2357 13 2016-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ethanflux
lvl.2
Flight distance : 450190 ft
  • >>>
United States

Anybody ever experience low flying prop planes?  This is my second encounter in 2 weeks.  Some guy is flying his plane at like 200' and today he must have noticed my drone and increased altitude quite quickly.  Aren't those planes suppose to stay at 500'??
2016-12-31
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Take a note of his number and report it to the FAA if you think he's too low, other than that stay out of his way.

I didn't see any props on this one:-

20160310_134023[1] - Copy.jpg
2016-12-31
Use props
Ethanflux
lvl.2
Flight distance : 450190 ft
  • >>>
United States

AlecW Posted at 2016-12-31 09:03
I'm at 5.1 miles from a small airport and had a small prop plane cross my property at about 250-300 feet the other day.  Missed mine by 500 feet or so but it was a shock and a few mins before my drone was higher than him.  Maybe I was concentrating on my drone but it seemed like he came out of nowhere.

I've been keeping at 150 and below since.

No airports around here.  Most likely the guy not following the rules.
2016-12-31
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I've occasionally seen small planes buzzing houses at very low altitudes.  Illegal, but there are also irresponsible private as well as commercial pilots too much as drone pilots.

Military MOA nearby has the jet jockeys strafe the lake at 50 feet, and then punch the afterburners.  Interesting wake patterns in the water.
2016-12-31
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

Don't forget to wish the throttle jockey a Happy New Year!
2016-12-31
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

ive had fighter jets do it. was at a lake and nestled in between mountains I was flying well below the mountains when all of a sudden  a jet shot through over the lake Forest Service said they're not supposed to do that but even though they want to restrict drones because the pilots are not doing their job and flying with their supposed to
2016-12-31
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182913 ft
United States

Wow.thats close. I live in Seattle Wa. 1.7 mi's from Renton mun airport. 3 mi's from Boeing field and 54 mi's from Seatac international airport.  Here in this area there have been some close calls with com airlines. for this reason they treat us drone piolets like those people who shine lazer beams at planes. I still foy here but at my house...No more then 150 feet above take off point.  If you get cought flying to high it's jail time for you. lucky for me I live on the sauthern slope of a hill so even at 150 feet it would be hard for me to get in the way. Be careful....more then likly, they will take the word of a poilet before yours.
2016-12-31
Use props
P2-I1-P4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3657356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Stay below 400ft and they should stay above 500ft, and everybody live happily. And if there's an issue you have your DJI app record to show in court. In the US 400ft is the rule when outside of airport'd radius.
2016-12-31
Use props
P2-I1-P4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3657356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Stay below 400ft and they should stay above 500ft, and everybody live happily. And if there's an issue you have your DJI app record to show in court. In the US 400ft is the rule when outside of airport'd radius.
2016-12-31
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

In most countries, a pilot can request permission from the local area control to descend lower than the 500 feet mentioned, nothing illegal about that, and helicopters can do it any time. You have no rights as the pilot of a UAV, so just keep out of their way.
2016-12-31
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

I live in the mid-west......crop dusters seem to fly at tree top level. Just have to be aware of the sounds around you.
2016-12-31
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft
United States

I was at my lake house in the middle of nowhere in Minnesota, when all of a sudden I hear the engine noise of an engine noise coming from a float plane. Sure enough I was up 300 feet and he was parallel with me about 2000 meters out.
2016-12-31
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have 2 points on this
1.  It's difficult to accurately judge the actual height of a plane
2.  It's not correct to assume that planes have to stay above 500 feet.
Here are the US rules on minimum safe altitudes:  (Note particularly C & D)
§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA
2016-12-31
Use props
Rotareneg
lvl.3
Flight distance : 676634 ft
United States

While checking out the top of a hill I was surprised by a crop duster:

The max elevation above the take off point was only 175 feet, I was probably about 5-10 feet above the top of the hill.
2016-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules