Gimbal Motor Overload?
4519 17 2017-1-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cian Ryan
lvl.1

Australia

Hey everybody,

This is my first forum thread, and I am currently in desperiate need of help. About 1 minute after powering up the aircraft, I get 'Gimbal Motor Overload' error message. I was not getting this message before the firmware update, but I was getting a shakey camera before I updated. The video bellow is not mine, but shows exactly what I am exeriencing, so I dont believe I am the only one.

Specs:
-camera : X3
-battery : TB48
-RC firmware : 1.7.60
-AC firmware : 1.10.01.40
-App version (iPad air 2) : 3.1.2

-Cian
2017-1-6
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can check the 2 cables that connect to the camera mount are seated.  Also, be sure the contacts for the camera mount circuit board  are clean... But it might need to be sent in to DJI for repair

Rich
2017-1-6
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Can you update the AC with the Z3,, I thought there was   some scuttle about not being able to use the Z3 to update the AC ?  I notice that in the Inspire 1 downloads page that there is a Z3 option for downloading , Cian is that the one you used to downlaod on your system ?  did you choose the Z3 in the  "select product"  description box like below .

I wonder if you downloaded the wrong FW, please let me know which one you downloaded to your AC and Camera on the About page , I dont see the camera FW version unless I missed it somewhere, if so sorry .

Let me confirm  this with Rich , I think he has the Z3.

donnie

select product.PNG
2017-1-7
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-1-6 23:20
You can check the 2 cables that connect to the camera mount are seated.  Also, be sure the contacts for the camera mount circuit board  are clean... But it might need to be sent in to DJI for repair

Rich

Rich , you own the Z3 camera do you not ?  If so can you confirm my post is accurate on my post #3

thanks

donnie
2017-1-7
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-1-7 05:43
Rich , you own the Z3 camera do you not ?  If so can you confirm my post is accurate on my post #3

thanks

Hi Donnie

I do not own the Z3, but I believe DJI Jamie confirmed that you cannot update the Inspire 1 using the Z3 camera at this time. The Z3 firmware is for the camera only. So you need to have one of the X3 or X5 series cameras for update the Inspire 1 to the latest FW.

All the best
Rich
2017-1-7
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

Cian,
So do you own the X3 camera ? and if so did you update the AC with it when you did the update ?
Then I believe if you own the Z3 would need to update that as well .  
donnie
2017-1-7
Use props
Cian Ryan
lvl.1

Australia

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-1-7 09:55
Cian,
So do you own the X3 camera ? and if so did you update the AC with it when you did the update ?
Then I believe if you own the Z3 would need to update that as well .  

Sorry for replying so late, but I am using the x3
2017-1-7
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

Cian Ryan Posted at 2017-1-7 17:39
Sorry for replying so late, but I am using the x3

Ok , so on the about page , what version does it say you have installed ? On the camera ?

donnie
2017-1-8
Use props
Cian Ryan
lvl.1

Australia

It says here 1.10.1.40 for the camera firmware.

-Cian
2017-1-8
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cian Ryan Posted at 2017-1-8 12:02
It says here 1.10.1.40 for the camera firmware.

-Cian

It appears you are up to date. Did this issue start after the FW update? Then you can downgrade the FW back to the previous one.  Inspire 1 Firmware v1.9.1.30
http://www.dji.com/inspire-1/info#downloads

If not, you should look a the cable connections and camera mount contacts.  

If everything looks good, it could be a hardware problem with the gimbal motors

Rich
2017-1-8
Use props
Cian Ryan
lvl.1

Australia

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-1-8 12:19
It appears you are up to date. Did this issue start after the FW update? Then you can downgrade the FW back to the previous one.  Inspire 1 Firmware v1.9.1.30
http://www.dji.com/inspire-1/info#downloads

Yea, I already did a downgrade yesterday, nothing helped, it was just as bad, so I went back up. I did notice that just before the gimbal overloads, the tilt axis reach about 50-60 degrees Celcius wish is about 130 degrees fahrenheit. The tilt axis is kind stiff compared to the other axis motors, Im not sure if that was there by manufacturing, but I doubt its a physical problem, because other people are experiencing the exact same thing!

-Cian
2017-1-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Cian Ryan Posted at 2017-1-8 14:37
Yea, I already did a downgrade yesterday, nothing helped, it was just as bad, so I went back up. I did notice that just before the gimbal overloads, the tilt axis reach about 50-60 degrees Celcius wish is about 130 degrees fahrenheit. The tilt axis is kind stiff compared to the other axis motors, Im not sure if that was there by manufacturing, but I doubt its a physical problem, because other people are experiencing the exact same thing!

-Cian

Hello Cian, if gimbal temperatures gets too high, it might caused the motor overload.
Please try to cool down the aircraft and test again.
If still no improvement, I'd suggest you to send it in for further evaluation.
2017-1-8
Use props
Cian Ryan
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-8 19:56
Hello Cian, if gimbal temperatures gets too high, it might caused the motor overload.
Please try to cool down the aircraft and test again.
If still no improvement, I'd suggest you to send it in for further evaluation.

Yea its kinda hard for me to send it in because I live in australia, but I will try!
2017-1-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Cian Ryan Posted at 2017-1-9 03:00
Yea its kinda hard for me to send it in because I live in australia, but I will try!

Please send an e-mail to support@dji.com with the following info, the subject should be " Forum support". We'll help you create a case.
Case illustration:
Full name:
Email address:
Phone number:
Shipping Address:
Zip Code:
Forum link for your case:
2017-1-9
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

Cian Ryan Posted at 2017-1-8 14:37

-Cian

Cian , at this point I think I would just send it in for evaluation , all your updates seem to be in order.

good luck Mate

donnie
2017-1-9
Use props
Cian Ryan
lvl.1

Australia

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-1-9 05:17
Cian , at this point I think I would just send it in for evaluation , all your updates seem to be in order.

good luck Mate

Thanks Donnie,

I am in contact with DJI and they are organizing an evaluation/reapir on the inspire. Hopefully this will fix all my problems.

-Cian
2017-1-10
Use props
Cian Ryan
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-9 04:20
Please send an e-mail to  with the following info, the subject should be " Forum support". We'll help you create a case.
Case illustration:

Thankyou,

But I have already created a case.

-Cian
2017-1-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Cian Ryan Posted at 2017-1-10 20:02
Thankyou,

But I have already created a case.

Ok, if you have any further query, please feel free to let me know.
2017-1-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules