RC with or without screen? General Consensus
6618 13 2017-1-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thefarmer
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

I'm about to upgrade to a P4pro but was looking to see what the general consensus was on having the RC with screen (plus) or stick your own device on the RC.

Assuming that I was to utilise an approved DJI GO device, is the performance equal to that of the P4pro plus e.g lag or hopefully lack of.

At the moment, I think i'm more in the 'without screen' camp based on the versatility that is available to you with your own device...

Many thanks.

2017-1-12
Use props
Barney2k
lvl.4
United Kingdom

There's a lot of talk about the screen being super bright and therefore very useful in bright sunlight, which is all well and good.
But I'm sure I've read on another thread that there isn't an option to install third party apps at the moment, even though under the skin the P4P+ screen is running Android.

Most people already own decent mobile devices, so the extra £230 might not be worth it (based on these prices).

It's whether or not you feel that there's value in having a screen that bright I guess?

For me it seems like the P4 Pro is better value.
2017-1-12
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Go without the screen and get a hood if you can't see. Gives you far more flexibility, likely at a much lower investment.
2017-1-12
Use props
Tommy Tenzo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33051 ft
  • >>>
United States

After having both my choice would be go without screen. I find it a lot less convenient. It's a hassle to review images and so much slower than my iPhone. And the app crashes.
2017-1-12
Use props
gabriel.magana
lvl.2
Flight distance : 177254 ft
United States

I have the screen version and I'm really happy with it. I know this is against what other folks are saying, but it's just been a great experience for me. I just turn on one device and I go. No cables, no separate app to run every time. It's just convenient.  Power on is quick.

Not sure why I'd want to run  any other app besides the GO4 app, too. Yes it's Android, and you cannot install anything on it (it does come with some social network apps preloaded). But I don't really care. I'd feel pretty silly using a remote controller for doing stuff like playing a game or editing drone pictures.  In any case, I always have my phone with me, and the convenience of not worrying about whether or not it's charged, and not having to take the extra step of hooking it with a cable up every time I want to fly my drone is really worth it to me.  To me, using an additional device every time  I want to fly my drone is just friction and extra work that I can avoid.  I'm always in a hurry, though, so I'll go for the more automated solution every time.

I've never had a crash on my P4P+ controller, I think I would be annoyed if that happened. But for me, the screen-included version has been an entirely positive experience. Add to that the screen brightness (which is really great!), and I am really happy with the integrated screen version.
2017-1-12
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

gabriel.magana Posted at 2017-1-12 08:55
I have the screen version and I'm really happy with it. I know this is against what other folks are saying, but it's just been a great experience for me. I just turn on one device and I go. No cables, no separate app to run every time. It's just convenient.  Power on is quick.

Not sure why I'd want to run  any other app besides the GO4 app, too. Yes it's Android, and you cannot install anything on it (it does come with some social network apps preloaded). But I don't really care. I'd feel pretty silly using a remote controller for doing stuff like playing a game or editing drone pictures.  In any case, I always have my phone with me, and the convenience of not worrying about whether or not it's charged, and not having to take the extra step of hooking it with a cable up every time I want to fly my drone is really worth it to me.  To me, using an additional device every time  I want to fly my drone is just friction and extra work that I can avoid.  I'm always in a hurry, though, so I'll go for the more automated solution every time.

I understand why you feel that way. Very valid points. I believe the flexibility more people refer to is not about games and editing though. But, I could be wrong. I was able to try out Litchi and a couple other apps that works with DJI quads, and those 3rd party apps gave me access to features the DJI Go did not have at the time. In some cases, it STILL does not have those features some find important/useful. I suppose the debate is kind of like Coke vs Pepsi, Mac vs PC, iOS vs Android though. Not everyone will like the same things, though there there are personal likes and advantages to each side.
2017-1-12
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think the + RC will be better once they release the next firmware update. The brightness and ease of setup is really great and not worrying that my phone isn't fully charged. Yea it's disappointing to not be able to use Litchi but I've only used it on my Mavic to do panoramas and I could always do them manually. The update is supposed to add DJI's GSPro app too.

The biggest annoyance for me with it is the inability to update the GO4 app which was already released a couple weeks ago for iOS and Android. But again once that gets updated I will be a completely happy camper.

I originally was going to wait for the Crystalsky monitors to come out which I think would be the best option but there's still no price or release date for them yet that I'm aware of.  
2017-1-12
Use props
sunny051488
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183891 ft
United States

The + screen provides great convenience and screen brightness but from what i've seen, its a hit and miss in terms of the lag, app crashing and issues with the RC. some are having a flawless experience with it, many are having crashes and lag. So it a risk at this point to go with the + with the screen built in. the go4 app on IOS is flawless so far. In the end it'll be up to your willingness to put up with the risk/time it takes for dji to put out an update to fix the crashing and lag issues.
2017-1-12
Use props
chrisgad
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I have the P4P+ too after a Mavic with which I used an iPhone 6. The + got me a bigger, brighter screen, simplicity and a faster setup, so I'm happy. Time to fly is not far off the Mavic, trading having to assemble the props against having to attach the iPhone.  I have to have a cellphone in a pocket for internet access, but that's okay.
2017-1-12
Use props
sunny051488
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183891 ft
United States

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D386%26typeid%3D386

Thats the risk you are facing.
2017-1-12
Use props
fans27dbd1f5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20030 ft
United Kingdom

I bought the plus and have to say I'm really disappointed with it . My main gripes are the continual crashing of the app and when you tap the screen you have to aim above the icon or letter you want .  Real lack of information from dji about the rc screen and its capabilities. I was a bit naive to think that as there were two USB sockets I should be able to disable the screen and use my iPad ,could this be a possibility in the future ? I'm sure the roc unir must have the capability??
2017-1-12
Use props
P4P+
lvl.3
United States

I love my +. Like the other poster, I don't have the need for other software other than DJI's. The convenience of folding the screen and putting it in the case and not having to charge up a device is sweet. After saying that, the regular version is sweet too. Connect your device and you're off and you saved $300 dollars. PS- the thread about the crashes now has the solution.
2017-1-12
Use props
thefarmer
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks everyone....some really useful comments/feedback there.  It seems a bit hit or miss with the '+'..you could have a flawless experience or you could have a nightmare.  
I think I'll go without the '+' for now and see what crystal sky brings along in the future.

Great forum by the way....a lot of activity.

Thnx.
2017-1-13
Use props
belkins
lvl.1

United States

thefarmer Posted at 2017-1-13 00:38
Thanks everyone....some really useful comments/feedback there.  It seems a bit hit or miss with the '+'..you could have a flawless experience or you could have a nightmare.  
I think I'll go without the '+' for now and see what crystal sky brings along in the future.

That is probably the best choice.  Got mine without the screen and went with ipad pro and have been very happy.  I read around a lot before making my purchase and it seems apple tablets seem to be the way to go.
2017-1-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules