What Video Resolution To Shoot With?
1940 5 2016-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iRyanBall
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I'm heading next week to Iceland and will be using my DJI OSMO Mobile with my iPhone 7 Plus to shoot video of the areas we visit but i'm unsure which style to go for? I know there's no right or wrong answer for this but would like to hear your opions what would you go for:

4k 30FPS
4k 24FPS Cinematic Look
1080 60FPS

Above are the 3 options i'm torn between and would love to hear what you would shoot with if this was your choice?

Many Thanks in advance
2016-12-28
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

I have been challenged with the same question and whilst in the past I have gone 1080p 60fps, I'm now thinking about 4K a) to future proof important footage; b) more flexibility in editing; c) because with a 128Gb iphone I'm not particularly memory constrained as I also have a WD wireless drive I can copy it to.
But on the downside, I have been experiencing very poor battery usage (OSMO mobile + iPhone 6S Plus) ~25-30 mins max shooting before battery runs down in the DJI GO app and/or FilmicPro. Like you interested in people's views.

I'm assuming that you're planning on shooting landscape/slow moving subjects in Iceland?

Have a great trip!
2016-12-28
Use props
iRyanBall
lvl.1
United Kingdom

A1000 Posted at 2016-12-28 15:43
I have been challenged with the same question and whilst in the past I have gone 1080p 60fps, I'm now thinking about 4K a) to future proof important footage; b) more flexibility in editing; c) because with a 128Gb iphone I'm not particularly memory constrained as I also have a WD wireless drive I can copy it to.
But on the downside, I have been experiencing very poor battery usage (OSMO mobile + iPhone 6S Plus) ~25-30 mins max shooting before battery runs down in the DJI GO app and/or FilmicPro. Like you interested in people's views.

Thanks so much for your feedback, I hope to shoot various styles of the amazing landscapes, I want to shoot using the OSMO Mobile hand held while just walking about and filming whats around me (iPhone 7 Plus has 256GB Storage) and then I also want to use my extension rod and base to shoot time lapse and motion time lapse but this actually leads me to another question? I did a quick test of a hyper lapse last week which looked great on playback but when you do an edit and save it  the quality is awful, very pixelated so really not sure if I've done anything wrong.  I'm taking my Canon EOS 5D Mark III for my photography so that's sorted just don't want to regret my filming options
2016-12-28
Use props
CTIGUK
lvl.2
United States

iRyanBall Posted at 2016-12-28 09:40
Thanks so much for your feedback, I hope to shoot various styles of the amazing landscapes, I want to shoot using the OSMO Mobile hand held while just walking about and filming whats around me (iPhone 7 Plus has 256GB Storage) and then I also want to use my extension rod and base to shoot time lapse and motion time lapse but this actually leads me to another question? I did a quick test of a hyper lapse last week which looked great on playback but when you do an edit and save it  the quality is awful, very pixelated so really not sure if I've done anything wrong.  I'm taking my Canon EOS 5D Mark III for my photography so that's sorted just don't want to regret my filming options

I've been shooting 4K for the past 2 years and don't regret it - like you said, even though it's not commonplace - it will be, and you can really tell the difference.

The only thing I'd say is, shoot 1080p 60fps if you plan to slow the footage down at any point. You can half the speed and the footage will still look smooth if you film in 1080p; so it might be good for a racetrack or a sporting event. Otherwise, 4K is gonna look better longer.
2017-1-3
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

iRyanBall Posted at 2016-12-28 09:40

Sounds like a great trip and Iceland's on our list.  Wrt timelapse I'm with you that Hyperlapse, whilst great for quick and simple timelapses, it is limited in terms of control.  I've tried the DJI GO app and that worked quite well.  I've also go the free (limited) versions of iLapse and LapseIt.  So far I've only had a play with them and found that the UI of LapseIt was marginally ahead.

I had to take my OSMO Mobile back due to a fault and was chatting to the person in the Apple store who also had one.  One thing that I've had a problem with and you might need to consider is the cold weather performance/life of the iPhone.  I have found that in cold weather (just above freezing) the phone shuts down after ~20 mins and will only turn on after connecting to a battery/charger. Once it fires up it showed ~40% battery remaining.  Seems like a challenge with LiPo batteries in general.
2017-1-6
Use props
Feint
New

United States

If you're shooting anything to look cinematic, stick to 24p.  30p footage definitely looks like video during playback.  24 looks better most of the time.  However, if you plan to slow down the footage, then you'll want to shoot 60 or higher but only if you can get the appropriate shutter speed.  I.E. for a 180 degree shutter, you'll want the shutter speed to be 1/(fps x2).  For example, for 24p, you'll want to shoot at 1/48 of a sec or as close to it as possible.  If you're shooting a scene with low amounts of motion, you can get away with 1/40 sec SS, but any large moves will start to look blurry.  Anything faster than 1/48 will start to have that Saving Private Ryan fight scene look with no motion blur making everything look hyper real.

More examples of 180 degree settings
60 fps = 1/120 SS
120 fps = 1/240 SS

Regarding resolution, 4K is great if you can handle the workflow and can get the fps that you want.  As others said, it's also good for the future if you plan to store your footage and reuse it at a later date and not reshoot (some footage is best reshot if you get a new camera down the line) but some footage just can't be reshot like specific events.  4K footage takes up a lot of space, so this will have to be your call if you are running a studio or have space limitations.  4K also looks better even downconverted to 1080p.  But I would pay close attention to the fps/shutter speed as that will quickly ruin your footage if you are shooting outdoors without neutral density filters to keep the SS where it needs to be.
2017-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules