A2 Parachute Support
3356 6 2015-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
simonchandler
New

United Kingdom

Hi,

I would like to fit a Skycat parachute system to my octo build - up unitl now my builds have used Pixhawk FC's.   I have the latest A2 FC arrive yesterday and have found the DJI manual to be a little ambiguous.

1) Can anyone explain the automatic deployment function and what parameters are monitored and what values need to be met for it to deploy?  (The manual only refers toauto deployment in terms of 'a decent rate greater than 10m/sec in Manual Mode').   Does this mean it will not function in other flight modes / IOC modes (Atti / GPS Atti / Groundstation / IOC variations)?

2) Can auto deployment be integrated with an aftermarket parachute?   For this to work I need an output port  that gives a high PWM output when the auto- deploy parameters are met (Dropsafe uses X3 and F4 from the FC but I don't know what they do).

Thanks,

Simon Chandler

2015-2-19
Use props
claus.kjerkegaa
lvl.1

Denmark

Listening in here...
2015-2-23
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.3

Hong Kong

1. Once the craft has a vertical descent speed exceed 10m/s, it will trigger the signal, no matter in Manual or other modes, don't worry about that.
2. I don't know the character of aftermarket product. You could refer to the product manual you want to purchase. In regard of PWM output voltage you want to input to parachute controller, you could test the F4 output with a oscilloscope or simply a multimeter.
2015-3-3
Use props
Skycat
lvl.1
Flight distance : 166939 ft
Finland

DJI-Dboy Posted at 2015-3-3 17:09
1. Once the craft has a vertical descent speed exceed 10m/s, it will trigger the signal, no matter i ...

2. Skycat Trigger would work if A2 sends standard PWM servo signal for parachute system when automatically requesting eject. So if servo turns on table tests, will parachute Trigger work also.
3. Does A2 support manual eject request? I mean when pilot decides to request eject using his transmitter used for controlling aircraft, would A2 have input for that.

It would be very helpful if flight controller does motor Cut Off in case of pilot requests eject. From lowest altitudes pilot has a change for immediate eject by using manual eject request before 10 m/s threshold is reached.

Henri
Skycat.pro
2015-3-5
Use props
blaze.jasper.io
New

Australia

Hi Guys

I have been mucking around for a few weeks now trying to put an aftermarket parachute onto my Octo-copter using the DJI A2. the parachute I am using is a spring loaded canister with a servo pulling a pin to release the parachute. what I have discovered is;

1. the A2 Parachute function will not work with any parachute other than the DJI dropsafe. I have tried pluging my parachute, triggers and switches into the X3 and F4 ports and do not receive any signals from theses ports. also in the A2 Assistance software it says no parachute detected and basically the system wont work.

2. my second method was cut the power to the A2 FC by placing a 10amp switch on the PMU which would hopefully cut the motors. this turned out to be more of a Drama then I anticipated because the FC will still receive power from the ESC's, IOSD and the Futaba Receiver. So to get around this you have to wire the IOSD onto the switch (same one as the FC) and then pull the Positive (red) pins on all the ESC signal wire and on the Futaba receiver wire and then power the Futaba receiver via a separate power source (i.e BEC). now this method actually works, however there is a reasonably large delay in-between when the switch is flicked and the ESC's decided to stop the motors. In testing I had the 10amp switch and the parachute plugged directly into my receiver (channel 5 and channel 6) and I used one switch on the Futaba 14SG to trigger both but with a time delay on the parachute so it would not eject when the motors are still running.. As I said it works but the time delay is large (about 5 seconds) and there is no telling what your copter will do in the air while it waits for the ESC's to cut off the motors and for the parachute to deploy.

Best Method: the 3rd thing I tried turned out to be the easiest.. Now the DJI A2 dose not have immediate motor cut-off, meaning when you put your throttle stick to the lowest point the engines will not stop, they will idle. to turn of the A2 motors you need to push both sticks down and across as most of you will know and this will instantly cut the motors. however this is a bit of a drama to do while flying and trigger the parachute at the same time. SO. using the Futaba 14SG (im sure the other controllers have a similar function) go to the "program Mix" function (PROG. MIX in the model menu) and via a ON/OFF switch you can program the throttle to go to +100, yaw to +100, elevator to +100 and aileron to -100 which is the essentially the same as turning motors off via the sticks however this will do it almost instantly via one ON/OFF switch. once this works all you need to do is plug the Parachute into a spare channel of your receiver and program it to the same switch as the Motors ON/OFF switch you have just created. if you need to put a 1 or 2 second time delay in the parachute just go to the Servo Speed Function (in the linkage menu) and increase the numbers on whichever channel you have the parachute plugged into and it will create a delay in the trigger.  

this method will work with any aftermarket parachute
2015-6-2
Use props
Skycat
lvl.1
Flight distance : 166939 ft
Finland

blaze.jasper.io Posted at 2015-6-3 15:32
Hi Guys

I have been mucking around for a few weeks now trying to put an aftermarket parachute onto  ...

Jasper, Thanks for sharing this!
In case you some day need new parachute recovery system, please contact me directly. UpTo 22 kg system is coming.

Henri
Skycat.pro
2015-7-16
Use props
ckk.post
lvl.4
Denmark

blaze.jasper.io Posted at 2015-6-3 09:32
Hi Guys

I have been mucking around for a few weeks now trying to put an aftermarket parachute onto  ...

Hi i have the same futaba like you
it's possible you could show a picture of your mix for the Trottel in program mix
would really be happy about it since I are at a standstill
Best
keller
2016-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules