Shell cracks AGAIN
2110 9 2016-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rotareneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 676634 ft
United States

I don't know what kind of plastic DJI uses in these shells, but it's terrible. I just took the top half of my P3S shell off to get it ready for the crack repair process as detailed in this thread: http://forum.dji.com/thread-34272-1-1.html and found the top shell has cracked around most of the metal threaded inserts. I already had the shell replaced by DJI back in August after it started cracking after only around 50 flights, but they didn't replace the upper shell, just the lower one. About 20 flights after that the lower shell started cracking again, which is why I'm going to try to fix it myself and hopefully end up with a slightly longer duration fix.

2016-12-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Sorry about your drone shell, having this fracture proneness. Just bad luck...
Some guys have had good luck, using a product like http://www.jbweld.com for repairing the shell.

Another product that has been mentioned positively was https://www.plast-aid.com to fix them.

RedHotPoker

2016-12-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Rotareneg, sorry for the issue, may I know have you contacted our tech support for this case?
2016-12-30
Use props
proimages
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1004731 ft
United States

I've hod one craft replaced already too..not that I want to test this theory, but seems like aggressive flights and turns/flares could potentially crack the shells on P3 series(maybe age of plastic) ..love for someone to test..cheers D
2016-12-30
Use props
Rotareneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 676634 ft
United States

I haven't contacted support as I decided to try to fix the issue myself. If the Plast-aid doesn't stop the existing cracks from growing and new ones forming, I'll just buy a new shell and replace it myself.
2016-12-30
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

My advice would be to loosen the screws by about a quarter to half turn, as it brings the tension down.
2016-12-30
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-29 23:21
Sorry about your drone shell, having this fracture proneness. Just bad luck...
Some guys have had good luck, using a product like http://www.jbweld.com for repairing the shell.

No! No! NO!
These are NOT the correct fixes for these cracks.

Sheesh!

Well, Plast-Aid might work ok
2016-12-30
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-12-30 18:46
No! No! NO!
These are NOT the correct fixes for these cracks.

Care to elaborate?
2016-12-30
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

proimages Posted at 2016-12-30 10:48
I've hod one craft replaced already too..not that I want to test this theory, but seems like aggressive flights and turns/flares could potentially crack the shells on P3 series(maybe age of plastic) ..love for someone to test..cheers D

These motors have tremendous torque and habitual rapid acceleration can contribute to these cracks. Over tightening as well. The supporting arms for the motors arent really thick rigid plastic, and a lot of torqueing must be hard on the plastic. IMO anyway.
2016-12-30
Use props
fans913aa526
lvl.2

Puerto Rico

stuka75 Posted at 2016-12-30 18:59
These motors have tremendous torque and habitual rapid acceleration can contribute to these cracks. Over tightening as well. The supporting arms for the motors arent really thick rigid plastic, and a lot of torqueing must be hard on the plastic. IMO anyway.

IMHO,  Plastic can fatigue as any other material. Begin with overtighten screws, add mechanical stresses, vibrations and heat from the motors, flexing an twisting from flying stresses and you eventually will get cracks. I just did some reinforcement with Plast-Aid  and carbon fiber strips to a brand new shell to reduce the effects of these factors. I have got much more flights since. So many that I'm not counting anymore. I fly a P3S without camera just to practice my skills and have fun. I have another one for video and photo. The P3S flies so good without the camera and gimbal that my CP helicopters (electric, nitro and a gasser) are grounded for now. My 200 QX quad is grounded too, I just wish I could increase the attack angle and speed of the P3S. Now I'm taking mine to its design limits. No cracks at the usual places, just a single very small crack where the landing gear is attached to the shell after all these extreme flights. Just my two cents.
2016-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules