Problems with Go App
3841 12 2017-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

I have two problems wth the Go app for my P3A.
When I connect my Samsung TAB E 9.7 with latest Android OS, it won't easily link up with the RC.   First time it was stubborn, I got it connected by turning off USB debug mode, though I found DJI recommends it be left on.   Once i get it connected the first time during a flight session it seems to reconnect readily if I disconnect between flights but on next session, say the next day, it won't connect though I have not turned off the tablet since.  A constistent workaround I found was to restart the tablet when connected to the RC.

Second problem.  Over by the radar in the lower left corner is the aircraft telemetry.   The last item in the telemetry is either an icon/data showing what looks like distance to ground as determined by the vision/sonar sensor and changes to person/aircraft icon when in flight.   The numbers it shows there is WAY off, showing values in the thousands.  Even before I received my drone back from repair, it was off with values in the hundreds.   Height, distance, vertical and horizontal speeds are accurate.  Flight path and distance/direction from home in the map is also accurate.  Why is that there anyway?  It seems redundant since you already have distance as the second telemetry data.

What is the point of the radar anyway?
2017-1-21
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

I just found another possible flaw with the app that might explain my second problem.   When not connected to the RC, the Go App is way off in showing my current position on the map.   I can't blame it on the mobile device GPS since Google Maps shows my correct position.  This occurred on the Samsung tablet and HTC 10.  On the HTC I just confirmed I have it set for high accuracy which has it use GPS, cell signal, USB, WiFi and Bluetooth to determine location.  It also shows GO app using this feature.
2017-1-21
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

DanMan32 Posted at 2017-1-21 19:10
I just found another possible flaw with the app that might explain my second problem.   When not connected to the RC, the Go App is way off in showing my current position on the map.   I can't blame it on the mobile device GPS since Google Maps shows my correct position.  This occurred on the Samsung tablet and HTC 10.  On the HTC I just confirmed I have it set for high accuracy which has it use GPS, cell signal, USB, WiFi and Bluetooth to determine location.  It also shows GO app using this feature.

Aloha Dan,

The flaw is not with the app.  Your Android device, like mine, is not an approved device.  That is why there are problems.  But, we solve our problems!

Well, you answered my first question with this second post.  What version of DJI GO are you using?  DJI just came out with 3.1.2 but the versions of DJI GO after 3.1.0 do not have Google Maps.  We fly a network of at least three computers.  Each computer in the network has to connect with the other two under wired and wireless conditions.  

Like you noted, sometimes it is best to turn on the remote controller before the device or soon after you turn on the device.  This allows the device to recognize and shake hands with the remote controller.  (BTW, this is a very successful way to solve computer connection problems but cannot always be done.)  Try your start-up procedure, while leaving debugging on, and see if it works.  

We need to know what version of the DJI GO app are you using?  There have been problems with the map not updating the position of the Phantom.  That may be your "thousands" problem or related to it but we need to know what version you are flying.  Maybe a newer app could solve that problem.

The last telemetry read-out is the Vision Positioning System (VPS) altimeter for landing when you get below 3 meters (10 feet).  For example, I live and fly in the jungle and like to go up to the "flats" where there are landing spots and even two landing pads we set up over grass.  I am not able to see the Phantom when it gets within 30 feet of the ground but the live view shows everything except my altitude.  When I get withing 10 feet of the ground, the VPS altitude reads out the local condition.  After a PAN scan for obstructions, I am able to confidently land using the VPS read-out.

The Radar is there to save your Okole when you get lost or disoriented.  The direction of the Phantom and the camera and the attitude of the Phantom are all represented in the Radar.  You might want to pay more attention to it and learn how to take advantage of its information.  It is kind of cool once you get into it.

The RC has no GPS at all and depends on the device for GPS orientation.  The Google Maps uses the GPS of the device to give the correct location.  If the RC is not connected to the device, DJI GO cannot locate you or the Phantom.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-1-22
Use props
pete-bo
New

United States

I found the same GPS problem and it is on both my tablet ( a Lenovo) and my galaxy phone.  both report I am 11,750 feet away from aircraft, like it is a hardcoded offset. Junk!  Please test this stuff more thoroughly before releasing it!  I found a older version of the app 3.1.1 online and installing it fixed my problem.  It's the app.
2017-1-22
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

There are so few Adnroids on the "approved" list that I can only accept it as saying it is "tested" on those.   If the app works for a particular version of Android, particularly if it has been tested by a certain brand of mobile device with a particular Android OS, it should work on all with only SOME exceptions.   It's crazy to lock it down to only about 20 mobile make/models.

I'm using the latest version of Go App that was released through Google Play so I would say that would be 3.1.2

I'm not sure how you can say the latest Go App doesn't have Google Maps, perhaps you were really saying that the map view does not obtain its data from Google Maps but the app still offers map data, satallite data and hybrid.   It seems to show the correct location when it is connected to the RC/drone.  The remote/app would have to get GPS telemetry from the mobile device, otherwise the "Follow me" feature could not work.   Besides, RTH function can still have its set point defined by the location of the aircraft or the remote with the current version of the app, so again, the app still has to be using the mobile device GPS.
You explained the last telemetry data given when the aircraft is within the vision position sensor range to ground an I already knew that.   What you didn't explain is what it is showing when it is above the vision position sensor range where it then shows data in the thousands.   Since there's already telemetry D - Distance, the last one seems redundant but has always had a different value, though now much bigger difference than before.

The only way I can get the mobile device to consistently connect to the RC is if I turn on the mobile device AFTER I have turned on the RC.   It might work turning on the mobile device and then the RC shortly after but that doesn't seem to make sense.  It doesn't seem to matter if debug mode is on or not though once I was able to establish a connection turning it off.
And it is the last data that's logged in the flight recorder.   At least that will give me more points though.

When I was asking about the radar, I was asking about the radar itself, not the data next to it.   I uderstand the textual data (except the last one as I mentioned).
2017-1-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

DanMan32 Posted at 2017-1-22 13:53
There are so few Adnroids on the "approved" list that I can only accept it as saying it is "tested" on those.   If the app works for a particular version of Android, particularly if it has been tested by a certain brand of mobile device with a particular Android OS, it should work on all with only SOME exceptions.   It's crazy to lock it down to only about 20 mobile make/models.

I'm using the latest version of Go App that was released through Google Play so I would say that would be 3.1.2

Aloha Dan,

The newer DJI GO and DJI GO 4 apps are way more powerful and demanding than the earlier apps because the newer DJI Phantoms have new and demanding capabilities.  Some of the older Android tablets and phones have been dropped from the approved list because they were not able to keep up.  The secret to Android devices is to buy the most capable device you can.   That is probably why the nVidia Shield K1 is the most popular Android device on the Forum.  It is only $200 but it is the premier gaming tablet on the market and will be good for DJI products for at least a few more years.  I have one and it is amazing.

So, you are using the DJI GO app 3.1.2 which is not the recommended app for the P4.  I wonder if your thousands problem is related to why the DJI GO 4 app is the recommended app?  The thousands problem could also be because your tablet is under-powered.  You may want to check on that.

The latest DJI GO and DJI GO 4 apps no longer use Google Maps.  The "Here" maps are now used for the satellite, hybrid and graphic maps.  They are not Google Earth maps.

The VPS data that provides altitude when the Phantom gets below ten feet also has another, somewhat redundant function.  The H (height) function shows altitude above take-off (Home) point.  The D (distance) function shows the horizontal distance of the Phantom from the Home Point.  The VPS data provides the hypotenuse of the triangle, or a direct line between Home Point and Phantom until the Phantom gets to within ten feet of the ground.

When I was answering your question about the Radar, I was speaking about the Radar, not the telemetry data or the VPS information.  As I said, the Radar is kind of cool once you get into it.  You need to understand what you are looking at.  It takes practice like so much of this new technology.

You seem to be pretty much up on your game, not too much was left to tell you.  If you try the DJI GO 4 app, you might find a much better and consistent performance and understanding of the circumstances.  If DJI GO 4 is glitchy for you, your Android device might be under-powered and you should then go back to DJI GO 3.1.2.  A more powerful Android device would then be in order because DJI will be coming out with more and more powerful apps to control the more powerful firmware and software of the Phantoms.

Aloha and Drone On?
2017-1-23
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

I don't believe the DJI Go 4 is compatible with P3 or earlier.  The 4 is for the P4 and Mavic.
They are still listing minimum Android OS as 4.1 where a machine with that old of an OS would not have much power.

There's a whole thread where the Go app 3.1.2 appears to have a big bug where one's mobile position shows over a mile WNW away from where you actually are and where Google Maps (not Google Earth) shows you to be.   I did note that the Tab E doesn't have a compass so it would not be able to show AC's direction relative to the direction I am facing.
2017-1-25
Use props
Peo
First Officer
Flight distance : 25409793 ft
Sweden

pete-bo Posted at 2017-1-22 13:27
I found the same GPS problem and it is on both my tablet ( a Lenovo) and my galaxy phone.  both report I am 11,750 feet away from aircraft, like it is a hardcoded offset. Junk!  Please test this stuff more thoroughly before releasing it!  I found a older version of the app 3.1.1 online and installing it fixed my problem.  It's the app.

Have  "Enable Amap (For China Mainland) On
And
Calibrate Map Coordintes (For China Mainland) Off
Then the map ar ok, But only on Android Phons and tablets
2017-1-25
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

Enable Amap when it says it is for Mainland China?
I downgraded to 3.1.0, now it shows my mobile location accurately.
2017-1-25
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

I tested the AMap on the tablet.  When you zoom in and out on the map, chinese lettering appears above English text for a brief moment, and it has outlines of buildings.   Turning off AMap and you don't get Chinese text or building outlines.
My HTC 10 smartphone still has 3.1.2 on it and when I go to select the smartphone location as the home point, it says my GPS signal is too low, even though I am outside.  I've never had GPS issues with this phone on any other app and it is last year's top of the line for HTC.
The tablet on the other hand now running 3.1.0, will let me select my tablet's position as a home point and it does not have a compass on it.  I bet that's going to prohibit me from using my HTC for Follow Me mode.

One of the other map options related to China is the compensation option which some say is to account for the intentional drift of position on their maps/GPS.   Could that setting be locked on in the code for 3.1.2?  I didn't think to turn this settnig on with 3.1.0 and see if the map shows my position just as far off as 3.1.2 does.

Another issue I've noticed with either version:   It isn't recording my all time maximum elevation for all my flights though the individual flights do show accurate max heights.

My HTC with 3.1.2 readily connects to the RC but the Samsung Tab E tablet is still stubborn about it where I have to power it off and on to get the two to communicate together.   File transfer mode is enabled as default on the tablet.
2017-1-26
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

By the way, I found a DJI video that explains the radar perfectly as well as other telemetry/map info.
2017-1-26
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

By the way, after what version of Go App did the Home Position button disappear on the main screen?
2017-1-26
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
United States

One other question: when I had 3.1.2 on my tablet, the map focus followed my drone.   Now the map stays fixed and I have to constantly press the "home in" button and select the aircraft symbol to see where it is relative to me and the "wand".   Was that how it worked on 3.1.0 or did I miss a map setting somewhere?
2017-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules