Left side of frame consistently out of focus
1510 18 2017-1-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans2b72ee9e
lvl.1
United States

I have had my Mavic since they first started shipping and have been very impressed with it. But if there is any complaint I could have it would be that the sides of the videos and stills are consistently mushy. I was willing to live with that for the portability of the drone but now I have been seeing many others have had this issue and had it corrected. Since many more people have their Mavic now there are more videos to compare to and I now see that it's not supposed to be that out of focus on the edges. With my Mavic it is noticeable on the right side but much worse on the left. I really only hvae about 2/3 of the screen that is in focus and this is an issue I don't want to have if it's not supposed to be that way. I even noticed with some shots from yesterday that the sides seem to be darker than the what the center is. I have attached a few samples and if there's anyone that has been through this and had it corrected I would appreciate any help you might be able to offer. Thanks in advance!
DJI_0047.jpg
Mavic Sample_1.00_00_00_00.Still001.jpg
Mavic Sample_1.00_00_37_29.Still003.jpg
2017-1-7
Use props
Stewie Griffin
lvl.2
Canada

Oh yes, yours is quite horrible. I have the same problem, saw it within the first couple of days.  Tech support had me upload some pictures, verify current firmware and app version, use the manual focus (which is useless really), and in the end, sent me a label to ship it back.  They just received my drone and I'm waiting to get my replacement.  The problem is that you seem to have had your drone for a while, and I'm assuming that I will get a brand new one, but not sure if you would, maybe just a refurb.  

I've been quite patient with all this, but to be honest, this is a horrible oversight.  I think many have this problem, and it seems to stem from the lens not being aligned properly with the sensor.  If an iPhone, which is less than $1000 had this problem, there would be an uproar.  If you take a few images, first focus in the centre like you did, and then focus on the left, you will see that the left will now be in perfect focus, and the rest of the image will be blurry.  So its not a case of the lens just being soft in the corners.  

I would contact support and start the process.  I really don't know if they are replacing the gimbal / lens unit, of if we all will get a new drone, or a reburb unit, but yours is clearly unacceptable.
2017-1-7
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Fwiw, the sides being darker than the center issue is being called the hot spot issue, clearly visible in your third photo. Search the forum for the hot spot threads. There's some confusion over whether the hotspot is compensated for in jpgs or not -- was your third shot a jpg capture or a raw file later converted to jpg?
2017-1-7
Use props
fans2b72ee9e
lvl.1
United States

Stewie Griffin Posted at 2017-1-7 17:19
Oh yes, yours is quite horrible. I have the same problem, saw it within the first couple of days.  Tech support had me upload some pictures, verify current firmware and app version, use the manual focus (which is useless really), and in the end, sent me a label to ship it back.  They just received my drone and I'm waiting to get my replacement.  The problem is that you seem to have had your drone for a while, and I'm assuming that I will get a brand new one, but not sure if you would, maybe just a refurb.  

I've been quite patient with all this, but to be honest, this is a horrible oversight.  I think many have this problem, and it seems to stem from the lens not being aligned properly with the sensor.  If an iPhone, which is less than $1000 had this problem, there would be an uproar.  If you take a few images, first focus in the centre like you did, and then focus on the left, you will see that the left will now be in perfect focus, and the rest of the image will be blurry.  So its not a case of the lens just being soft in the corners.  

Thank you for your reply! Yeah I didn't really notice it so much at first and because I just concentrated on the center of the image. I also knew with their shipping issues at the time it could be a long time before I got it back so I tried to overlook it. Stupid on my part but I'm gonna try to get something done about now because it's just too noticeable to me. Thanks for your help!
2017-1-7
Use props
fans2b72ee9e
lvl.1
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-1-7 17:22
Fwiw, the sides being darker than the center issue is being called the hot spot issue, clearly visible in your third photo. Search the forum for the hot spot threads. There's some confusion over whether the hotspot is compensated for in jpgs or not -- was your third shot a jpg capture or a raw file later converted to jpg?

Thanks for your help! Yes this was a raw image converted to JPEG. There was no editing done so it's really straight out of the camera. I haven't noticed that until that shot which I think is because of the snow. It just made easier to tell it wasn't as bright as the center.
2017-1-7
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

fans2b72ee9e Posted at 2017-1-7 17:59
Thanks for your help! Yes this was a raw image converted to JPEG. There was no editing done so it's really straight out of the camera. I haven't noticed that until that shot which I think is because of the snow. It just made easier to tell it wasn't as bright as the center.

I'm curious -- how did you convert it from RAW? I ask because I understand there's an embedded lens profile that might have information meant to compensate for the hot spot. Of course, a given app would have to recognize the lens profile and act upon it for this to work as designed.

I haven't received my Mavic yet so can't test this for myself, but what people are saying is that standard jpg captures don't show the hot spot effect.
2017-1-7
Use props
fans2b72ee9e
lvl.1
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-1-7 19:29
I'm curious -- how did you convert it from RAW? I ask because I understand there's an embedded lens profile that might have information meant to compensate for the hot spot. Of course, a given app would have to recognize the lens profile and act upon it for this to work as designed.

I haven't received my Mavic yet so can't test this for myself, but what people are saying is that standard jpg captures don't show the hot spot effect.

I run all my RAW files through Lightroom and export them as JPEG. I  honestly haven't even taken any shots in JPEG with my Mavic so I'm not sure if there is any difference or not. I might give it a try tomorrow just to see and I will let you know if it is.
2017-1-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please upload the original images to dropbox and send me the link?
I'll help to check it.
2017-1-10
Use props
fans2b72ee9e
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-10 00:49
Could you please upload the original images to dropbox and send me the link?
I'll help to check it.

Hi Mindy. Thank you so much for looking into this for me! Here is the link below. I am also going to PM you just to give you a little more info. Thanks again! https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qh5mc ... mnxpXHh031x9oa?dl=0
2017-1-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans2b72ee9e Posted at 2017-1-10 14:33
Hi Mindy. Thank you so much for looking into this for me! Here is the link below. I am also going to PM you just to give you a little more info. Thanks again! https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qh5mc3ddcyb5q2h/AABKU1jZQUXmnxpXHh031x9oa?dl=0

Please fill in an online repair request form and apply for pickup via this link : https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
Besides, I'll help to report this issue. Thanks.
2017-1-11
Use props
fans2b72ee9e
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-11 00:54
Please fill in an online repair request form and apply for pickup via this link : https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area

Ok thank you very much Mindy! I think this is what I did a few days ago and have not gotten a reply yet. I will submit it again just in case but my reference number from the previous one is (388512)
2017-1-11
Use props
arc
lvl.2

United States

Its interesting to note that the camera on the mavic is not centered. So the left side of the camera lens will be less stable than the right. Hence the possible non-uniform blur. But your issues do seem to be worse than that.
2017-1-11
Use props
fans2b72ee9e
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-1-11 00:54

Actually the one I sent a few days ago was an email request for repair.  I just sent in a request for pick up and repair which I believe is what you are referencing to. Just in case you need it my case number for that is CAS-404799-N3B7F2. Thanks again!
2017-1-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans2b72ee9e Posted at 2017-1-11 07:59
Actually the one I sent a few days ago was an email request for repair.  I just sent in a request for pick up and repair which I believe is what you are referencing to. Just in case you need it my case number for that is CAS-404799-N3B7F2. Thanks again!

Thank you for your update. :-)
2017-1-12
Use props
DJI相机部大帅哥
DJI R&D Squad

China

Lens hardware issue, please contact the sales for rework.
2017-1-17
Use props
DJI相机部大帅哥
DJI R&D Squad

China

Lens hardware issue, please contact the sales for rework.
2017-1-17
Use props
LCWphotography
lvl.1
United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-1-18
Use props
LCWphotography
lvl.1
United States

Just wanted to update this thread in case anyone has had the same issue as me and wanted to know if it was resolved. I sent my Mavic back to DJI a little over 3 weeks ago. I have since had a replacement sent back to me at no cost and seems to be working perfectly so far. Dji said this was an issue with the camera and they covered it completely. I have never had to deal with Dji support with my other products but I'm very pleased with the way it was handled. If there was anything I could complain about it would be for a little faster turnaround time but that's a very minor inconvenience. The main thing is everything is working the way it should be and Dji backed their product appropriately.
2017-2-2
Use props
spoonlamp_
lvl.2
Flight distance : 301506 ft
Italy

Good to see a happy outcome for this with everything resolved.  I've had my Mavic for about 6 weeks but due to weather I've barely been able to fly it. Some recent footage though has shown me some strong blurring on one side of the imagery which disappears briefly when the I hit autofocus, as if the lens is being rotated forward and backwards through it, but then comes back at the same place. I'll need to do some proper tests on it and from reading these threads, do an IMU recalibrate and reset the camera settings before I start to worry though...
2017-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules