Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Why does DJI GO app drain my phone-batt when not in use at all ?
12Next >
11268 67 2017-1-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

Dear DJI - Team !

I use a Samsung Note 4 and a SONY Xperia Z Ultra to connect to my Mavic. The Samsung is my everyday phone which I need professionally but once in a while use to RC my Mavic without RC-Controller in WiFi-mode.

I didn´t use it now for 2 weeks to RC my Mavic but EVERY DAY DJI GO app fires up by itself even after restart of phone and eats 9-10% of my juice.

WHY IS THAT ? Please stop this bad app-behaviour of DJI GO with an update ASAP, please.
2017-1-17
Use props
lildevilx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 264101 ft
Canada

its quite annoying... I've gotten into a habbit of force closing the app everytime i'm done with it. Its a little annoying but not as annoying as a phone with a dead battery....  (Using a OnePlus3 N)
2017-1-17
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

lildevilx Posted at 2017-1-17 08:24
its quite annoying... I've gotten into a habbit of force closing the app everytime i'm done with it. Its a little annoying but not as annoying as a phone with a dead battery....  (Using a OnePlus3 N)

The problem is. even at force-closing it pops up again after some hours. Today I already closed it 6 times !
2017-1-17
Use props
richard 1957
lvl.1
Canada

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-1-17 08:32
The problem is. even at force-closing it pops up again after some hours. Today I already closed it 6 times !

i must be one of the lucky ones, i have a iphone six plus and i haven't used or charged my phone in 3 days and my phone is at 89 percent .
2017-1-17
Use props
JohnnieYaz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5137874 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Samsung S6 edge + doesn't have this problem luckily.
2017-1-17
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-1-17 08:32

I would try reinstalling your DJI app and maybe restarting your phone and see if the problem keeps happening. It may have a glitch when you downloaded the app as I have yet to see this problem else where.
2017-1-17
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-1-17 11:07
I would try reinstalling your DJI app and maybe restarting your phone and see if the problem keeps happening. It may have a glitch when you downloaded the app as I have yet to see this problem else where.

Tried everything: uninstalling, installing, restarting my Note 4, force closing, killing with a killer app...... it comes back everytime after half an hour eating juice like hell.

Maybe this does not happen on iPhones but it definitely is a glitch in the software on Android-KitKat-Phones .......................
2017-1-17
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-1-17 23:47
Tried everything: uninstalling, installing, restarting my Note 4, force closing, killing with a killer app...... it comes back everytime after half an hour eating juice like hell.

Maybe this does not happen on iPhones but it definitely is a glitch in the software on Android-KitKat-Phones .......................

Is it DJI GO 3.1.1 or DJI GO 4.0.1?
2017-1-18
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2017-1-18 03:42

Hi DJI-Paladin

I don't have the mavic yet, but I downloaded the APP (DJI Go 4) to try this issue and can confirm it happens in Android 6.0.1 with a Galaxy S7 (SM-G930F) Going to the app manager and force closing the app solves the issue until the app is started again.

It's also sending data (it says 500kb received, 3mb sent just over this morning) during its background time.

If I can be of any help just let me know.
2017-1-18
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

Both ! Exactly as CuaC described ............ Thank You CuaC !
2017-1-18
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Germany

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-1-18 03:59
Both ! Exactly as CuaC described ............ Thank You CuaC !

You're very welcome. I've been testing the whole day and as long as you force-close it, it doesn't come up and drain battery again. It's not an ellegant solution, but I think you should try to do it as a temporarily workaround!

Cheers!
2017-1-18
Use props
Cwood
lvl.2
Flight distance : 97638 ft
Canada

I have also seen this on my samsung s7.  Couldn't figure out why my phone was draining so fast while on vacation (didn't have mavic with me) and found that DJI go was running in the background constantly. Force stop solved the issue and I now have a dedicated device for the mavic.
2017-1-18
Use props
TimeFlies
New
Norway

I have the same experience, 4.0.1 running in the background and using battery constantly.  
2017-1-18
Use props
Mikonou
lvl.1

Philippines

same experience for me. I have to force close the app (Dji go 4) to prevent the battery drain. Its a slight hassle, I would like DJI to look into the side USB plug of the RC while looking into the app also. I havent had any problems with the iphone I have, but I use my S7 edge way more than my iphone ><
2017-1-18
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

Update: DJI GO 3 + 4: had to force-stop now the 6th time today !!!!! Ate up 10% (!!!) of my battery. Switches back on by itself although banned from self-activation by an app-killer-app. Everytime it received approx. 200-250 KB of data and sent 450-650 KB of data. What the hell is going on there ?
2017-1-18
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Germany

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-1-18 07:36
Update: DJI GO 3 + 4: had to force-stop now the 6th time today !!!!! Ate up 10% (!!!) of my battery. Switches back on by itself although banned from self-activation by an app-killer-app. Everytime it received approx. 200-250 KB of data and sent 450-650 KB of data. What the hell is going on there ?

In my case it didn't restart by itself after being force-stopped. Did you force stop it using the default app manager or using your app-killer?
2017-1-18
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

CuaC Posted at 2017-1-18 07:52
In my case it didn't restart by itself after being force-stopped. Did you force stop it using the default app manager or using your app-killer?

app manager .............   now after 30 mins it turned on again .................. {:4_157:}
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-1-18 07:57
app manager .............   now after 30 mins it turned on again ..................

I'll help to report this issue to our engineers.
If I get any update or we need any further information, I'll let you know.
2017-1-18
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

This isn't new, I've been saying this for over a year now. DJI Go runs 24/7 even if you haven't used it in months. If you manually kill it, it will restart on its own. I gave up and have been using Litchi. There is NO reason for this app to run 24/7 other than data mining!
2017-1-18
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

Username Here Posted at 2017-1-18 23:10
This isn't new, I've been saying this for over a year now. DJI Go runs 24/7 even if you haven't used it in months. If you manually kill it, it will restart on its own. I gave up and have been using Litchi. There is NO reason for this app to run 24/7 other than data mining!

Correct ! This is bad programming or, if intentional, app-malpractice ...... (to spy on users ?)

My consequence: I will uninstall the app on my everyday-phone and leave it only on my Xperia Z Ultra (main smartphone for Mavic), because this one I switch on only when flying my Mavic ..........  

Or, later on, I will get the crystalsky ( Crystalsky ) if it turns out to enable better and more reliable active-track and follow me. If they spy then on their own devices I don´t care ............
2017-1-18
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Netherlands

I can also confirm (created a thread before) this is happening. It sneakily uploads stuff constantly to mothership (malware??). Just observe the "outbound" arrow on data.. this is very, very disturbing.
Active app detectors don't even see it yet it is active. After force-kill the misery starts again when switching network to wifi, switching on the phone or coming out airplane mode or...just because.
PLEASE!!! Update go4 to stop this, never had an app doing this.
2017-1-19
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

MacIak Posted at 2017-1-19 13:43
I can also confirm (created a thread before) this is happening. It sneakily uploads stuff constantly to mothership (malware??). Just observe the "outbound" arrow on data.. this is very, very disturbing.
Active app detectors don't even see it yet it is active. After force-kill the misery starts again when switching network to wifi, switching on the phone or coming out airplane mode or...just because.
PLEASE!!! Update go4 to stop this, never had an app doing this.

DJI: Update not only DJI GO 4, but ALSO DJI GO 3 (DJI GO 4 crashes on my SONY XPERIA Z ULTRA) and stop this auto-switch-on and auto-data-transmission behaviour !!!!!

.......... and, DJI, please get me right: I AM HAPPY with my Mavic PRO, until now it works flawless (well, tracking-functions could be improved ;-) ), it´s the best drone available right now, but app-behaviour stinks and DJI GO app is "part of the game" !

2017-1-20
Use props
KimmoM
lvl.1

Finland

Has someone tried (or can same one try) to capture and analyze data that DJI Go 4 is sending? It would be nice to know what is send and where to.
2017-1-20
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

KimmoM Posted at 2017-1-20 01:00
Has someone tried (or can same one try) to capture and analyze data that DJI Go 4 is sending? It would be nice to know what is send and where to.

Well, for this we might have to ask "chainfire" from XDA-developer-forum to find out. You would have to hack deep into a rooted android phone to find out ......................
2017-1-20
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

I'm glad I decided to read this thread. My Galaxy S7 has been draining much more quickly than usual, and I couldn't really figure out what was doing it. Today, after reading this thread, I force stopped DJI Go 4 and voila!! Back to normal battery usage.
2017-1-20
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-1-20 01:50
I'm glad I decided to read this thread. My Galaxy S7 has been draining much more quickly than usual, and I couldn't really figure out what was doing it. Today, after reading this thread, I force stopped DJI Go 4 and voila!! Back to normal battery usage.

Did it stay OFF permanently after force-kill or does it switch on again in the background after some hours ?

Plz, check
2017-1-20
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-1-20 02:09
Did it stay OFF permanently after force-kill or does it switch on again in the background after some hours ?

Plz, check

Well it's been about 5-6 hours now, and so far it hasn't started back up on its own. I'll keep checking.
2017-1-20
Use props
KimmoM
lvl.1

Finland

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-1-20 02:09

Plz, check

I think in my case DJI Go 4 stays off permanently after force shutdown. Strange thing is that I'm using xperia Z ultra too.
2017-1-20
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

KimmoM Posted at 2017-1-20 03:18
I think in my case DJI Go 4 stays off permanently after force shutdown. Strange thing is that I'm using xperia Z ultra too.

Tx for info, KimmoM ! I am still on DJI GO 3 since I had some problems with GO 4 on my Z Ultra in December. So double thanks to You, I will install now GO 4 latest version and give it a try ............
Is Your Z Ultra on latest SONY firmware and unrooted ?
2017-1-20
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

There's only one real explanation for this.

Diabolical software writing from the DJI coding monkeys again!

No other app on my phone(s) do this.  Its sloppy coding.
2017-1-20
Use props
Mrimstad
lvl.3
Norway

latest fw and my apps are always upp to date.
Still have to go to settings and force close the app to hinder battery draw.Xperia z3
2017-1-20
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Well... I have run the current versions of GO and GO 4 on a Samsung S5 and a Samsung Tab 7 (I think) and have experienced NO auto starts, except when the RC is connected.  So I don't think anything sinister is occurring.  Probably just the way it interacts with newer Android versions.  That being said, the problem should be easily fixable and this should happen soon!!!
2017-1-20
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

Griffith Posted at 2017-1-20 06:44
Well... I have run the current versions of GO and GO 4 on a Samsung S5 and a Samsung Tab 7 (I think) and have experienced NO auto starts, except when the RC is connected.  So I don't think anything sinister is occurring.  Probably just the way it interacts with newer Android versions.  That being said, the problem should be easily fixable and this should happen soon!!!

Maybe You misunderstood: the app does NOT autostart in the foreground (=pops up on the screen) but runs in the background (which You can only see when You open the battery-info in android settings and check the running apps) and transfers data although it is not connected to RC. This happens also after a restart of the phone:  just check ...................... You might see DJI GO running in the background when You open battery in settings
2017-1-20
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-1-20 07:44
Maybe You misunderstood: the app does NOT autostart in the foreground (=pops up on the screen) but runs in the background (which You can only see when You open the battery-info in android settings and check the running apps) and transfers data although it is not connected to RC. This happens also after a restart of the phone:  just check ...................... You might see DJI GO running in the background when You open battery in settings

This is correct, just open your apps and see whats running. DJI Go will restart and run in the background.
2017-1-20
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

It's nothing new, it's been going on for years and DJI is fully aware that it runs all the time.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-29694-1-1.html
2017-1-20
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

Username Here Posted at 2017-1-20 17:03
It's nothing new, it's been going on for years and DJI is fully aware that it runs all the time.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-29694-1-1.html

Thanks for the link to the Phantom-forum. I am somehow shocked about the ignorance of DJI-representative Ken !  Reading his posts/answers on the batt-drain problem shocked me.

How can one compare COMMUNICATION apps (FB, G+, mail, Whatsapp etc.) with apps serving ONLY a SPECIFIC task (RC of a DJI-drone?) as an argument ???????

What a bullsh... !

Social media/communication apps serve communication, which is the central task of a smartphone and OF COURSE they run in the background. We HAVE smartphones because we WANT this.

We DO NOT want apps running in the background and draining juice like hell if we use them ONLY for the special task to fly our DJI-drones once a week.

DJI STOP THIS !

I will check in my upcoming Galaxy S 8 with newest Android-version if I can withdraw ALL app -rights from the app and shut it silent finally. (with my Note Edge I can´t do it because I decided to stay with Android 4.4.2 due to it´s flawless function) It´s painful then to switch them back on every time I fly my Mavic but if DJI is too stupid or ignorant to deliver clean programming it has to be like that.

Since the problem is unsolved already since Phantom in 2015 obviously DJI is not willing to stop this spying on users.
Most striking is the fact that DJI does not even TRY to explain why the DJI GO app switches on in the background, drains battery like hell and transfers data to somewhere. Maybe NSA wants to know in detail what drone-users do 24h per day ..........................
2017-1-21
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Austria

Paladin ! Why so silent ? Is DJI not concerned on this issue ? Do they work HARD to solve this annoying problem (since 2015!) ? Is it such a problem to add some code-lines to prevent background autostart ? Or DELETE the code-lines that cause this issue ? Does DJI see the POINT that most Mavic-pilots do not want/cannot buy a seperate phone to pilot the Mavic BUT NEED THE BATT-JUICE for the MAIN task of smartphones to work with them and communicate throughout the day ?  
2017-1-21
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-1-20 07:44

Perhaps you're referring to  processes and services which run in the background.  They may start automatically  but more often are initiated by an application and, most often, do not terminate when the app terminates. They just sleep and periodically check for activity

Try rebooting your phone and look in the Application Manager under the Running tab. You'll see all sorts of app processes that start on boot.  I don't see any DJI services, until I start the app.

Several DJI services are started when the app starts.

After I terminate the app, there are remaining services running in the "background' - XGPushSvc and DJIHereMapService.  The interesting observation is that the DJIHereMapService continually restarts.  Evidentially if doesn't realize it has no running process to attach to.  That restart process is probably eating you battery life and likely some data usage.  

I see no reason for these two to remain.

Sloppy coding.
2017-1-26
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

The chinese want to spy on Americans don't you know? no but seriously on my nexus 5x i haven't really noticed this in fact i dont see it in my battery stats at all maybe its a samsung thing? i use a dedicated note 4 to fly with ill have to look at it next time i use it and see if it drains in the background after use
2017-1-26
Use props
fansb27e5e1f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 98990 ft
United States

Hey guys. Any updates of fix? I thought it was the cold but I just tested again indoors (18 Celsius) and it didnt last 10 min. It has happended in both DJI Go 4 and DJI Go, while using my Mavic and using my Osmo Mobile. What I just noticed is that when I plug a battery pack to my phone it will say it is charging, but when I open the DJI Go app, not only will it show it is not charging, it will start saying the battery is draining (even when the battery pack is still plugged)
If I close the app and go to my home screen, then the battery shows as charging.
This is definitly an issue with the DJI GO App. What other explanation.

Can you guys try the same thing and report your finding?

DJI, come on!!! One of the moderators was active at the very beginning of this thread, but suddenly stopped helping. Why is that?
2017-1-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules