Better shell for P3?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DanielJacobsson
lvl.2

Sweden

Wondering what the latest is on the bad shells to P3 are? If DJI has released or will release better shell that will not crack? If there is a manufacturing defect with the bad plastic mixture (as I understand it), then should not DJI sell new improved shells? I have no cracks but I suppose they will come, then I would like to switch to a better shell.
2017-1-6
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

If cracks happens to your aircraft sometime, please feel free to contact us, we'd like to help you evaluate it.
If it's caused by product faulty, and accord with our after-sales policy, then it will be covered by warranty.
2017-1-6
Use props
fansb62ad75b
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hello, I received a P3A for Christmas, sadly it had to be sent back yesterday after the 'stress cracks' appeared.... This is the second fault with the aircraft in as many weeks, had to send a batery back to them as well as it had a faultless cell...... not that impressed so far .......
2017-1-6
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

fansb62ad75b Posted at 2017-1-6 02:19
Hello, I received a P3A for Christmas, sadly it had to be sent back yesterday after the 'stress cracks' appeared.... This is the second fault with the aircraft in as many weeks, had to send a batery back to them as well as it had a faultless cell...... not that impressed so far .......

Do you have a photo of your "Stress cracks" or can you tell me where they are?  
2017-1-6
Use props
DanielJacobsson
lvl.2

Sweden

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-6 02:04
If cracks happens to your aircraft sometime, please feel free to contact us, we'd like to help you evaluate it.
If it's caused by product faulty, and accord with our after-sales policy, then it will be covered by warranty.

I have not encountered any cracks on mine, has barely adjustment used it.
It seems to be very common or unavoidable to get cracking. Wondering if you will make stronger shells for it, or if you need to buy a stock and changes each time there are cracks? How long is the warranty then? It does not feel good to send it around the world just to get a new shell that gives the same problem.
2017-1-6
Use props
fansb62ad75b
lvl.1

United Kingdom

The cracks on one of the arms
IMG_3424.JPG
2017-1-6
Use props
DanielJacobsson
lvl.2

Sweden

So I guess that Dji will not make a better shell for the Phantom?? and still sell the Phantom with shells that will get shell cracks in some time.
2017-1-7
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

DanielJacobsson Posted at 2017-1-7 23:47
So I guess that Dji will not make a better shell for the Phantom?? and still sell the Phantom with shells that will get shell cracks in some time.

There is a upgraded shell that has better support at the motor mounting points.
Here is a quote from DJI Natalia,
"If cracks happens to your aircraft sometime, please feel free to contact us, we'd like to help you evaluate it.
If it's caused by product faulty, and accord with our after-sales policy, then it will be covered by warranty."
So what is there to guess about? I have two P3Pro's with no cracks!
All things will fail in time with use. Choice is to fly and enjoy or worry.
2017-1-8
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fansb62ad75b Posted at 2017-1-6 09:01
The cracks on one of the arms

May I know have you contacted our tech support to report this case?
2017-1-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

DanielJacobsson Posted at 2017-1-7 23:47

We really understand your feelings,  we'll take care of the case if it happens to your aircraft and I've explained it.
2017-1-10
Use props
DanielJacobsson
lvl.2

Sweden

Stinky711 Posted at 2017-1-8 11:49
There is a upgraded shell that has better support at the motor mounting points.
Here is a quote from DJI Natalia,
"If cracks happens to your aircraft sometime, please feel free to contact us, we'd like to help you evaluate it.

I have read that even the new shell cracks.
2017-1-10
Use props
DanielJacobsson
lvl.2

Sweden

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-10 02:38
We really understand your feelings,  we'll take care of the case if it happens to your aircraft and I've explained it.

Ok, if I get cracks I will talk to you about it. I hope i dont get any. I hade two p2 with no cracks.
2017-1-10
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

DanielJacobsson Posted at 2017-1-10 06:57
Ok, if I get cracks I will talk to you about it. I hope i dont get any. I hade two p2 with no cracks.

You will for sure get them. Almost guaranteed. There has been a lot of discussion about this. I know a lot of people including myself have used the "Weld-4" solvent to fix such cracks. It works extremely well and you don't have to take the shells apart. I suppose at some point I will have to replace the shells, but it is unfortunate that DJI does not improve the quality. Probably a cost issue with changing the tooling.
Don't get to freaked out if you notice some cracks. I had mine for a long time before any showed up and then all at once I had several. I have never crashed or hard-landed. I think the material just finally gives up.
2017-1-10
Use props
fansb62ad75b
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I have sent back my aircraft to your Holland work shop, fingers crossed it will soon RTH ! I hope that they do not reappear .....
2017-1-10
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft
United States

Dji just announced on their website they have stopped production of the P3. So that should answer the question of any design changes. Their paper thin shell is great for maximizing flight times, but doesn't always hold up structurally, especially around the motors.
FYI: Mine is 1-1/2 years old, flown sensibly most every day and no cracks. (I did add StrongArm reinforcement plates under the motors though) However my camera just blinked out a few days ago. If a new flat ribbon cable doesn't fix it, Mavic - here I come!
2017-1-10
Use props
DanielJacobsson
lvl.2

Sweden

Rnfaust Posted at 2017-1-10 07:52
Dji just announced on their website they have stopped production of the P3. So that should answer the question of any design changes. Their paper thin shell is great for maximizing flight times, but doesn't always hold up structurally, especially around the motors.
FYI: Mine is 1-1/2 years old, flown sensibly most every day and no cracks. (I did add StrongArm reinforcement plates under the motors though) However my camera just blinked out a few days ago. If a new flat ribbon cable doesn't fix it, Mavic - here I come!

Ok, that was interestning. Hope that there is maby a new shell soon then. Will read about this later
2017-1-10
Use props
DanielJacobsson
lvl.2

Sweden

Rnfaust Posted at 2017-1-10 07:52

Where did you read that, I cant find it.
2017-1-10
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft
United States

DanielJacobsson Posted at 2017-1-10 11:10
Where did you read that, I cant find it.

It was a popup when I went to my P3A download page.
http://www.dji.com/phantom-3-adv/info#downloads
I think the new shell design at this point is called Mavic and P4A.

BTW: found this in the description of the P4A: "The adoption of titanium alloy and magnesium alloy construction increases the rigidity of the airframe and reduces weight, making the
Phantom 4 Pro similar in weight to the Phantom 4"
That sounds good!
http://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro
2017-1-10
Use props
Jtahan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 481601 ft
United States

its crazy how many cracks im hearing about...ive had mine for just over a year now, flipped it on take off once, and crashed it hard from about 15-20 feet up...i inspected the hell out of it and i have yet ( knocks on wood) to see a crack.
2017-1-10
Use props
DanielJacobsson
lvl.2

Sweden

Rnfaust Posted at 2017-1-10 12:20
It was a popup when I went to my P3A download page.
http://www.dji.com/phantom-3-adv/info#downloads
I think the new shell design at this point is called Mavic and P4A.

Thanks! Maby I will buy all the shells to P3 and make some money when people cant get them longer from Dji  ;)
2017-1-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Jtahan Posted at 2017-1-10 12:46
its crazy how many cracks im hearing about...ive had mine for just over a year now, flipped it on take off once, and crashed it hard from about 15-20 feet up...i inspected the hell out of it and i have yet ( knocks on wood) to see a crack.

Sorry for your crash, may I know have you contacted our tech support to create a repair case?
2017-1-10
Use props
Jtahan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 481601 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-1-10 22:43
Sorry for your crash, may I know have you contacted our tech support to create a repair case?

i actually needed a quick fix back when it happened so i ended up just buying a new gimbal/camera from you guys and went about my flying. The post above was more of me not understanding how so many are cracking from stress when my hasn't cracked from a solid crash
2017-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules