New CF Props Flew Off, Bird Crashed!
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AustrianOak82
lvl.2

United States

Hoping someone can help with what happened tonight. Long story short, I picked up a P3A recently after coming from a P3S. Tonight was my 2nd flight with it and the 1st flight with the new CF props I got for Christmas. They were the 9450's. I put them on as usual, verified they were snug, and launched it in the air. About 30 seconds in, I was hovering at about 30 feet. All of a sudden, 3 of the 4 props flew off the unit and shot in all different directions about 100 feet or so. It obviously came straight down and broke the camera off, broke the shell in several places, and did some really bad damage. I inspected the motor threads and they looked fine to me. I looked down in the prop threads with a flashlight and it looked okay from what I could tell, maybe a little bit of stripped plastic but it's hard to tell because they are new.

Anyone have any thoughts on what exactly happened here? Anyone heard of this before? I filed a "repair" request and am waiting on further instructions. I had it recording and I found the file but it won't play due to an invalid format or something. Since the DJI app won't even open, I had litchi running so I am wondering if there is even a record of the crash.

Just to clear up some standard questions:

1. Yes, they were authentic DJI props. Packaging was legit and they have the proper DJI and 9450 markings. They feel solid.
2. Yes, I fully tightened them. I've attached props about 100 times and I made extra sure this time since they were new.

2017-1-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Wierd, never heard of 3 props flying off at one time. As to the file not playing, it is because the aircraft crashed and you did not stop recording. Put the SD card back in the aircraft and power cycle it to allow it to finalise the recording.
2017-1-1
Use props
AustrianOak82
lvl.2

United States

My other question is, I was running the Litchi app since the DJI Go App just crashes every time I try to open it. Is there even going to be a flight log to provide more information?
2017-1-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Sorry about the unexpected crash and hard landing. Wish you had video of the props taking solo flight...

Almost Sounds like you had your props on the reversed motor shafts. Bass ackwards. Haha

RedHotPoker

2017-1-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

AustrianOak82 Posted at 2017-1-1 20:27
My other question is, I was running the Litchi app since the DJI Go App just crashes every time I try to open it. Is there even going to be a flight log to provide more information?

There is a flight log, but not in the form that DJI will accept, if that is what you are thinking.
2017-1-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

AustrianOak82 Posted at 2017-1-1 20:27

To add to Geebax comment, the Litchi app will have a flight record but the Phantom itself has an internal flight data recorder that DJI will accept if you are sending the Phantom in.
2017-1-1
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Very sorry to hear about the crash, since you've contacted our tech support for and applied for a repair case, we'll take care of it.
Please feel free to let us know for any further questions.
2017-1-2
Use props
fans913aa526
lvl.2

Puerto Rico

Hello,
I use both the "standard" and the carbon fiber reinforced  9450 DJI genuine propellers on my P3S. Never had an issue with any of them. These propellers rely on friction to stay in place. They have to "fight" the continuously changing torque reactions, vibrations and heat. If you look closely, the only contact or friction areas between the motor and the prop are  a small "friction ring" right below the center hub; and the threads. I always keep these areas extremely clean. I have found dust, oil residues (from the top bearings), and small insects there. I just use a cotton swab with a little alcohol to clean up after every flight. Then I use these inexpensive motor "covers" until the next flight. More than 200 flights on my 3 P3Ss without any loose propellers, not a single one! Hope this helps.
2017-1-2
Use props
AustrianOak82
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-1 21:01
Sorry about the unexpected crash and hard landing. Wish you had video of the props taking solo flight...

Almost Sounds like you had your props on the reversed motor shafts. Bass ackwards. Haha

If they were reversed, the unit wouldn't even lifted off the ground. They weren't reversed.
2017-1-2
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

AustrianOak82 Posted at 2017-1-2 06:26
If they were reversed, the unit wouldn't even lifted off the ground. They weren't reversed.

No, she wouldn't even get off the ground with props on wrong motors, I have seen it done though, How the guy got the props to go on wrong motors must have been a chore!
So, 3 props let go? Did you find the props, are they in one piece?
Sounds like you may have got a batch of bad prop/threads/machining, to come off like that is unheard of
You did find the props, make sure you send those props, all of em in to DJI, i bet threads are not right
2017-1-2
Use props
vr-pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4668169 ft
Germany

I once had a prop fly off in cruise flight at 400ft (120m). The right rear motor had a "Motor Obstructed Error" and so the prop spinned itself off the thread (due to the suddenly stopped motor shaft I think).
I never found this prop on the ground so I can not tell the state of it.
Loosing 3 props at one time could mean that all (or three) motors braked suddenly and made the props spin off the threads. But I have right now no idea what could have caused this (besides very sudden or even insane stearing inputs like madly throttle up and down in short sequence...).
2017-1-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fans987d278a Posted at 2017-1-2 08:29
No, she wouldn't even get off the ground with props on wrong motors, I have seen it done though, How the guy got the props to go on wrong motors must have been a chore!
So, 3 props let go? Did you find the props, are they in one piece?
Sounds like you may have got a batch of bad prop/threads/machining, to come off like that is unheard of

Even with active braking, losing one prop would be a qualifier for an unusual award. Having three take off on their own missions seems so wrong. To nearly impossible. Probably not turning them down tight enough, what else could this be?

When you first start the motors, you can hear the motors momentarily speed up, which should engage the blades to be tightened if they were slightly loose. So losing one or more would be rather impossible. The Flight LOG files should shed some intersting info. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-2
Use props
AustrianOak82
lvl.2

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-2 01:53
Very sorry to hear about the crash, since you've contacted our tech support for and applied for a repair case, we'll take care of it.
Please feel free to let us know for any further questions.

I do actually. I posted a thread in the after-sales service section. Maybe you can help? Thanks!
2017-1-3
Use props
AustrianOak82
lvl.2

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-2 12:48
Even with active braking, losing one prop would be a qualifier for an unusual award. Having three take off on their own missions seems so wrong. To nearly impossible. Probably not turning them down tight enough, what else could this be?

When you first start the motors, you can hear the motors momentarily speed up, which should engage the blades to be tightened if they were slightly loose. So losing one or more would be rather impossible. The Flight LOG files should shed some intersting info. ;-)

That's the other issue. I was running the Litchi app at the time because the DJI go app crashes every time I open it (ongoing issue). So I am hoping the unit itself will have logs.
2017-1-3
Use props
XTREMEDRONE INC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7987028 ft
United States

AustrianOak82 Posted at 2017-1-3 05:49
That's the other issue. I was running the Litchi app at the time because the DJI go app crashes every time I open it (ongoing issue). So I am hoping the unit itself will have logs.

Yes the litchi app does have log files. To extract them the best way is to sign up for free healthydrones.com account and get the account token they provide for auto upload of log files and then in litchi setting you will see a spot to put in the token numbers and then hit sync. Healthy drone will now show you why dji failed.

In regards to people on this form you guys never seam to help. You guys all say they dumbest things then don't even try to help the person that has the issue. Do you really think he doesn't know how to tighten props, come on, and 3 of them? Then when he tells everyone that's not it people keep saying that's what he did. If you don't know for sure stfu. If you have any helpful info then chime in.

Sorry I hate when people don't help but how I can help is, I can say I don't know what happened for sure but I also got DJI PROPS IN CARBON from dji direct and I had 1 prop fail upon take off. Luckily it just fell over and destroyed my props but from the failed prop it came off not because I am dumb like other people but due to catastrophic failure of the composit threads of the prop. It just stripped them due to the amount of force being applied during lift. Luckily it happened on the ground so I am able to provide this info and it sounds like this might have happened to you.  I will try and post images once I find them again but it's been a little while.
2017-1-3
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

I've been using the DJI carbon props for months with no issues (other than a slightly off-center hub which throws the balance off).
2017-1-3
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

XTREMEDRONE INC Posted at 2017-1-3 06:29
Yes the litchi app does have log files. To extract them the best way is to sign up for free healthydrones.com account and get the account token they provide for auto upload of log files and then in litchi setting you will see a spot to put in the token numbers and then hit sync. Healthy drone will now show you why dji failed.

In regards to people on this form you guys never seam to help. You guys all say they dumbest things then don't even try to help the person that has the issue. Do you really think he doesn't know how to tighten props, come on, and 3 of them? Then when he tells everyone that's not it people keep saying that's what he did. If you don't know for sure stfu. If you have any helpful info then chime in.

You're own thought that not tightening 3 props is highly unlikely also applies to having them fly off.  This is a forum of users, not professional crash investigators.  The types of replies so far are the exact type you get posting on community forums.  There is nothing wrong with them.

Also, you literally posted this:

"If you don't know for sure stfu"

Then followed with:

"I can say I don't know what happened for sure"

Really dude?
2017-1-3
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"If you don't know for sure stfu. If you have any helpful info then chime in.

Sorry I hate when people don't help but how I can help is,
I can say I don't know what happened for sure "

Perhaps you should follow your own advice then. This is an open user forum where people with a wide range of experiences in life voice their personal opinions.
I'm sure you would agree that to lose three props on take off is a highly unusual and unlikely occurrence. So they either were faulty, or incorrectly fitted.
2017-1-3
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

AustrianOak82 Posted at 2017-1-3 05:48
I do actually. I posted a thread in the after-sales service section. Maybe you can help? Thanks!

We've replied your another thread, after receiving your units, our engineers will help you evaluate it and deal with the case according to after-sales policy.
2017-1-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

As we don't know why one prop goes flying off, we certainly can't explain three.

But we only voice the most obvious conclusion. Right or wrong, you can't blame the brain for thinking, common sense.

Hopefully your flight LOG will tell all... ;-) best wishes.

Get rid of the carbon fiber reinforced props. Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-1-4
Use props
AustrianOak82
lvl.2

United States

Well, I got word a couple of days ago that the repair of it will be covered under warranty. The reason is listed as: Warranty per flight data analysis.

So, this is good news. The bad news is that apparently it's being repaired and sent back to me vs being replaced even though it was only the 2nd flight. Guessing they are going to say that since it was on the 16th day that it crashed, that it isn't eligible for replacement since it wasn't the 15th day or under. My luck.
2017-1-21
Use props
Johnnyv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2798707 ft
Canada

Whats the advantage of the carbon props?
2017-1-21
Use props
Southtdi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14590 ft
United States

They are a stiffer prop and are supposed to provide less vibration for shooting video, etc. Carbon reinforcing is great for this. My question, as I have not got a set of these, is are they carbon all of the way to the threads. I have messed with carbon reinforced items before and the threads area is always usually reinforced with a metal sleeve, etc as carbon is brittle in this manner.
2017-1-21
Use props
XTREMEDRONE INC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7987028 ft
United States

Southtdi Posted at 2017-1-21 09:16
They are a stiffer prop and are supposed to provide less vibration for shooting video, etc. Carbon reinforcing is great for this. My question, as I have not got a set of these, is are they carbon all of the way to the threads. I have messed with carbon reinforced items before and the threads area is always usually reinforced with a metal sleeve, etc as carbon is brittle in this manner.

Quite the opposite I'm sorry to say. The carbon props make the bird nimble and fast but downside is due to the stiffness it's shaky and a little temperamental. Some of this can be corrected by by the gain but if you want smooth and fluid stay stock if you want fast and agile and not trying to make professional motion picture get the carbon. I almost always use them over he stock but any low to the ground or smooth shoots I would do for people I would use stock.

In regards to full carbon they are not. Actually they are not what you think at all. As most want to use vacuum carbon molds and show off the glossy carbon these are the reverse. This is a carbon core with the resin skeleton used on the outer of the prop. Reason for this is aerodynamics for one as the resin is a little easier to mass produce a more accurate design. Also these have to be in perfect harmonic balance i.e. This post they will come off kilter and break crack or just not function.
2017-7-6
Use props
#shotxclvck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3423297 ft
United States

these propellers are self tightening - unless you got the cheap ones with messed up threads even then how would you get up in the air then all of a sudden just like that .....I fly every single day and my son actually preps the flight so there is definitely more to this story....dont find the flight logs these guys will eat your "story" and spit the truth back at your face.....pretty awesome actually!   Just go get another bird and practice practice practice you don't have alot of flight time but you attached the propellers about a 100 times.....hmmm
2017-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules