Flying in cold weather- Camera sweat
1181 4 2015-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
theguywiththena
New

Canada

Greetings
-20 here and sunny.  went out and flew today.  Seeing as it was -20 I decided when I brought it in I would leave my p2v+ in the garage as its around 0 that way I would no completely shock the phantoms components with a 40+ change.  After some time (.5Hour) brought the bird inside and realized the camera and gimbal were sweating.  I wiped the water off immediately.  I'm wondering how much water needs to enter the gimbal and camera for it to be toast.  I know the phantom didn't touch the snow so its just like how the pipes in your house sweat.  Correct me if im wrong but the water sitting on the surface in that small amount shouldn't have had any affect on it especially seeing as I wiped it up.
2015-2-15
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

yes, it isnt salt water, so fresh water if wiped off should be ok.  also, assume with those low temps that it is also very low humidity which should also help with any additional moisture you have in some crack you cant reach being absorbed back into the atmosphere.
2015-2-15
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

Hi, over the years as a pro videographer I have suffered with this condensation on equipment if shooting outside in the winter.  You are doing the right thing in bringing it back to domestic temperature slowly to minimise condensation. Providing you had no power on, and therefore no current flowing,my best guess would be that you are OK if you just let it dry out after wiping off the excess.  Phantoms have been known to survive a dunking in a lake !
best of luck

Cheers!
Rod
2015-2-15
Use props
manny
lvl.1

Norway

Another cold weather photographer checking in, condensation can be a bitch really. The worst thing you can do is obviously bring it in, panic over condensation, and run it back outside again for it all to freeze up! Last thing you want is water freezing up I side the lens elements.

What I've been doing is putting the phantom in its box (outside), and close the box completely. Leave the box inside a cooler room, and let it gradually catch up with the temperature of that room, before you bring it out of the box and then bring it in to the warmer parts of the house. Might be a bit over-protective, but while the batteries are charging I can't fly it anyway. Flew in -13 this weekend and used the process above, no sweat at all. Oh and by the way, I'm pretty sure I read in the manual that flying under -10 is not recommended, and flying under -20 could cause permanent damage to the battery... Which is not a good thing mid-air.
2015-2-15
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

the phantom2 is rated at -10 C, the camera on the vision and vision+ are both only rated down to 0 C.  the vision spec page doesnt even have an aircraft temp spec reference like the phantom2 non vision does.  it is prob in the manual tho.
2015-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules