Restricted Zone Error Message
2377 7 2017-1-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KerryW
lvl.1
United States

Hello,  I just got a new Phantom 3 Standard . Went through some steps to do first flight today.  Then later today, tried to do another flight at same location got this error message

GEO System:  The drone is in a Restrcited Zone (Temporary Flight Restriction). Flight is Not allowed.  

I live in Potomac, MD (about 12 miles from the closest airport).  It is located also about 10 miles from Washington DC.   On the DJI website it looked like there is something about being able to unlock your account and get access to the locations.  I did download the app but not sure where I put in mobile # or how I see if my account is unlocked or how can I unlock the restriction?  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Kerry

restricted zone.png
2017-1-25
Use props
WD9EON
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

Drive up 190 until you get out of the White House NFZ.
2017-1-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Yes.  There's no unlocking the DC FRZ.  It's a permanent no drone zone.  No exceptions.  Head up River Rd a bit.  Or come up to Olney, there's a perfect field here for beginner flights.  
2017-1-26
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

First thing is DITCH Go 3.1.2 .....

Second ... watch this .... (android)

I live in a restricted zone ...  I do not recc'd ignoring the zones IF they are active ... but mine isn't ... Unlock ? No.

Nigel
2017-1-26
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

I wonder if it is really temporary or is the permanent one?  Maybe they set a temp is the Pres is moving in or out?  Keep trying it over the next day or so. Or do a search for TFRs and NOTAMs for your area..
2017-1-26
Use props
fansc36bb7fc
New

United States

Hi Kerry, just curious if shady grove hosp area is farther from DC than your area of Potomac.  If I'm 26 mi. from DCA could it work here?  Thx
2017-2-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Short explanation:  We can't fly within 15 miles.  It's a permanent restriction.  This area is called the DC FRZ and is within the DC SFRA.  We can fly 15-30 miles provided we follow certain rules.  This is the outer region of the DC SFRA.  

Detailed explanation:  You can fly 15-30 miles from Reagan National Airport and the White House provided you follow NOTAM FDC 6/2069.  I've flown hundreds of times within the outer region of the DC SFRA.  I've had people meet me out here with Inspires and P4Ps and have flown here - 19 miles from the White House.

DJI's restrictions are designed to keep us from breaking FAA rules and the law, but the area restricted by DJI doesn't quite match up perfectly with the DC FRZ.  The hard DJI restriction is a 25 km radius from Reagan National Airport which is a perfect circle, and the DC FRZ is not a perfect circle.  The DC FRZ 15-mile area actually extends from both the airport and the White house making it kind of egg shaped.  Since DJI's restrictions aren't quite aligned correctly, it won't allow flight in some areas where it's completely legal to fly, and it allows flight in other areas where it's completely illegal to fly.

If you're flying a P2 series, DJI's NFZ circle is centered a couple miles north using the White House as the radial point rather than the airport (it was moved south with the P3A).

I like airmap.io because it shows a no nonsense air map of the area.  It looks like the Shady Grove hospital area is clear, but you have to at least be aware of the heliports associated with those hospitals, and notify them if you think it's prudent.  

https://app.airmap.io/

Hope this helps.  

2017-2-14
Use props
#shotxclvck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3423297 ft
United States

washington has a 45 mile radius no fly zone around it
2017-2-14
Use props
Advanced