Philippines, Manila in 4k (first time flyer)
1618 23 2017-1-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mikonou
lvl.2

Philippines

Hi Folks,

First, a big hi to the community here!

I purchased the mavic in October and finally received it at the beginning of 2017. Got to admit, I was extremely excited opening the fly more combo package. I immediately updated the drone, RC, and all the batteries through the DJI Go app. (I did not know of the DJI go 4 app at this point yet).

The DJI go app worked flawlessly. However, when I tried the DJI go 4 app, the drone started going "crazy". I would constantly lose connection to the drone, and after which, the drone would swing around a bit and eventually return home (I saw a few youtubes of this happening prior, so I made sure to set home properly.) Returning to the DJI go App, there was no problem. I really hope DJI can fix the DJI go 4 app as it has some pretty cool feutures. For now however, I will be sticking with the DJI go App. (If anyone has any suggestions or ideas as to how to make the DJI go 4 app work, do let me know. Using a Samsung s7 Edge).

the following footage is from my first time flying the Mavic in Manila, Philippines.

Prior to this I have never flown a drown, so most of the clip is really just experimentation and my attempt at color grading.

Music is by barefoot minded - Cruisin on. I love these guys and they hold a specially place in my heart as they played in my wedding last year.

As a long time photographer, I really enjoy thinking of the possibilities with this mavic. Previously drones have been just too big, I already carry 2 bodies, and a couple lenses and flashes/diffusers with me. The mavic is simply perfect for travel photography! Cant wait to try all kinds of things I could not previously accomplish.

Cheers,
Miko
2017-1-8
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Nice, but I really wanted to see the tops of those high rises near your launch point. ;)

Fwiw I think I read that you can't have both apps on your Android phone, maybe try deleting DJI Go 3.x before installing v4.0.1 and giving it another go?
2017-1-8
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

Congrats on your Mavic, Why dont you get the Litchi app?
For about $35 dollars is worth it.  and its a replacement of the dji go 4 app.
2017-1-8
Use props
Mikonou
lvl.2

Philippines

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-1-8 19:28
Nice, but I really wanted to see the tops of those high rises near your launch point. ;)

Fwiw I think I read that you can't have both apps on your Android phone, maybe try deleting DJI Go 3.x before installing v4.0.1 and giving it another go?

Thanks!

It was my first flight so I was taking it easy. I did get some footage of the top areas of the condos but they didnt turn out very good as for some reason the DJI go App decided to auto adjust my iso/shutter speed (maybe i have to AE lock but thats sooo weird... lol)

Will give the tip on the app a shot. Hope it works out. thanks again!
P.S. Will definitely try another run tomorrow after work to get that highrise footage. The area is wide and high enough to get a cool slide ascent I feel and definitely something I want to practice. Cheers!
2017-1-8
Use props
Mikonou
lvl.2

Philippines

stratosHD Posted at 2017-1-8 19:41
Congrats on your Mavic, Why dont you get the Litchi app?
For about $35 dollars is worth it.  and its a replacement of the dji go 4 app.

Heya, litchi app you say? mmm will check it out. thanks for the tip dude.
2017-1-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Nice video. Keep going. :-)
2017-1-8
Use props
NavigatorNL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

Looks good. Thanks for sharing!
2017-1-9
Use props
Mikonou
lvl.2

Philippines

Thanks for the comments. I will be checking out different areas of the Philippines and with the Mavic being so portable it would be more convenient to take around. (some of the planes here are still old 10 seater propeller planes for some domestic destinations).
2017-1-9
Use props
Mikonou
lvl.2

Philippines

Just a quick update, Ex machina seems to be spot on with his advice on the DJI go 4 App.

yesterday I took out my samsung S tab and used it in stead of my s7 edge. My samsung tablet did not have dji go app previously so I installed a fresh copy of DJI go 4. out of 4 or so 2min flights, I had no disconnect issues. I will try longer flights today after work to see if the problem is indeed with having both apps on the same device.

Thanks again ex machina.
2017-1-9
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mikonou Posted at 2017-1-9 19:32
Just a quick update, Ex machina seems to be spot on with his advice on the DJI go 4 App.

yesterday I took out my samsung S tab and used it in stead of my s7 edge. My samsung tablet did not have dji go app previously so I installed a fresh copy of DJI go 4. out of 4 or so 2min flights, I had no disconnect issues. I will try longer flights today after work to see if the problem is indeed with having both apps on the same device.

I have the GO APP AND THE GO 4 APP on the IPHONE 6S+ with NO PROBLEM.

Just a not to keep an eye on the Auto Focus !
2017-1-9
Use props
Mikonou
lvl.2

Philippines

ePetLicensing.c Posted at 2017-1-9 19:40
I have the GO APP AND THE GO 4 APP on the IPHONE 6S+ with NO PROBLEM.

Just a not to keep an eye on the Auto Focus !

Ill try it with an iphone later. It might just be a problem with the android system.  and yes that AF can be annoying lol appreciate the tip.
2017-1-9
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mikonou Posted at 2017-1-9 21:04
Ill try it with an iphone later. It might just be a problem with the android system.  and yes that AF can be annoying lol appreciate the tip.

You are welcome...and let see the top of those High rises .
2017-1-10
Use props
Mikonou
lvl.2

Philippines

ePetLicensing.c Posted at 2017-1-10 19:23
You are welcome...and let see the top of those High rises .

The weather has been pretty bad here in manila so I didnt get a chance last night. If the weather clears up today I will try to get run in this afternoon after work. Weather has been getting worse here in the tropics every year... global warming, melting ice caps.... Its a real bummer with the number of typhoons lately.
2017-1-10
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mikonou Posted at 2017-1-10 19:29
The weather has been pretty bad here in manila so I didnt get a chance last night. If the weather clears up today I will try to get run in this afternoon after work. Weather has been getting worse here in the tropics every year... global warming, melting ice caps.... Its a real bummer with the number of typhoons lately.

I'' take rain and wind any days over -10 degrees.. my pond waterfall FROZE and made  a TUNNEL on the waterfall amazingly COLLLLLLD.
2017-1-10
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Miko, did you launch from home? I live right across from you, in one of the buildings in the video ;-) Maybe our Mavics will meet each other up there one of these days! hahaha. I sometimes like to take it to MPC when I wanna test some stuff out with a lot of open space.
2017-1-11
Use props
Mikonou
lvl.2

Philippines

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-1-11 01:06
Miko, did you launch from home? I live right across from you, in one of the buildings in the video ;-) Maybe our Mavics will meet each other up there one of these days! hahaha. I sometimes like to take it to MPC when I wanna test some stuff out with a lot of open space.

Hey Jason, Yeah I launched from home. I actually stay very close to MPC. Mavics meeting in the air. Sounds like a video idea right there! I was just at the MPC today for some tennis actually. I was thinking of flying it but the weather has been horrible lately.

We should meet up at the MPC sometime.

Cheers!
2017-1-11
Use props
Mikonou
lvl.2

Philippines

ePetLicensing.c Posted at 2017-1-10 20:07
I'' take rain and wind any days over -10 degrees.. my pond waterfall FROZE and made  a TUNNEL on the waterfall amazingly COLLLLLLD.

I used to live in Boston, TOTALLY know how that feels. Id still take 20 feet of snow over a typhoon. Cuz at least I could snowboard on comm ave with snow lol.

top of the sky scrapers.

anyway, I managed to get some quick footage and some messily mixed up footage together. Mostly cuz the DJI go 4 app was still disconnecting and I had to switch back to the DJI go App, maybe its just the s7 edge. The iphone seemed fine, and ill be testing out the tablet some time. During the entire video the app kept disconnecting so I did the best I could in post to put it together.
2017-1-11
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mikonou Posted at 2017-1-11 06:57
I used to live in Boston, TOTALLY know how that feels. Id still take 20 feet of snow over a typhoon. Cuz at least I could snowboard on comm ave with snow lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjfMf-5edKY

The video says private...
2017-1-11
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

Nice footage and the 4K looks great especially with the sun behind the camera.  I assume that the flare into sun was possibly caused by the plastic gimbal protector. It might be worth removing and using an ND filter in that kind of situation.
2017-1-11
Use props
Mikonou
lvl.2

Philippines

My bad mate. Seems like youtube set it to private when I added their music (I usually use my own files). Should be fixed now.

Cheers.
2017-1-11
Use props
Mikonou
lvl.2

Philippines

My bad mate. Seems like youtube set it to private when I added their music (I usually use my own files). Should be fixed now.

Cheers.
2017-1-11
Use props
Mikonou
lvl.2

Philippines

A1000 Posted at 2017-1-11 09:22
Nice footage and the 4K looks great especially with the sun behind the camera.  I assume that the flare into sun was possibly caused by the plastic gimbal protector. It might be worth removing and using an ND filter in that kind of situation.

The gimbal was off. I purposefully aimed to try and get an even flare for effect. (though I didnt get it so even). I purchased some PYG filters off ebay the other day and am waiting for them too. I am still experimenting with what I can do with the mavic (or a drone), and there is so much interesting stuff. Ive got a cool trip planned next week to one of the islands here in the Philippines and cant wait to test this baby out.
2017-1-11
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

Mikonou Posted at 2017-1-11 16:06
The gimbal was off. I purposefully aimed to try and get an even flare for effect. (though I didnt get it so even). I purchased some PYG filters off ebay the other day and am waiting for them too. I am still experimenting with what I can do with the mavic (or a drone), and there is so much interesting stuff. Ive got a cool trip planned next week to one of the islands here in the Philippines and cant wait to test this baby out.

Thanks for replying, it's good to see the camera performance in different scenarios to understand the kind of flare that is created. Look forward to future footage
2017-1-12
Use props
Albatross911
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1708084 ft
Hong Kong

Mikonou Posted at 2017-1-11 16:06

The islands are so nice in the Philippines. I did some flight with a Phantom 2 in Malapascua a while back. It was great fun. Looking forward to your video!
2017-1-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules