Where Can You Fly - Social Acceptances - FAA Registration and Rules
1822 6 2017-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChuckC81
lvl.1

United States

Hello! New DJI Mavic Pro owner here in Canton, Georgia, U.S. and im trying to create a nice summary of the DOs and DONTs. Please help by correcting me, or by adding additional information that you believe is most helpful to a completely new pilot that has never flown any Radio Controlled aircraft before - which I think is quickly becoming the norm!

Many YouTubes show people scared about drones. If your drone is making someone uncomfortable (they think your spying on them, etc.) - you should reassure them your not, but its recommend you tell them you will fly somewhere else - to avoid confrontation. Be respectful so the person gives the next drone operator they encounter - the respect they deserve.

If a police officer is confronting you about flying your drone, tell the officer it is not a crime to fly a drone in public airspace according to Supreme Court Law, and ask that police officer to call their supervisor. Keep in mind, because you are not committing any crime, you do NOT need to show identification. Be respectful so the officer gives the next drone operator they encounter - the respect they deserve.

CITY/COUNTY
Most have not setup rules. It is recommended you pay to sign up to a local AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) club and fly at one of their 2,400 parks in the US. While at their parks, You will have the benefits of insurance, help and support of those experts!

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

STATE:
Each State has its own rules. Here, Georgia has banned all state parks, except one Veterans park very far south of me. Check your state's .gov site.

NOTE: The FAA considers 500 feet above private property - to be the public airspace. But they encourage most drones to stay below 400 feet. And I am fine with that, considering the higher and erratic windspeeds - are invisible to our naked eye - are known to cause loss of drones!
http://www.cleanenergybrands.com/shoppingcart/product_images/uploaded_images/wind-profile.jpg

Near my house, if I go past my property and fly over my subdivision, I fly 250 feet at a minimum and keep moving. If your hovering low and slow near someone's house - thats creepy and rude - and you deserve to get shotgun'd out of the air! Be Respectful of others privacy and concerns.
https://www.cnet.com/news/judge-rules-man-had-right-to-shoot-down-drone-over-his-hoause/

FEDERAL:
You CANNOT fly at National Parks, or National Monuments. Includes 59 full-fledged national parks, 350 national monuments, seashores and other sites run by the National Park Service, about 84 million acres in all. But you could walk around with your 4K stabilized camera and create some great high def videos to go with...

You CAN fly at any National Forest, as long as you adhere to FAA rules!
https://www.fs.fed.us/science-technology/fire/unmanned-aircraft-systems

FAA RULES:
DJI Mavic Pro Drones are considered Fly For Fun. Just need to register the drone, add registration* to drone itself, and remember the guidelines here
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/

*You CAN put registration number inside the Mavic battery compartment because it doesnt require tools. https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_ ... bel_Infographic.pdf
Safety Guidelines
  • Fly at or below 400 feet
  • Keep your UAS within sight
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence
  • Be aware of airspace requirements

And thats about it. I am still looking to join my local AMA club and read more to become a safer pilot, but I still would like YOUR thoughts and opinions.
Thanks for your input!

2017-1-21
Use props
fanse7d85542
New

United States

Nice post. FAA requiere to be 5 miles away from airports and heliports. Also it's requiered to call control tower. .. right?
2017-1-21
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 644669 ft
United States

fanse7d85542 Posted at 2017-1-21 11:16
Nice post. FAA requiere to be 5 miles away from airports and heliports. Also it's requiered to call control tower. .. right?

I currently have a drone hater who is going out of her way to drive by my house and call the local police whenever she sees me flying. Even if I'm flying no where near her or her kids.

She accused me of watching children at a local school (I was active tracking my sons walk to school when she first approached me to call me a creep).

I'll get the police incident report (to she what story she has concocted)  and call PD next time she harasses me..

Last time she called the police I was 200 ft up directly over a public space and no where near anyone, just filming the sun rise. See my thread titled "soccer mom calls the fuzz" for the latest developments.

#dronelifesux
2017-1-21
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

Hi all, thanks OP for this thread,
I started similar one Fly legally with MP few weeks ago, I wish to collect also the info on No-Fly zones in US and different EU countries, also info for traveling into different destinations etc...

There is also another similar thread "Lets talk: Drone laws in your country" here (not my thread but also interesting)

I would appreciate if we could combine the imporant info from all these threads somehow to keep it simple and available easily for anyone later on one place...
Any help is appreciated.
THX

2017-1-21
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

im going to print this and keep it in my wallet should i ever get harrassed by anyone including pd. i think all of us should do this so we always have the rules on hand to show anyone that maybe be confronting you.
2017-1-21
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

Note: to be specific: not legal to LAUNCH or LAND from/in national parks.

That's different from flying over...
2017-1-22
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

And it's fine to fly over EMPTY stadiums not being used.

Important to know your rights
2017-1-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules