger. or a way to connect charger/battery to Assistant on PC to check status. in this case, I cannot tun it on so I cannot view status in the onboard app. Or some kind of smaller, lighter 2nd battery unit in the drone to get it home if the main one has a sudden death.   I thought about the parachute that's available but won't get one. How about retractable wings so it can glide back?    I am familiar with the "once bitten, twice shy" concept, tho.  
2018-4-25
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

SC Joe Posted at 2018-4-25 06:57
Right, thanks and thanks KedDK I was not turning it on - just showing status check. Here is video of attempting to power on in P4P:
attempted power on

That was more like it and for sure it don't look right, does it behave the same if doing same sequence in that speed also when out of AC and when connected to charger?

Still a little unclear to me what the history is, did you buy it one year ago but first start using it now or when has that battery last been flying?

If it has been stored for very long uncharged it very well can have collapsed but i would still trying to just keep it on charger for some days if not tried that already, there is some kind of hibernation mode but i have no experience with how it would act as i am using mine to often.
2018-4-25
Use props
Tearuup
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123763 ft
United States

SC Joe Posted at 2018-4-24 19:00
I checked the manual again (starting on page 31) and it does not mention any LEDs blinking 4 times but it does mention LED #4 blinking 3 times to indicate overheating. I will attempt to upload video of the battery and blinking sequence...

Yes sir, my error.
2018-4-25
Use props
SC Joe
lvl.2
United States

KedDK Posted at 2018-4-25 11:12
That was more like it and for sure it don't look right, does it behave the same if doing same sequence in that speed also when out of AC and when connected to charger?

Still a little unclear to me what the history is, did you buy it one year ago but first start using it now or when has that battery last been flying?

Yes, same sequence when I try to power up (shown in second video) when battery plugged into charger but AC unplugged from wall.

Here’s my recollection:

I flew on that battery multiple times (maybe 20 times) since I bought it with the drone last year - no problems. Treated it nicely according to the manual as best I could (pretty sure I did, at lest I knew not to store fully charged or fully drained, although I most likely would have had higher charge when putting away then lower charge though I may have done it wrong. and that statement shows I would not be a good lawyer- lol.

Put it away about 5 months ago - cannot remember what charge it had -  most likely above 50 percent, possibly even above 70%.  It sat for 5 months, untouched. So, those 2 factors may have contributed to its current state.  

Then, about 5 days ago, I took it out and seeing (I think) 3 LEDs blinking (not sure, I just don’t recall) I thought I would fly it first then charge it. That could be what it did not like.  I don’t remember how much of a charge was indicated on screen when I launched so maybe I can get that data from the app?

I flew it until battery went down to 10-15%. Then put on charger - went out and used the other 2 batteries I have, which I put away at the same time  but possibly with different status, except I charged them first before I used them recently and they work fine. Tthey were bought at a later date and actually have gray label, not white. Don’t know if that matters as to model/ type of battery.  

I did not watch charger so not sure when 16 blinks came but it was on charger for an hour or more and I noticed the battery wouldn’t work after that.   I was waiting for the blinking to stop - indicating a full charge - but after more than an hour, it kept blinking.  I took a closer look, saw 16 blinks, removed from charger, installed in AC and discovered it did not work.

I’m new at this and still learning.  I have at least one short flight on the faulty battery just an hour before charging and getting 16 blinks, so maybe that last flight data will tell something about the battery. Or is the info about batteries not saved for download? I will look into it.   

I think I will let it discharge some first then put back on charger - as I’ve seen suggested in this forum. I don’t think it was in hibernation  mode which I think shows red light on button - no red light was shown.  I used it without charging first after I stored it and, again, that could have been the mistake.

Thanks for your interest in helping to solve this. Hope all of what I wrote there makes sense.

EDIT:  Just looked at flight data and it shows I started with 45% battery charge after having stored it 5 months. When I landed at put back on charger it had 19% charge.

2018-4-25
Use props
SC Joe
lvl.2
United States

No problem, I appreciate the help!!
2018-4-25
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

SC Joe Posted at 2018-4-25 11:01
Maybe there should be a better way to test battery integrity outside of the drone other than flashing LEDs - especially since some of the sequences are mysterious - as in the case of this thread and especially since the battery is such an important part of the safety of the flight.  Maybe an add on unit to the charger. or a way to connect charger/battery to Assistant on PC to check status. in this case, I cannot tun it on so I cannot view status in the onboard app. Or some kind of smaller, lighter 2nd battery unit in the drone to get it home if the main one has a sudden death.   I thought about the parachute that's available but won't get one. How about retractable wings so it can glide back?    I am familiar with the "once bitten, twice shy" concept, tho.

The 3 port hub has a USB connection. They may have something in mind for the future. Right now Airdata.com seems to be the best data info. Highly suggest signing up for that.
2018-4-25
Use props
SC Joe
lvl.2

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-4-25 16:26
The 3 port hub has a USB connection. They may have something in mind for the future. Right now Airdata.com seems to be the best data info. Highly suggest signing up for that.

Thanks! I will take a look.
2018-4-25
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

SC Joe Posted at 2018-4-25 16:04
Yes, same sequence when I try to power up (shown in second video) when battery plugged into charger but AC unplugged from wall.

Here’s my recollection:

Thank you, now i see the light. I would be sure that the flying without first charging after 5 months of storage did something that batt don't like.
You can't trust the percentage shown in this case, this is what the board think but it don't know when the cells has been laying and become discharged, the cell voltage reading in the log possibly give some more details.

I always top up my batteries before i leave for a flight, I turn them on and plug in the charger, most often they just rolls the lights and power off again, sometimes they would start charging for 10-20 min and shutdown, but now i know they are at 100%.
Also i would mention the importance of letting the batteries cool after use before charge, personally i let them laying to cool at least an hour until they don't feels warm anymore, when they are lukewarm on the outside then there would be quite some heat left in the internals.

What makes me wonder is the 16 pattern blink, i have not seen anything mention this but perhaps the board has some kind of trickle/burst charge trying to salvage a flat cell, only the ones who wrote the FW for the batt can tell, and possibly they need to know what FW level was last flashed to the batt.

Can you see and post the individual cell voltages from the log generated during this last flight on this battery, i would like to see the first and last values reported, just curios.

One thing is clear, something is still alive in the batt, the unknown is what and how much. Was it mine i would just leave it on charge for up to a week when ever the charger is not used for the other batteries/RC unless DJI from the engineers can light up something on the 16 blink pattern.
2018-4-25
Use props
SC Joe
lvl.2
United States

In Assistant I was able to load some flight data.

The image called Fly 80 is from the "16 blink" battery. This is from one of the last flights I took before the blinks began.  On the right I added a green circle where you can see some data is missing.  The other flights with this battery also will not load that data.

Image FLY 119 is with a good normally function battery.  I added a green circle where battery and other data successfully loaded.

I do not understand how to interpret much of anything else.   So, maybe 16 blinks means "time to buy a new battery!"  In the meantime,  I may try your idea and leave it on the charger for an extended time.  

Thanks!
2018-4-26
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

SC Joe Posted at 2018-4-26 20:01
In Assistant I was able to load some flight data.

[view_image]

That part of the missing info made me think a little more, have you seen any errors regarding Battery Signal? Also have you inspected the connector terminal pads on the battery, maybe a little clean up with a narrow strip of emery paper and a blow job can do wonders.
Also take a close look at the terminals inside the battery compartment, there has been a few posts regarding burnt/melted connectors.
2018-4-27
Use props
SC Joe
lvl.2
United States

I've never seen any errors regarding batteries (other than low battery warning while flying and I always land before it hits 10%.  All the terminals are clean, straight and solid (not loose).   Same with inside the AC. I've used and recharged the other batteries and the RC since this happened so I know the charger is good. The one I have that is blinking 16 times is the High Capacity PH4 5870 (white label) but the user in the attached video has same problem with the gray label, which I'm guessing is the PH4 5350 (not high capacity - because of the gray label). So probably not model specific issue. Something different happened today - I plugged the 16 blinker into the charger and it cycled through 2 LEDS a couple of times like it was going to charge normally but then went back to its 16 times blinking.  and it won't stay powered on. I will let it discharge more before I try leaving it on the charger a longer time.   I probably will replace it and not use it anyway. I'm just curious to find out what might have happened.  Also, I looked at more flight data from earlier flights, like last year, and many of them have that missing data, so it may not be related. Unless they are from the same battery. I don't know how to tell which battery was installed from looking at the data on Assistant.

2018-4-27
Use props
mihai.r
New

Romania

SC Joe Posted at 2018-4-27 19:54
I've never seen any errors regarding batteries (other than low battery warning while flying and I always land before it hits 10%.  All the terminals are clean, straight and solid (not loose).   Same with inside the AC. I've used and recharged the other batteries and the RC since this happened so I know the charger is good. The one I have that is blinking 16 times is the High Capacity PH4 5870 (white label) but the user in the attached video has same problem with the gray label, which I'm guessing is the PH4 5350 (not high capacity - because of the gray label). So probably not model specific issue. Something different happened today - I plugged the 16 blinker into the charger and it cycled through 2 LEDS a couple of times like it was going to charge normally but then went back to its 16 times blinking.  and it won't stay powered on. I will let it discharge more before I try leaving it on the charger a longer time.   I probably will replace it and not use it anyway. I'm just curious to find out what might have happened.  Also, I looked at more flight data from earlier flights, like last year, and many of them have that missing data, so it may not be related. Unless they are from the same battery. I don't know how to tell which battery was installed from looking at the data on Assistant.

different user, same problem

Did you find a solution to this? I am having the exact issue with one of my batteries.
2021-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules