Using iPad mini 2 with P4
1504 20 2016-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trenken
lvl.1

United States

Im sure this is a dumb question but im new. So far ive only used my iphone. I have an ipad mini 2 that ONLY has wifi, no 3G or anything. Will it work with the P4 when its not connected to a hotspot? I have no idea how this stuff works. I just assumed when I was using my iphone that it was just using the 3G network.

2016-12-30
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

With a WifI only iPad, you would not have the ability to use Follow Me mode since the iPad won't have the GPS module built in like its cellular data counterpart. If that's fine, you would just cache your maps at home or wherever you have internet and you'll be good to go.
2016-12-30
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

Like said above, you wont have to follow me feature as that relies on gps from your device. BUT active track will still work so you can asically just track yourself if you want follow me. I was thinking about getting an ipad mini 2 for a larger display, do you have any lag issues with it and the dji go app?
2016-12-30
Use props
Brad M
lvl.1

United States

cache maps as said above or just hotspot. With iphone in pocket i hotspot it to my ipad and everything works as it should on the ipad as it's now connected through phone, I would assume the same would apply for mini.
2016-12-30
Use props
JohnnyD34
lvl.1

Australia

Apart from the follow me feature are there any other features missing due to not having built in GPS in the iPad mini wifi?
2016-12-30
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JohnnyD34 Posted at 2016-12-30 22:31
Apart from the follow me feature are there any other features missing due to not having built in GPS in the iPad mini wifi?

No 'Follow Me', and also you cannot set 'Home Point' to where controller is situated (which can be done if device has GPS).
2016-12-31
Use props
Jester
lvl.3
Flight distance : 195016 ft

United States

I use the Ipad mini 2 and I don't get any lag at all. I also use my iPhone as a hotspot works great
2017-1-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jester Posted at 2017-1-2 00:04
I use the Ipad mini 2 and I don't get any lag at all. I also use my iPhone as a hotspot works great

Hotspot would be data only for maps, but no GPS available to ipad ?
2017-1-2
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

Aardvark, I just turned on the hotspot to check with my mini 2 and have GPS green light with 12 satellites in my house.  
2017-1-4
Use props
Dynamic1
lvl.1
United States

I have an iPad mini 2 wi if only and I can't figure out how to keep the hot spot and the phantom connected at the same time. Any suggestions?
2017-1-7
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jester Posted at 2017-1-4 12:06
Aardvark, I just turned on the hotspot to check with my mini 2 and have GPS green light with 12 satellites in my house.

Where are you seeing these Satellites, is the top of the DJI Go screen ?
2017-1-7
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dynamic1 Posted at 2017-1-7 10:22
I have an iPad mini 2 wi if only and I can't figure out how to keep the hot spot and the phantom connected at the same time. Any suggestions?

Set up the hotspot on your iPhone, then connect to this using your ipad wifi, you will then be able to stream data via your phones cell data link. ipad talks to aircraft via USB connection to RC which uses Lightbridge to talk to aircraft.
2017-1-7
Use props
Brody602
lvl.1

Canada

You can use an iPad mini 2 but for best results set it up with a hotspot to your phone
2017-1-7
Use props
Dynamic1
lvl.1
United States

I am trying to figure out how to keep the phantom connected and the hot spot connected at the same time.  I link the hot spot from my iPad to my phone, then when I connect the phantom the hot spot connection is stopped and just the phantom is connected. How do you keep them both connected at the same time?   
I must be missing something obvious what is the step by step procedure ?
2017-1-7
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dynamic1 Posted at 2017-1-7 12:16
I am trying to figure out how to keep the phantom connected and the hot spot connected at the same time.  I link the hot spot from my iPad to my phone, then when I connect the phantom the hot spot connection is stopped and just the phantom is connected. How do you keep them both connected at the same time?   
I must be missing something obvious what is the step by step procedure ?

Which Phantom are you using a 3S ?
2017-1-7
Use props
Dynamic1
lvl.1
United States

3 standard
2017-1-7
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

OK, as you say hotspot won't work on the 3S (wifi used to connect display and RC). The P3A, P3P and the P4 (this being the P4 forum section) all use a USB connection to connect the display device to the RC.
2017-1-7
Use props
Dynamic1
lvl.1
United States

Ok, sorry I didn't realize I was in the 4 forum.
2017-1-7
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-1-7 11:23
Where are you seeing these Satellites, is the top of the DJI Go screen ?

Correct, I usually have about 15 when I'm outside
2017-1-8
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jester Posted at 2017-1-8 09:50
Correct, I usually have about 15 when I'm outside

Those are the satellites being seen by the aircraft receiver (GPS & GLONASS), not the display device. What would be nice using hotspots would be if the GPS information could be passed in real time from the iphones GPS system to an App' on the tablet (In this case DJI Go).
2017-1-8
Use props
Jester
lvl.3

United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-1-8 16:13
Those are the satellites being seen by the aircraft receiver (GPS & GLONASS), not the display device. What would be nice using hotspots would be if the GPS information could be passed in real time from the iphones GPS system to an App' on the tablet (In this case DJI Go).

Got it, thanks for the info!
2017-1-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules