Mavic shutdown during flight !?!?
12Next >
5865 57 2017-1-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

So I posted my problem earliers but here is what happed to me today (DJI please take note!)

So this moring I went to fly my drone,Like I've done before i set everthing up put the drone on the pad, Did the auto lift off and let it set the home point.

Everthing was going great, had a great signle and 59% battery left, then i got a message on the dji go app (I think it said weak signle) so I hit return to home just to be safe, as soon as I hit that BOOM everthing went down, the controller went back to connect mode (87% battery BTW) and the DJI go app pretty much shut off and disconnect from the drone, Tho the map was still up with the spot where it had lost single.

At the point I was thinking its ok I hit return to home like I have before and it would come back, so I waited about 5min and nothing it never came back( EVEN tho on the map screen there was a green line going back to my position.

So I jumed in the car and drove down the road to where it was on the map, I pulled into the person driveway and there it was next to a camper and it landed on its feet and the lights were still on, the drone was little beat up few samll scratches the gimble was broken (looks like the mount) and all the blades were chewed up.

So i start asking myself what the heck happened, I checked the flight records and from what I can tell the motor shut off (around 320ft) and went into freefall from what i can tell and must of it the ground, and maybe somepoint after that im going by what the data sais it tried to take off again? So anyway as you can imagine im pretty upset at this point and would love some input on what might have happened???? TAHNK YOU in advance.
IMG_0823.PNG
2017-1-26
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

some more pictures
IMG_0836.JPG
IMG_0838.JPG
IMG_0835.JPG
IMG_0837.JPG
IMG_0839.JPG
2017-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Can you upload your logs to ht/tp://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ just follow instructions and post them here.
Sorry to hear of your crash. Good luck..
2017-1-26
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

Tried many times to upload to that link will not work.
2017-1-26
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Drew77 Posted at 2017-1-26 14:46
Tried many times to upload to that link will not work.

There's a typo in the link Hallmark007 posted -- http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-1-26
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

All i have are the DAT files
2017-1-26
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

the same happened to me a bit different but from 1 meter and when I was about to land. It destroyed my back props and scared the backside of the Mavic. It actually bounced and I make it hover after it initial fell.
2017-1-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-1-26 15:10
There's a typo in the link Hallmark007 posted -- http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Apologies to OP your correct..
2017-1-26
Use props
lildevilx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 264101 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-26 15:14
Apologies to OP your correct..

The files phantomhelp uses are the log files from your phone.

Out of curosity, what program do you use to read the dat files?
2017-1-26
Use props
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29452 ft
Norway

You say "it looks like the propellers were chewed up". That indicates that the motors probably did not turn off during flight.
2017-1-27
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

look at the Dat file above unless im reading it wrong near the end there is a sharp red line going straight down to 0 indicating the motor is off
2017-1-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

lildevilx Posted at 2017-1-26 18:54
The files phantomhelp uses are the log files from your phone.

Out of curosity, what program do you use to read the dat files?

If you look at this post you will see the way files download from PH easily readable no program needed.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &fromuid=260008
2017-1-27
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/NAJPK3RBILDFISC24I0T/#

Flight Data
2017-1-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Drew77 Posted at 2017-1-27 05:24
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/NAJPK3RBILDFISC24I0T/#

Flight Data

It doesn't show a lot from PH except everything was fine battery gps signal , it doesn't look like one motor cut off but rather aircraft just stoped, the last position in the picture was it below this that you found your Mavic or is some of the logs missing.
2017-1-27
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

Thats it from the log, i did not take those pictures from what i remember, And that is the area i found the mavic yes, but I did hit return to home I even took a screen shot which I posted, now even if it lost gps the fail safe should make it return home right? why did it try to land itself at that location??? Something to me just does not seem right, and the drone was around 320ft I had direct line of sight with it, its not like it was behind a mountain.
2017-1-27
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

Thats why I post the DAT files also, I mean something happened at some point looks at the graph..
GPS...0%
Flight Status...0%
Motor Status...0%
Altitude...-0%
So just from reading that seems to me it shut off and fell out of the sky at 320ft, Also I have a DAT that shows a huge spike in batt temp, did it overheat and shutoff?
2017-1-27
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Drew77 Posted at 2017-1-27 07:12
Thats it from the log, i did not take those pictures from what i remember, And that is the area i found the mavic yes, but I did hit return to home I even took a screen shot which I posted, now even if it lost gps the fail safe should make it return home right? why did it try to land itself at that location??? Something to me just does not seem right, and the drone was around 320ft I had direct line of sight with it, its not like it was behind a mountain.

If it loses GPS it can't RTH because it no longer knows how to get there.
2017-1-27
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

I'd open a support case and have DJI analyze the flight records -- the only other possibility besides your battery temperature shutdown I can think of is if your flight was interrupted by a bird attack. Good luck with it.
2017-1-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Drew77 Posted at 2017-1-27 07:12

The picture is just a sat pic, I'm not saying you did and I think if you did anyway there should be a warning, would you by accident have preformed a CSC emergency shut down ? I don't think you did, but just to clear it up you can play your flight back in the app and see right at the end of transmission what you were doing with the sticks.
I think dji might be able to find out more from your black box and logs..
Good luck...
2017-1-27
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

Yeah the CSC is the only way I know you can shut it off and no I did not use that command during flight
2017-1-27
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

Anyone else with any input I post my flight log of more people can give there opinions, CSC is ruled out the drone was traveling forward I checked the flight data, a bird is a possibility, but doesn't it seem weird how even the flight recorder just came to a complete stop??
2017-1-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Drew77 Posted at 2017-1-28 04:44
Anyone else with any input I post my flight log of more people can give there opinions, CSC is ruled out the drone was traveling forward I checked the flight data, a bird is a possibility, but doesn't it seem weird how even the flight recorder just came to a complete stop??

Most of dji aircraft have a number of redundancies, i.e. 2 IMU 2 compass , and other duplicates, but there is no redundancy for battery's motors or props on quadcopters unlike other aircraft for instance aircrafts with six motors or 8 motors,

So if you loose or break a prop, battery failure or have a motor failure, your quad will just drop out of the sky and there is nothing that will stop it.

Unlike a 6 or 8 motor aircraft if you loose a prop or motor or in some cases with craft that carry more than 1 battery you have some back up and maybe have more control to land these aircraft.

Because your aircraft , looking at your logs from PH , just seemed to stop as if it entered the Bermuda Triangle there is no way of telling from PH logs just what happened, and so maybe dji logs will tell you more.

I think dji in the future dji will try to duplicate many of the important elements that keep these aircraft in the sky like second battery,
But a major drawback for a Quad is loose a motor or prop or controller failure and they will drop from the sky. So maybe some sort of parachute safety measure may in the future become common on Quadcoptors .

I wish you luck in trying to find out what happened, and hopefully you can comeback with an update that is positive for you and we all can learn from your experience. Good luck..
2017-1-28
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

Thank you hallmark for the response i also find it weird that everything seems fine on PH then it just stops with nothing else
Did you look at the DAT files I posted also? Don't those indications in the graph show something went very wrong or am I just not looking at it right ??
2017-1-28
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

Dji Ken or any of the site admins willing to chim in on this issue, I see you are responding to other post and it's not as if there are hundreds of new post a day ( don't mean to be rude) but I have post the logs and some dat files in my post it would be nice to get some answers on this
So please I'm looking forward to some kinda of response or info what might have happened. Thanks
2017-2-1
Use props
fansdd2a126d
lvl.1

United States

I'm still kinda new to this and am not sure of all the settings or exactly how/what you were flying around. What I do know is that in certain situations with interference/disconnections the mavic will automatically do 1 of a few things. Either hover, return to home etc. Perhaps because the drone disconnected from the controller it was going to land at its current location. We're there any large metal structures/exposed steel where you were flying?
2017-2-1
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

Nope it was old farm land that is now being developed, there are only about 7 houses there and a tree farm next to that property, but what is strange is how everything just cut out the controller the dji app even the flight recorder on the drone stopped, that's what I don't get plenty of other people have crash and what not but the flight log keeps recording mine was about 320 feet in the air and just boom everything stops!
2017-2-1
Use props
fansdd2a126d
lvl.1

United States

Drew77 Posted at 2017-2-1 15:32
Nope it was old farm land that is now being developed, there are only about 7 houses there and a tree farm next to that property, but what is strange is how everything just cut out the controller the dji app even the flight recorder on the drone stopped, that's what I don't get plenty of other people have crash and what not but the flight log keeps recording mine was about 320 feet in the air and just boom everything stops!

Again just kinda spitballing here, i do have some knowledge of what happens when people get an overloaded battery. The drone goes into a failsafe mode and it would make sense to me that if there is an over discharge of the battery there would be something in the craft to disconnect it from sensitive components to prevent fire/harm the unit. So im assuming that thats probably the culprit IF it was an over discharge of the battery.

P.s. i worked on high voltage radar systems down to a component level. So i have seen circuitry to this effect.
2017-2-1
Use props
fansdd2a126d
lvl.1

United States

Also when I read what I read, which I will try to find and post a link of, the operator said that he watched the craft land and that it had landed hard. As if all the sensors were shut off.
2017-2-1
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

I'm no expert but I know about electronic and about heat and I'm no expert on drones but from what I'm looking at from the DAT files and the flight log I think it's a high probability that the drone overloaded and tried to land, I just don't know if it fell from the sky prob not 320 feet would be destroyed but the DAT file shows it fell from the sky goes from 320 to -0 very fast so I'm just not quite sure
But thank you for the input I appreciate it I just hope dji gives some input seems like they are selective what post they respond to.
2017-2-1
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

Yeah if it did try to land in spot it did a bad job it happened to land right between 2 campers in the persons driveway and from the gps location on the map that was at least 50 ft away from were the blackout accrued
2017-2-1
Use props
fansdd2a126d
lvl.1

United States

You don't have an extra battery do you? If it were me I'd throw the other battery in there, take it back to that field and put it up again to troubleshoot it on your end.
2017-2-1
Use props
fansdd2a126d
lvl.1

United States

Another thing I'm noticing in the image is it definitely looks like it turned off, hit the deck and turned back on, but I'm wondering how accurate that data is after that spike in temp.
2017-2-1
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

As soon as I get it back from dji I will test, and maybe they will have more answers, the gimble broke and all the propellers was beat up, so the day it happened I sent it back so I will keep this post updated
2017-2-1
Use props
fansdd2a126d
lvl.1

United States

Good luck man.
2017-2-1
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

Thanks fan for looking at the DAT file that's what I've been asking so many people to do, and yes from the file that's what I thought happened also and kinda makes the most sense thank you
2017-2-1
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

Well I got the quote from dji this is just crazy
IMG_0856.PNG
2017-2-2
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

They want $500 with no explanation nice dji very nice
2017-2-2
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Drew77 Posted at 2017-2-2 13:01
They want $500 with no explanation nice dji very nice

Wow that's steep! Must have really bent that thing over. Should be like a car, just declare it totalled and send you a new one. I'd be scared the gimbal parts are recycled
2017-2-2
Use props
Drew77
lvl.1

United States

Ummm yeah it was not beat up that bad at all lol, they want to charge me 90$ for a new battery why ?? they did not request i send one in, They dont even look at the flight records like i have asked and never got a email back, WOW DJI this is kinda sad
2017-2-2
Use props
Egika
lvl.2
Flight distance : 379593 ft

Japan

One more speculation: if the battery had a bad connection, it could cut power at once...
2017-2-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules