New Mavic should you update IMU and firmware?
1174 7 2016-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans940eaa4e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 177841 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just received my new Mavic Pro.  I want to start things right.   Should I calibrate IMU first then update the firmware?   Which should be done first or should either or neather be done?
2016-12-30
Use props
Jeromeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 103369 ft
Australia

Why do you want to update IMU? If the app doesn't tell you to do it. Leave it alone. Just do FW update and enjoy.
2016-12-30
Use props
fans940eaa4e
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Jeromeo Posted at 2016-12-30 17:35
Why do you want to update IMU? If the app doesn't tell you to do it. Leave it alone. Just do FW update and enjoy.

Hi Jeromeo,   I just needed some assurance to not touch the IMU.  I have a P4 and one time right after I did the calibration it dropped form the sky and landed in a lake.   I was able to fly back but had to send in for repairs.  Thanks much for your response.
2016-12-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello, you don't need to do a IMU calibration before the update. But you can do a cold IMU calibration after the update.
2016-12-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fans940eaa4e Posted at 2016-12-30 18:15
Hi Jeromeo,   I just needed some assurance to not touch the IMU.  I have a P4 and one time right after I did the calibration it dropped form the sky and landed in a lake.   I was able to fly back but had to send in for repairs.  Thanks much for your response.

Normally, IMU calibration will not cause  the aircraft drop from the syk.
Did you request a data analysis?
2016-12-31
Use props
fans940eaa4e
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-31 00:01
Normally, IMU calibration will not cause  the aircraft drop from the syk.
Did you request a data analysis?

Hi Mindy,  The drop was on my Phantom 4.  I did get back but had to send in for repairs because of water damage.   

I am just worried about not doing everything needed but then not going over board doing things that are not really necessary.  I did fly the Mavic one time late at night just to lift off and hover about 10 feet and move around, but it did not seem to act properly.  Seemed to move in angled direction and drifted.   So landed.  I did not do any updates and have not flown since.   Will try again today if weather permits.
2016-12-31
Use props
fans959ffaa9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 261312 ft
United States

fans940eaa4e Posted at 2016-12-31 09:36
Hi Mindy,  The drop was on my Phantom 4.  I did get back but had to send in for repairs because of water damage.   

I am just worried about not doing everything needed but then not going over board doing things that are not really necessary.  I did fly the Mavic one time late at night just to lift off and hover about 10 feet and move around, but it did not seem to act properly.  Seemed to move in angled direction and drifted.   So landed.  I did not do any updates and have not flown since.   Will try again today if weather permits.

Did you calibrate the compass first by spinning it in 360's ?
2016-12-31
Use props
Jeromeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 103369 ft
Australia

fans959ffaa9 Posted at 2016-12-31 17:06
Did you calibrate the compass first by spinning it in 360's ?

I didn't calibrate my compas either. All indicators are on the green. I have been flying it everyday since Xmas in différente places and had absolutely no stability issues. The only thing I did calibrate was the sticks on RC and even this I don't think it was necessary.
I m just waiting from the Mavic to get GPS lock and I'm making sure that the App Go4 or litchi are started correctly and are stable ( they have tendency to disconnect when first started). I don't think it ever switch to atti mode once.
2016-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules