How to recover from an unplanned marine landing
1822 7 2017-1-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Peterg4
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I was toying with fixing something like a waterbuoy Keychain to my Mavic,  so that I have something to send back to dji if I sink it. How would you fix it to the Mavic and will doing so affect flight or the care refresh policy?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seatriever-Waterbuoy-x/dp/B001AGZY4K
41jf+qqdS3L._SY400_.jpg
2017-1-9
Use props
T_A_Rogers
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68537 ft
United States

This tool is smaller and more effective. That inflation device you found requires certain depths and is flaky with the type of weight our drones are.

https://www.amazon.com/GetterBac ... ellow/dp/B00GIYIU8Q
2017-1-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

T_A_Rogers Posted at 2017-1-9 14:47
This tool is smaller and more effective. That inflation device you found requires certain depths and is flaky with the type of weight our drones are.

https://www.amazon.com/GetterBac ... ellow/dp/B00GIYIU8Q

It's very neat and can manage the weight, wouldn't fancy searching Atlantic Ocean for it though, would be fine for rivers and some lakes, it's really cheap. So why not
2017-1-9
Use props
Mavrick
lvl.2
Jamaica

Thanks for the ideas guys as I really need something like this, but unfortunately IMHO I don't think either of them will work.
The Waterbuoy balloon is so delicate that I am pretty sure that if the prop edges or anything on the drone bumps into the balloon it will pop.
The Getterback is a tiny little thing (as shown in the video), its designed for when something drops right next to you. It would be impossible to find it unless you were right near the drone when it crashed.
I am going to search for other options.  I will post back if I find a better solution.
2017-1-9
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

90% of the time I fly above the sea. I wonder, if I ever have an issue and crash on the water. Even if I have care refresh , do they need to get the broken drone back?
What if I cant get mine from the depths of the sea? :
2017-1-9
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

stratosHD Posted at 2017-1-9 19:38
90% of the time I fly above the sea. I wonder, if I ever have an issue and crash on the water. Even if I have care refresh , do they need to get the broken drone back?
What if I cant get mine from the depths of the sea? :

Yup.
Minimises fraudulent claims.
Eg, If I wanted an additional mavic, I would simply tell them its a flyaway and claim another and hey presto... I have 2 pineapple pens.

They would also want to access the main board's SD card to assess if there was any non-pilot errors.
2017-1-9
Use props
Webassign
lvl.2
United States

If the water is flowing, wouldn't this makes it harder to track if you can't get to the site in time? Since most of the newer DJI drones will send back a last known gps location to your phone, I think it might be kind of tricky if the gps shuts off in water and it flows away with the current
2017-1-10
Use props
Peterg4
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Webassign Posted at 2017-1-10 20:59
If the water is flowing, wouldn't this makes it harder to track if you can't get to the site in time? Since most of the newer DJI drones will send back a last known gps location to your phone, I think it might be kind of tricky if the gps shuts off in water and it flows away with the current

I think I'd choose the circumstances under which I'd use such a device. Big reservoir - definitely, canal - yup, fast or violent waters.... I'd think twice before flying!

Anyhow,  I'm currently pondering putting those polystyrene balls on each foot.
2017-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules