GPS in the Philippines?
966 3 2017-1-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Meeechz
lvl.1

United States

Traveling to the Philippines from the US.  First time flying international how does the GPS work if my cellphone plan is not cover in the Philippines?  Does the remote for the mavic pro run off my phones GPS or it's own?
2017-1-5
Use props
tigerdim
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75614 ft
Hong Kong

The RC has it's own GPS as you dont need a phone to fly the Mavic.
2017-1-5
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

That's a good question. The bird has its own GPS and you can fly without even attaching your smartphone -- my guess is at the very least the app would not be able to access map data w/o a data plan. Maybe you could cache maps in your hotel room using wifi ahead of time?
2017-1-5
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-1-5 16:02
That's a good question. The bird has its own GPS and you can fly without even attaching your smartphone -- my guess is at the very least the app would not be able to access map data w/o a data plan. Maybe you could cache maps in your hotel room using wifi ahead of time?

Correct. The aircraft has its own GPS, so there's no problem there. Even the smartphone's GPS will work fine without a phone plan, so both your phone and the aircraft will know their positions in space and relative to each other. The only thing you won't have is the visual maps, unless you cache the maps on WiFi beforehand.
2017-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules