"Battery Error" did I mess up the battery or is it a bad ESC board?
1318 5 2017-1-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JMack
lvl.1

United States

So I made the mistake of ruining my motors by using mounting screws that were too long.   Ruined the coils.  I started the drone a couple of times and it had errors initially before I found out what was wrong.  Not sure if the screws in the coils shorted anything out.

I ordered new motors, the correct motors (triple checked with DJI AND the seller).   Installed the motors and my phantom takes off PERFECTLY.

But after 5 seconds of flight, i see 4 red lights and the "Battery Error" message in the top left of the DJI Go App.  When the error hits, the battery status screen all goes to n/a and the phantom lands itself.  All four red lights underneath the phantom are solid when this happens.

I've double checked my solder connections with the motors.  They are all re-glued down with liquid electrical tape just like DJI had them originally so they dont shake loose.  I look at the battery levels before the error has a chance to show up and it looks pretty good as far as I can tell (please check the attached image).  

I contacted camrise who I bought the motors from, and they are suggesting its a bad ESC board, althought I've not received a single ESC board error.  Another guy said the battery could be bad now since I unknowingly ran it with the broken motors.

I also have test running the battery completely down and recharging it to see if I could possibly get it to reset in case that was an issue.

So my questions are this:

1. Should I buy a new battery and test that?
2. If it IS the ESC board is it possible I wouldnt get an ESC error?  
3. Is there a way to use that NAZA app or something to run some sort of tests on teh board to check for failures?

Thanks guys, I'm dying here I wanna take this thing on vacation with my family so bad, but dont have a bunch of $$$ to buy a new one.  any help would be amazing!!

Battery status in DJI GO app

Battery status in DJI GO app
2017-1-16
Use props
djiuser_byMIru3
New

Nigeria

Hi I am new to naza and I have a flame wheel octocopter. is it possible for me to use the battery from my old dji vision plus to power my drone?
2017-12-4
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Jmack firstly do you know anybody you maight be able to borrow a battery from to run a quick test?
Secondly it is possible to have a faulty esc board and not get an error depending on were the damage is on the board.

If you cant borrow a battery then i think you may have to fork out some cash and buy one even if you are getting false readings from withing the app you will always have a second battery anyway.
2017-12-5
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Trouble is when you short the coils with over long screws ---- this can cause a larger current to flow and damage ESC's or battery.

It really is a test and see situation now. The ESC's in a DJI do not have a large overhead in power draw, they are sized for the normal max demand of the motors. It needs someone experienced in DJI P3 to physically check the machine - online here is purely guesswork. But it is likely that one or more ESC are now damaged ... it could be the battery board - need to check out battery in another machine to see if it powers and flies normal. It would be better not to test anothers battery in your machine until that's done. Once you know battery condition - then can move on in the chain of diagnosis.

Nigel
2017-12-5
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

i would try your battery in another phantom to see if its ok,but the screws in the windings probley caused high current which took out the speed control.good luck.
2017-12-5
Use props
Zippo43
lvl.3
Flight distance : 387126 ft
United States

You stated that you runn the battery down "completely"......Dji and others  here ONLY  recommend to discharge it to the low of only 8% remaining  at  20 battery charges   and your critical battery warning is kinda low   and your battery warning is way too low also  !  Hope that you find the problem and enjoy it on Vacation !
2017-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules