Gimble lock
1254 11 2017-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
newman0912
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3428 ft
United States

Don't know why I can't get it through my thick head to remove the lens/gimble plastic locking piece, but I've done it twice now since I owned the P3S.

Please tell me I haven't done any damage to the unit.

It seems to be operating just fine, but last night, I got my new battery from DJI, charged it, and ust put it in the aircraft and fired everything up on the dining room table just to see the battery readings on the DJI Go app, I got a message the gimble was locked, and sure enough - I forgot to remove the plastic locking mechanism again.

Hopefully I didn't break something, or wear something down.

Also, I guess I'm wondering, is it really necessary to use the locking mechanism if I'm really careful about handling the aircraft?

Thanks!
2017-1-24
Use props
marvzz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23835 ft
United States

You should be fine. You could paint it a bright color or put some sort of tag on it like this.  http://www.killerrc.com/wp-conte ... G-1-2000px-Logo.jpg
2017-1-24
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

I put a big red "Remove Before Flight" embroided tag on mine. I done it about 3 times before I put the tag on, not done it since.
2017-1-24
Use props
GeoffN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89564 ft
United Kingdom

I did exactly the same thing the first time I got it out the box...... that'll teach me for not reading the instructions.  I too was worried I'd broken something as there were a few clicking noises but everything was fine.  I thought the gimball and camera looked really delicate when I first saw them but after a few minor scrapes with trees, I realise they're tougher than I thought!!   They do seem to make alternative gimball locks which do look a lot easier to fit.............. I can't work out how to get mine back on again after I wrestled to get the thing off!!
2017-1-24
Use props
Baddpuppy
New

United States

GeoffN Posted at 2017-1-24 13:37
I did exactly the same thing the first time I got it out the box...... that'll teach me for not reading the instructions.  I too was worried I'd broken something as there were a few clicking noises but everything was fine.  I thought the gimball and camera looked really delicate when I first saw them but after a few minor scrapes with trees, I realise they're tougher than I thought!!   They do seem to make alternative gimball locks which do look a lot easier to fit.............. I can't work out how to get mine back on again after I wrestled to get the thing off!!

I know right!  I hate that thing.
2017-1-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Marvin has a good point, From what it sounds like, you may have lucked out. You may have remove the clamp in time to avoid motor damage. after enough timex, you may get some gimbal related issues.
2017-1-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-25 22:03
Marvin has a good point, From what it sounds like, you may have lucked out. You may have remove the clamp in time to avoid motor damage. after enough timex, you may get some gimbal related issues.

Built like a "Timex", takes a licking and keeps on ticking... ;-)

It's a very smart drone pilot that starts each time at the flight line, with his own preflight checklist...
Removing lens cap, gimbal guard, checking Mod values... List goes on!!
Do it a few times and it becomes second nature.
& if you need a keychain warning sticker, Remove Before Flight, so be it...

image.jpeg
RedHotPoker
2017-1-25
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-25 22:21

It's a very smart drone pilot that starts each time at the flight line, with his own preflight checklist...

At my age RHP every little bit of visual assistance is a bonus , now why did I come up stairs?
2017-1-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

MerlinL14 Posted at 2017-1-26 02:23
At my age RHP every little bit of visual assistance is a bonus , now why did I come up stairs?

Ok, let me guess, NyQuil? Hahaha

Ah, I needed a good laugh, so thank you. ;-)
Hahaha, ah man, too funny. Haha

Yes, well, 63 here, so we need cheat sheets. . .

RedHotPoker
2017-1-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-1-25 22:21

It definitely helps those of us that very often have 'selective' vision. That tends to hand in hand with 'selective' hearing, but a person can only tackle one obstacle at a time.
2017-1-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

MerlinL14 Posted at 2017-1-26 02:23

You have better memory than me if you made it up the stairs. I sometimes ask myself what I'm doing by the base of the stairs.
2017-1-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-26 11:19
You have better memory than me if you made it up the stairs. I sometimes ask myself what I'm doing by the base of the stairs.

Ok, I've had my morning go giggles, now I'm off to see the wizard... Hahaha
Thanks guys, love to laugh...

RedHotPoker
2017-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules