Is the 16gb iPad enough space?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The Cheat
lvl.1

United States

I'm thinking about buying an iPad mini 4 soley to use with my P3A.  If I buy the 16gb version, is that enough free space to run the app, and record some video screen capture, or would you guys reccommend I get one with more storage space?
2017-1-4
Use props
Chriscycling
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I use a 16gb iPad and its fine. Saying that I removed all the non essential stuff and only installed the DJI Go app.
2017-1-4
Use props
The Cheat
lvl.1

United States

Chriscycling Posted at 2017-1-4 12:27
I use a 16gb iPad and its fine. Saying that I removed all the non essential stuff and only installed the DJI Go app.

Thanks.  Also, out of curiosity, which iPad do you use?  I started looking at the iPad mini 2, but some folks were saying they had some video lag issues, and that the Mini 4 would work better.
2017-1-4
Use props
Jtahan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 481601 ft
United States

Correct me if im wrong since im an android user with the P3P, the video retained on the device is only 720p, the higher quality footage will be saved on the SD card. 16gb is more than enough for saving the 720 PREVIEW of your footage.
2017-1-4
Use props
The Cheat
lvl.1

United States

Jtahan Posted at 2017-1-4 12:57
Correct me if im wrong since im an android user with the P3P, the video retained on the device is only 720p, the higher quality footage will be saved on the SD card. 16gb is more than enough for saving the 720 PREVIEW of your footage.

This is exactly what I was wondering.  I thought it would be enough also, but these days you never really know how much space the OS is going to use up, or how much free space you'll need to do future OS updates...  I'm an Android user generally, and I never have anything less than 64gb of space on my other devices, so only 16gb sounds pretty limiting....
2017-1-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The 16BG version is fine, You do not need to store a lot of video on your iPad, as it is only a preview anyway, the real material is on the SD card in the aircraft.
2017-1-4
Use props
SimonH78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm using a 16gb V1 iPad mini without problems or any noticeable lag using latest firmware 1.10 and 3.1.1 go app
2017-1-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I was considering being a thrifty consumer buying a smaller memory version, but in the end, figured what the heck.
I bought an iPad Air2 Cellular 64gb. And so glad I chose the larger memory version.

A 16gb model, might well be adequate for your beginning needs, but later on, you might decide to add Litchi.
Plus there are numerous other drone related apps, weather apps, safe flying apps, no fly zone apps... List goes on
Drone and RC magazines, lots of other interesting & related stuff. I like to keep that content on my DJI flight dedicated device.
YMMV, which is great too. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-1-4
Use props
Chriscycling
lvl.3
United Kingdom

The Cheat Posted at 2017-1-4 12:42
Thanks.  Also, out of curiosity, which iPad do you use?  I started looking at the iPad mini 2, but some folks were saying they had some video lag issues, and that the Mini 4 would work better.

I tried a gen 1 iPad mini but had lots of issues. I now have an iPad mini gen 4 and it's great.
2017-1-4
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think that's totally enough!
2017-1-4
Use props
The Cheat
lvl.1

United States

Thanks guys.  I ended up ordering a Mini 4 with 32gb of storage.  More money than I wanted to spend for a tablet which will pretty much only be used for piloting my P3, but I want to make sure I have a seamless flying experience.  (As seamless as possible, anyway...)
2017-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules