Phantom Malfunctioned and Inverted! crashing into some sandy snow
921 10 2017-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shotgun10ga
lvl.2

Canada

So, Today i was using my phantom 3. I wont tell you how it happend because its a long story, but i can tell you that it went completely upside down and into a sandy snow bank. NOw my concern is about sand getting into the motors and messing it up, i have already let the drone dry, and i spinned the motors with my fingers to verify that there was no grinding noises. I turned the drone on and let it idle, nothing sounded odd. Do i have to worry about corrosion or sand still inside the motors?  Also, i notice if i rev the motors full blast and bring them down to idle again right afterwards, there is a huge vibration throughout the whole craft. Is that normal? Thanks.
2017-1-3
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

you may have damaged a prop or bent a motor shaft.  
2017-1-3
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

Are you running the motors without props? Anyway everything sounded great until you mentioned the vibration. If the props were on, one or more sounds like are unbalanced. Got a spare set to put on there? If the vibration was without props... wow! Yeah I don't know if I would give it much power without props. As the motors probably would be spinning many times normal RPM and the vibration might be (I said might be) normal at those super high RPMs.
2017-1-3
Use props
shotgun10ga
lvl.2

Canada

BillW50 Posted at 2017-1-3 15:49
Are you running the motors without props? Anyway everything sounded great until you mentioned the vibration. If the props were on, one or more sounds like are unbalanced. Got a spare set to put on there? If the vibration was without props... wow! Yeah I don't know if I would give it much power without props. As the motors probably would be spinning many times normal RPM and the vibration might be (I said might be) normal at those super high RPMs.

Yeah i had no props on when i got the vibration. there is still a fair amount of vibration with props and i get a bit of jello in my videos. but i also had that before the crash aswell.
2017-1-3
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

Oh it was there before the crash. Oh ok. Yeah probably an unbalanced prop. It probably would be a good idea to fix that. Otherwise the plastic body will start cracking if it hasn't already.
2017-1-3
Use props
shotgun10ga
lvl.2

Canada

BillW50 Posted at 2017-1-3 16:06
Oh it was there before the crash. Oh ok. Yeah probably an unbalanced prop. It probably would be a good idea to fix that. Otherwise the plastic body will start cracking if it hasn't already.

So it is really needed to balance the props?
2017-1-3
Use props
CCrew
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41568 ft
United States

shotgun10ga Posted at 2017-1-3 19:21

It's the second thing to try todo when you're seeing jello in videos, yes.

First thing is to make sure you removed the white foam block behind the gimbal that says "remove before flight". That was packing material.
2017-1-3
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

shotgun10ga Posted at 2017-1-3 19:21

Normally no for DJI props (as they are pretty good out of the box). For third party props, it is hit or miss. But as DJI props gets nicked and scratched, yes then they will need to be too. But you probably should change them by then anyway.
2017-1-4
Use props
shotgun10ga
lvl.2

Canada

BillW50 Posted at 2017-1-4 02:26
Normally no for DJI props (as they are pretty good out of the box). For third party props, it is hit or miss. But as DJI props gets nicked and scratched, yes then they will need to be too. But you probably should change them by then anyway.

Okay. there was grass stains and scratches on the props, i just bought a whole new set think that will fix the problem? and if not, do you think the motor is damaged?
2017-1-4
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can the drone still work?
2017-1-4
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

shotgun10ga Posted at 2017-1-4 15:01
Okay. there was grass stains and scratches on the props, i just bought a whole new set  think that will fix the problem? and if not, do you think the motor is damaged?

Well it would be easy to tell which it is. Just remove the props and fire up the motors. Any extra vibration from one as you rev them up and down? And testing props are easy. Just swap with the other diagonal one. If the vibration swaps too, it's the prop.
2017-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules