SD Card
1732 15 2017-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dave P
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207664 ft
United Kingdom

OK, so the specification according to Dji FAQ "The Phantom 3 Standard comes with an 8 GB Micro SD card, but also supports Micro SD cards with a capacity of up to 64 GB. We recommend using a UHS-1 or Class 6 Micro SD card to minimize delay when reading or writing high resolution image files."
I have also read that it should be Class 10, so I puchased a Verbatim 64GB SDHC Class 10 card and despite every effort and tried quick format, full format, recreated the primary partition Fat32, but it still shows SD card error in the drone. It works, at the correct size, in my computer and camera recording video so nothing wrong with the card.

I know a lot of people say the Sandisk Extreme, Samsung this etc. work but that isn't the point; I want to know officially from Dji what cards are supported, or preferably the actual requirements and why the one I purchased isn't as it meets the spec they provided. If this isn't the place to ask can somebody tell me where is please?
2017-1-29
Use props
Andy M
lvl.2
Flight distance : 292297 ft
United Kingdom

Hmm I may well be showing my stupidity here, as what I know of this subject could be written on the back of a postage stamp.
But could it be that sd cards bigger than 32gb are exFAT?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT
2017-1-29
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
United Kingdom

You would be right and have highlighted my 'deliberate' (not) mistake in that it was a 32GB card I purchased
2017-1-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJI are not known for keeping their written material up to date, the spec you quote dates back to the first release of the P3S, and is quite out of date. And if you get a response on here from a DJI support person, they will quote you parrot fashion the mantra about Class 10 cards.

However, even cards rated at Class 10 are not always compatible, some do not have write speeds fast enough for the job. Simply put, if the aircraft accepts the card and you can format it in the aircraft, it should work OK.

Yes, people do recommend the Sandisk Extreme and Samsung, because they work faultlessly. BTW, forget about formatting the card in your computer, it is best to do it in the aircraft becuase the aircraft knows what format it expects.
2017-1-30
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-30 02:40
DJI are not known for keeping their written material up to date, the spec you quote dates back to the first release of the P3S, and is quite out of date. And if you get a response on here from a DJI support person, they will quote you parrot fashion the mantra about Class 10 cards.

However, even cards rated at Class 10 are not always compatible, some do not have write speeds fast enough for the job. Simply put, if the aircraft accepts the card and you can format it in the aircraft, it should work OK.

But Class 10 means it can write at 10Mbs, so if that is what Dji stipulate, and they stipulate 6 even if it is an error, then that should be enough. The card is also UHS Class 1 so should be more than up to it.
I only tried formatting it on a computer and tried recreating the primary partition as the aircraft wouldn't format it and other people had success with these options.

Saying if the aircraft accepts it and formats it it's OK is correct but totally misses the clearly stated point. If Dji stated it has to be a Sandisk Extreme I would, reluctantly, buy a Sandisk Extreme, but they don't and should not dictate a certain manufacturer. That leaves the user in an unacceptable position of potentially buying numerous cards until one works, particularly bearing in mind they may not have seen this forum. It is reasonable for a manufacturer to provide a specification for accessories and for them to work if they meet the stated specification.
2017-1-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Dave P Posted at 2017-1-30 03:41
But Class 10 means it can write at 10Mbs, so if that is what Dji stipulate, and they stipulate 6 even if it is an error, then that should be enough. The card is also UHS Class 1 so should be more than up to it.
I only tried formatting it on a computer and tried recreating the primary partition as the aircraft wouldn't format it and other people had success with these options.

You can go on about it all you like, but as I said, DJI are not very good at updating their published material.  They have been giving bad advice about stopping the aircraft on the ground for several years, despite people having their aircraft flip.

I did not miss you point, what I am saying is this, here are the facts, known by experienced pilots, about cards. Either take them as offered or not. If you want to complain about DJI, then you will find it falls on deaf ears, but be my guest.

You are also not taking my point that the specs of cards are often a work of fiction, mostly by the people who sell them, and even the card manufacturers are playing games with the specs. A classic is Lexar, whose cards are promoted as being fast, yet independant tests have proved they are way slower than other cards.

From my point of view, members of this forum quite often come here and say that their SD card is not working and what should they buy. I always say to go aout and buy a Sandisk Extreme and that card always solves their problem. I is simply a matter of expediancy.

2017-1-30
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-30 13:42
You can go on about it all you like, but as I said, DJI are not very good at updating their published material.  They have been giving bad advice about stopping the aircraft on the ground for several years, despite people having their aircraft flip.

I did not miss you point, what I am saying is this, here are the facts, known by experienced pilots, about cards. Either take them as offered or not. If you want to complain about DJI, then you will find it falls on deaf ears, but be my guest.

OK, thanks for your help
2017-1-30
Use props
Imovetheearth
lvl.3
United States

Just "flew" across your post and thought I'd weigh-in........I put a ScanDisk Ultra Plus 64GB micro SD XCI and it looks like a 1, almost to small to read, but think it's a 1. I have alot of pics and videos on it and have yet to have any problems with my P4 reading it.
2017-1-30
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
United Kingdom

OK, I have to concede on finding out a spec and also the tests done by PC Advisor etc. contradict what is said here, so can anyone that has a working card that is 32GB or greater post the manufacturer, size, class, UHS rating and maybe a link to one please
2017-1-31
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Dave P Posted at 2017-1-31 00:20
OK, I have to concede on finding out a spec and also the tests done by PC Advisor etc. contradict what is said here, so can anyone that has a working card that is 32GB or greater post the manufacturer, size, class, UHS rating and maybe a link to one please

I am not sure what you are saying, but as I said before, the Sandisk Extreme, or Sandisk Extreme Pro cards all work without issue. I don't see any need to indicate the class, UHS rating or otherwise because all of the cards in those series are well and truly fast enough.

At one point in time, those cards were the fastest cards around. I have a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera and it required those cards in order to record CinemaDNG files of 1080p RAW. Mine are 32Gb cards and they work.

But if you want it, here is a link to the card on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 07c9&pf_rd_i=516866

And in support of what I said before, note the the Amazon site says it is a Class 10 card, but it far exceeds the class 10 rating, simply because Class 10 is the highest they ever came up with. It is an obsolete rating these days.

If you want the Extreme Pro, here it is, but I must say I don't see the point in spending the extra money: https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... &pf_rd_i=3015433011

2017-1-31
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-31 00:39
I am not sure what you are saying, but as I said before, the Sandisk Extreme, or Sandisk Extreme Pro cards all work without issue. I don't see any need to indicate the class, UHS rating or otherwise because all of the cards in those series are well and truly fast enough.

At one point in time, those cards were the fastest cards around. I have a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera and it required those cards in order to record CinemaDNG files of 1080p RAW. Mine are 32Gb cards and they work.

I'm looking to see which other cards work
2017-1-31
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

personally i would go with kingston or sandisk, or samsung. these manufacturers advertise the writing speed on the package, and i have 60MB/s and 90MB/s cards. no problem ever. however, fact is the camera never writes at bit rates above 60000kbs which is 8MB/s. as you see, any card 10MB/s or faster would work. the reason some dont is because they can't actually keep up for too long. i dont know why they say a certain speed then the dont keep it, i guess is a technical specification of class and U, but if you go with big names and proven models you cant be wrong.
2017-1-31
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Dave P Posted at 2017-1-31 00:20

Samsung 64GB EVO plus Micro SD SDHC/SDXC Card CLASS 10 UHS-1

I've been using this for a couple of months. All good.
2017-1-31
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
United Kingdom

WindSoul Posted at 2017-1-31 20:39
personally i would go with kingston or sandisk, or samsung. these manufacturers advertise the writing speed on the package, and i have 60MB/s and 90MB/s cards. no problem ever. however, fact is the camera never writes at bit rates above 60000kbs which is 8MB/s. as you see, any card 10MB/s or faster would work. the reason some dont is because they can't actually keep up for too long. i dont know why they say a certain speed then the dont keep it, i guess is a technical specification of class and U, but if you go with big names and proven models you cant be wrong.

Many thanks, I thought I had with Verbatim Class 10 UHS-1, but it transpires not ;-)
2017-2-1
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-1-31 20:50
Samsung 64GB EVO plus Micro SD SDHC/SDXC Card CLASS 10 UHS-1

I've been using this for a couple of months. All good.

Thank you very much
2017-2-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

WindSoul Posted at 2017-1-31 20:39

'however, fact is the camera never writes at bit rates above 60000kbs which is 8MB/s. as you see, any card 10MB/s or faster would work. the reason some dont is because they can't actually keep up for too long.'

Unless the camera is on a P4P, in which case it can be writing at 100 Megabits per second, and  a Class 10 card will not be fast enough.
2017-2-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules