Loss of video link - P3 Standard
12Next >
1469 45 2017-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
morganste86
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi, I'm new to the forum and drones. I have recently purchased a p3 standard but am having some problems.

I can connect everything up fine, but once I start to fly I lose connection to the video link intermittently. It seems to be at altitudes of over 30 meters.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S7 via WiFi, and all other settings seem to be fine.

I have uploaded a screenshot to show what happens when I lose the link.

Thanks in advanced if you can help!
Screenshot_20170104-175210.png
2017-1-4
Use props
Microcyb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

First thing to try is to, make sure you do not have other apps running.
Sometimes an app running in the background will try to get onto the internet and kinda muddle things up.
Also, try to insure you have a good LOS (line of sight) between your bird and the controller.
2017-1-4
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

Put your S7 into Airplane mode when using DJI Go app, this has been well documented and demonstrated by other P3S users.
2017-1-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

MerlinL14 Posted at 2017-1-4 13:20
Put your S7 into Airplane mode when using DJI Go app, this has been well documented and demonstrated by other P3S users.

Not always a good idea, as airplane mode in some phones also shuts off the WiFi connecvtion. Better to use 'do not disturb'.
2017-1-4
Use props
Ciro Italy
lvl.3

Italy

Do noto disturb prevents from incoming calls only, pur it in airplane mode and then turn on wifi
2017-1-4
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

I just turn off data to make sure there are no interruptions
2017-1-4
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

relink rc i have same setup
2017-1-4
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
United States

its not the phone its the link from bird to rc... phantom 3 standard transmits from phantom to the rc then rc to phone
2017-1-4
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
United States

you have vid its the control sig and gps
2017-1-4
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
United States

if phone wasnt conn. instead of green gps.. it would be a black image with red bar sayin disconnected
2017-1-4
Use props
morganste86
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks for all the tips, I'll try these and report back.
2017-1-4
Use props
morganste86
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Steve-76 Posted at 2017-1-4 14:07
if phone wasnt conn. instead of green gps.. it would be a black image with red bar sayin disconnected

The video actually stops and greys out until it reconnects itself for a few seconds then drops again.
2017-1-4
Use props
morganste86
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Its not great quality, but this might explain my problem a little easier...

2017-1-4
Use props
fansf5663a0b
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I am having the exact same problem, let me know if you have any luck with it! I have read A lot of threads about it being an issue with firmeware. If there's no clear fix I will be returning mine. Very disappointed with it to be honest
2017-1-4
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

fansf5663a0b Posted at 2017-1-4 17:51
I am having the exact same problem, let me know if you have any luck with it! I have read A lot of threads about it being an issue with firmeware. If there's no clear fix I will be returning mine. Very disappointed with it to be honest

This is not a FW problem, people keep posting things that are not so just because they read other posts about it. This is a device issue and an app issue. Or the video downlink (wifi) signal is being lost so there's no image to display.
2017-1-4
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Your device and the Go app are having an issue, or it's just a wifi signal issue. When this happens are you still in control of the drone? In other words, can you still fly the drone? Is the large LED on the RC green or red when this happens? Looks like from the video clip your in a urban area, are you? Is the drone out in front of you and right over your head when this happens, and which way to you have the antenna pointed? From looking at that clip your losing video downling signal, which is wifi. That's why those last three questions are very important. What is the drone's direction from you, antenna orientation, and location.
2017-1-4
Use props
morganste86
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi,

I still have full control of the drone, and the RC LED turns red.

I am in an urban area, yes. Although the problem is the same out in open fields.

The drone is out approx 40m in front of me when I've been testing this problem with the antenna angled upwards at approx 45 degrees.

The drone is forward of me, antenna pointing straight at it, location doesn't seem to make a difference.
2017-1-5
Use props
fans167f7396
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22953 ft
United Kingdom

Same here. I had no problems until the DJI GO app was updated and the maps changed from Google to "Here". I have gone back to the older version but due to work and weather I've not been able to test. Might be worth a try? I'll be really disappointed if it still doesn't work because I bought an aerial camera, not a toy to tinker with.
2017-1-5
Use props
fansf5663a0b
lvl.1

United Kingdom

fans167f7396 Posted at 2017-1-5 03:04
Same here. I had no problems until the DJI GO app was updated and the maps changed from Google to "Here". I have gone back to the older version but due to work and weather I've not been able to test. Might be worth a try? I'll be really disappointed if it still doesn't work because I bought an aerial camera, not a toy to tinker with.

I was wondering whether to try the litchi app to see if it does the same with that! It's £16.99 though. Has anyone use litchie? I have heard a lot of good things about it! If the drone still disconnects with this software then at least I know the problem is with the drone or rc
2017-1-5
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

fansf5663a0b Posted at 2017-1-5 08:08
I was wondering whether to try the litchi app to see if it does the same with that! It's £16.99 though. Has anyone use litchie? I have heard a lot of good things about it! If the drone still disconnects with this software then at least I know the problem is with the drone or rc

I too waited and sat on the fence about Litchi. But I did want to run missions out of radio range and I finally talked myself into it. And I have never regretted it. Love it much more than the DJI GO App. Not only for the extra features it sports, but with the normal mode as well. By the way, you can purchase Litchi and get your money back if you request a refund within 2 hours.
2017-1-5
Use props
fansf5663a0b
lvl.1

United Kingdom

BillW50 Posted at 2017-1-5 08:24
I too waited and sat on the fence about Litchi. But I did want to run missions out of radio range and I finally talked myself into it. And I have never regretted it. Love it much more than the DJI GO App. Not only for the extra features it sports, but with the normal mode as well. By the way, you can purchase Litchi and get your money back if you request a refund within 2 hours.

Oh really? Nice one thanks. I will give that a shot then. It does look pretty decent! Doubt it will sort my issue out but atleast I will know it's no my phone/software
2017-1-5
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

The drone is forward of me, antenna pointing straight at it, location doesn't seem to make a difference.

Antenna should be at 90 degrees to the aircraft ... basically so that antenna on aircraft being vertical ... your controller antenna vertical so they are parellel ...

If you have antenna pointing at it - then its at its weakest signal orientation to aircraft.

But even so - you should be able to get some distance ...

Nigel
2017-1-5
Use props
fansf5663a0b
lvl.1

United Kingdom

solentlife Posted at 2017-1-5 08:57
Antenna should be at 90 degrees to the aircraft ... basically so that antenna on aircraft being vertical ... your controller antenna vertical so they are parellel ...

If you have antenna pointing at it - then its at its weakest signal orientation to aircraft.

Yeah that's what I thought, my one cuts out at just over 30metres above or 30metres away from me. Have tried adjusting antenna to see if the feed will come back without any luck. I still have full control of the drone though but app says disconnected. I have had £30 toy drones go more distance lol. It's so annoying as it's a fantastic drone but this issue is really annoying me. I understand that in built up areas there will be interference but didn't think it would be at such a close range. Something just doesn't feel right
2017-1-5
Use props
fansf5663a0b
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Yeah that's what I thought, my one cuts out at just over 30metres above or 30metres away from me. Have tried adjusting antenna to see if the feed will come back without any luck. I still have full control of the drone though but app says disconnected. I have had £30 toy drones go more distance lol. It's so annoying as it's a fantastic drone but this issue is really annoying me. I understand that in built up areas there will be interference but didn't think it would be at such a close range. Something just doesn't feel right
2017-1-5
Use props
fanse82ff685
New

Canada

I had same issue with my samsung tab a with 5.1 lollypop i use my lg phone its perfect. I upgraded to samsung tab a 8 inch with 6.0 marshmellow and no problems
2017-1-5
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

I was also having video cut out at short range ... but not every flight.

But one day - my phone moved forward and reconnected !! When i moved it back over top of front face of controller - I lost it again. Weird ... then I thought - the WiFi antenna are inside the controller and face the top edge .. so when phone is sitting at viewing angle - its actually getting signal from the EDGE of the plate antenna.

When I fitted the Argtec ... of course now the antenna are external and rear face is flat to the tablet ... very strong signal.

I'm wondering about the video signal and what is really breaking down ... is it aircraft to controller to phone ... or is it controller to phone ?  Maybe the Go display cannot differentiate that completely and gives warning same for both ?

Fans ... adjusting antenna - indicates that you are adjusting the 5.8 stick antenna which is purely control ... the wifi video are the two plate antennae inside the controller you cannot adjust.

Nigel
2017-1-5
Use props
morganste86
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I do have an android tablet, but i dont think it would be powerful enough to run the app.

Another small update, i've been out and switched my phone into flight mode, with wifi on and i'm still losing signal. I'm slowly losing faith in being able to fly my P3
2017-1-5
Use props
morganste86
lvl.1

United Kingdom

By 90 degrees do you mean like this?
P3-Antenna-Position.jpg
2017-1-5
Use props
fansf5663a0b
lvl.1

United Kingdom

fanse82ff685 Posted at 2017-1-5 09:15
I had same issue with my samsung tab a with 5.1 lollypop i use my lg phone its perfect. I upgraded to samsung tab a 8 inch with 6.0 marshmellow and no problems

I am using an iPhone 7 plus with the latest software! I will try and Ipad or my wife's 6plus to see if there's any difference
2017-1-5
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

morganste86 Posted at 2017-1-5 09:42
By 90 degrees do you mean like this?

Yes ... think of it as ... having maximum area facing the aircraft and not the tip.

The picture is from DJI for a P2 ... but is same principal for us with the P3

Nigel
2017-1-5
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

morganste86 Posted at 2017-1-5 09:41
I do have an android tablet, but i dont think it would be powerful enough to run the app.

Another small update, i've been out and switched my phone into flight mode, with wifi on and i'm still losing signal. I'm slowly losing faith in being able to fly my P3

This might have been asked before, but have you tried to link the RC to the AC again.
Also what is your FW and Go app versions?

2017-1-5
Use props
morganste86
lvl.1

United Kingdom

WilliamM Posted at 2017-1-5 13:22
This might have been asked before, but have you tried to link the RC to the AC again.
Also what is your FW and Go app versions?

I'm going to relink the RC now, just as a precaution.

Funnily though i've checked the page on the app for the app/FW versions and its as follows:

App 3.1.1
Version N/A

Now i'm pretty sure 'Version' shouldn't just be N/A?
2017-1-5
Use props
fansf5663a0b
lvl.1

United Kingdom

morganste86 Posted at 2017-1-5 14:54

Funnily though i've checked the page on the app for the app/FW versions and its as follows:

Yeah mine is the same as yours! App 3.1.2 and version unknown. Not sure whether to try old firmware
2017-1-5
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

morganste86 Posted at 2017-1-5 14:54

Was the RC and AC power up and linked (green LED) when you checked the FW version?
Also, was this the FW as is (out of the box) or did you do a FW upgrade?
2017-1-5
Use props
morganste86
lvl.1

United Kingdom

WilliamM Posted at 2017-1-5 15:26
Was the RC and AC power up and linked (green LED) when you checked the FW version?

Yes, all powered on and connected as if i am going to fly.
2017-1-5
Use props
fansf5663a0b
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Just got this info off my app
IMG_0799.PNG
2017-1-5
Use props
fansf5663a0b
lvl.1

United Kingdom

fansf5663a0b Posted at 2017-1-5 15:59
Just got this info off my app

Anyone got any ideas, and could this be causing a problem. I got this info from the dji app home screen. Before you select the camera option, there's a small box type icon in the top right corner. Press and hold on this for a few seconds and this info come up
2017-1-5
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

fansf5663a0b Posted at 2017-1-5 16:01
Anyone got any ideas, and could this be causing a problem. I got this info from the dji app home screen. Before you select the camera option, there's a small box type icon in the top right corner. Press and hold on this for a few seconds and this info come up

No, that's a way to downgrade one FW version, it's just saying an older version was not found.
2017-1-5
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

fansf5663a0b Posted at 2017-1-5 16:01

I call this the Downgrade Firmware Menu. Someone else called it the Maintenance Menu. Otherwise just knowing it is there, I know nothing.
2017-1-5
Use props
fansf5663a0b
lvl.1

United Kingdom

WilliamM Posted at 2017-1-5 16:19
No, that's a way to downgrade one FW version, it's just saying an older version was not found.

Ok cool. I have decided to try and downgrade the firmware to 1.5.7, will have to see how that works out. See if this makes any difference at all
2017-1-5
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules