Future support and Firmware
1051 5 2017-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaveyG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 298094 ft
United States

Now the DJI has stopped selling the Phantom 3 (expect standard) and Phantom 4, how long are they going to support the product with firmware updates and support?  Has DJI issued a date?  
2017-1-22
Use props
digdat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft
United States

That's one of the big reasons you discontinue a product line, so you can stop offering updates and support. They are done with firmware updates and probably will only do Rma on hardware out of warranty.
2017-1-22
Use props
ePetLicensing.c
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Perform latest update and pray or sing that nothing will happen in the near future!

Protect animal population. Spayed or Neutered? and License  your Pet!
2017-1-22
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

digdat Posted at 2017-1-22 08:49
That's one of the big reasons you discontinue a product line, so you can stop offering updates and support. They are done with firmware updates and probably will only do Rma on hardware out of warranty.

How do you know that DJI will not be offering FW updates for those lines any more? I'll bet that that may be the case for the P3 series, but I doubt the P4 series. The Firmware code base between the P4 and P4P are almost identical, so you may as well suggest that they won't be supporting the P4P anymore too...

Anyway, I'm not aware that DJI have even made a formal announcement. This feeding frenzy is based on a 'dealer' communication. Which, of course, is not to suggest that there's no basis for the information, just that with no formal announcement we can only conject what the ongoing support commitment will look llike.
2017-1-22
Use props
digdat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-1-22 14:23
How do you know that DJI will not be offering FW updates for those lines any more? I'll bet that that may be the case for the P3 series, but I doubt the P4 series. The Firmware code base between the P4 and P4P are almost identical, so you may as well suggest that they won't be supporting the P4P anymore too...

Anyway, I'm not aware that DJI have even made a formal announcement. This feeding frenzy is based on a 'dealer' communication. Which, of course, is not to suggest that there's no basis for the information, just that with no formal announcement we can only conject what the ongoing support commitment will look llike.

Sorry, my comment was intended more-so on the P3 about firmware updates, not the P4. I base this on 15+ years experience in the software industry. I've been in positions where i was responsible for decisions such as discontinuing product lines, one huge benefit of discontinuing a product line is no longer having to provide updates unless absolutely critical or security issues. You can move your resources from supporting the older product/technology and move forward on the new stuff. I really hope that's not true ... but i wouldn't want p3 owners to get their hopes up about future updates. I hold off on p4
2017-1-23
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

digdat Posted at 2017-1-23 11:04
Sorry, my comment was intended more-so on the P3 about firmware updates, not the P4. I base this on 15+ years experience in the software industry. I've been in positions where i was responsible for decisions such as discontinuing product lines, one huge benefit of discontinuing a product line is no longer having to provide updates unless absolutely critical or security issues. You can move your resources from supporting the older product/technology and move forward on the new stuff. I really hope that's not true ... but i wouldn't want p3 owners to get their hopes up about future updates. I hold off on p4

Oh OK, understood - and some of my background is in software development and release also, so we're coming from a similar space.
I'd have to agree with the likely future for the 3 series, although it was reassuring to note a P3 update as recent as last November.
2017-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules