1332 6 2017-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sstolk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 215558 ft
Netherlands

Hi there,

I'm awaiting the shipment of my Mavic Pro but there is one question I cannot get a decent answer on...

I have a ipad mini without mobile internet. Can I fly the drone without internet?
Or do I need to have a hotspot setup for the time being in the air?

Regards,

Sander

2017-1-9
Use props
sstolk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 215558 ft
Netherlands

Somebody from the chat told me: Yes, you can!
2017-1-9
Use props
Will_UK
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Yes no problems. Being running like this for a long time on a mini 4
2017-1-9
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

You can always use your cellphone as a WIFI hotspot to grab internet files before flight.  That being said, it;s probably safer to fly with WIFI disabled to avoid interference.
2017-1-9
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

You're good to go.

You don't need an active Internet connection (cellular or otherwise).  I wouldn't want to upgrade the firmware version in the field anyway, never mind over a cellular connection.  The GPS chip that is missing from the WiFi only models is only used for Follow Me in terms of functions.
2017-1-9
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

^I agree with BuzzCut.  You can fly no issues w/o it.  It is (I think) mostly used for the maps out in the field, BUT if your in an area that does not have very good cellar service or none at all, then you can't even get the maps to pop up when flying.
2017-1-9
Use props
DaveyG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 298094 ft
United States

Yes, you can fly. If you want Maps, make sure you cache the maps when you are connected to the internet. I hope you have an IPad 2, the IPad has a hard time with video.  
2017-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules