Apology to all phantom 4 pilots
971 6 2017-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jambond54
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1273064 ft
United States

I want to apologize for my negative and sarcastic attitude on my previous post on tilted horizon. It was written out of frustration when you do everything the Phantom 4 pilots and DJI suggest to fix the tilted horizon and you still end up with the tilted horizon no matter what you do. I try to fly all most everyday weather permitted hoping that this time you made all the adjustments and the tilted horizon is now perfect, but there it is again the tilted horizon. I mean you do all the adjustments over and over, but the tilted horizon is still there. You can see how this can cause you to become very frustrated. I know that I'm not the only one that feels this way? On the calibration of the IMU which is very critical I have built myself a level platform that is adjustable to .0005 degrees on the horizontal and side to side. I used a percison level that is capable of .0005 degrees. I take the platform everywhere I go flying so if I have to calibrate the IMU. It doesn't matter  if the ground is not level. The platform is adjustable. Once I have the platform level I then put my drone on the platform and level the drone using plastic shims until I have the drone to .0005 degrees. I calibrate the IMU coid so I know my drones IMU is almost perfect. The accelerometer bias is 0.01 and the gyroscope bias is 0.01. I l know that you can manually adjust the tilt to level the horizon, but in few minutes it start to tilt again. I plan the drone very slow, but you still have the tilt issues.I also have distortion on on my videos. I use polarized ND filters and I have new props, but the distortion is still there. The way I fixed the distortion was to have small pieces of rubber behind the gimbal ribbon. Presto! No more distortion. It also helps the tilted horizon while your panning the drone. Let me know if this helps you. NOTE, BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE GIMBLE RIBBON IT IS EASY TO DAMAGE IT.

Sincerely,

John

2017-2-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha John,

By now, I am sure you are totally burned out on software fixes for the tilt, but it may actually be sequence that is the issue, not hardware.  Now, your solution has a bit of brilliance to it and on the other hand, it could be considered obvious.  But, if the obvious solution was real, a lot more P4s would have the problem.  Hmm.

What I have learned about tilt calibrations is that IMU and gimbal calibrations have sequential issues.  If I do an IMU calibration on my P3P and then do a gimbal calibration, the camera soon goes back to tilt.  But, if I do a gimbal calibration followed by the IMU calibration, the level is rock steady.  Hmm.

Oddly enough, it looks to me like, from what you are saying, there is an obstacle causing a leveling issue with your camera.  You did not mention an obstacle causing the problem, it is inferred.  The seat for the gimbal should be level with the legs of the P4.  Something appears to me to be disturbing the level.  You may want to inspect the gimbal base to see if there is a clean seat at each edge.  Is one side pushed out?  If so resolve the issue.

Mahalo for your effort in rectifying your attitude issues regarding this problem.  That is refreshing.  We all try to help.  As it is, you seemed to have solved your problem.  Please do investigate further as I have noted.  If you do find a fault, it may help others who would be expected to also get frustrated as you did.

Anyway, it is good to hear that you have gotten in the air with a level gimbal.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-4
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

John,

Understand your frustration, especially having a new machine that doesn't work the way it should, glad you got it sorted, I'm interested in just one thing, I can't seem to picture were the little rubber piece went, you say behind the gimbal ribbon? is this to hold the ribbon in spot, or holding the gimbal?.
2017-2-4
Use props
Jambond54
lvl.2
United States

Nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2017-2-4 03:42
John,

Understand your frustration, especially having a new machine that doesn't work the way it should, glad you got it sorted, I'm interested in just one thing, I can't seem to picture were the little rubber piece went, you say behind the gimbal ribbon? is this to hold the ribbon in spot, or holding the gimbal?.

Thanks for your response.  I put the piece of rubber behind the ribbon where it comes out of the gimbal arm. I the put pressure on the ribbon with my finger hold the rubber piece against the ribbon and tape it down with a piece of scotch tape. I think the distortion  come from vibration  transferring down the gimbal ribbon.  Let me know if it works for you?

Sincerely,

John
2017-2-4
Use props
Jambond54
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-4 03:18
Aloha John,

By now, I am sure you are totally burned out on software fixes for the tilt, but it may actually be sequence that is the issue, not hardware.  Now, your solution has a bit of brilliance to it and on the other hand, it could be considered obvious.  But, if the obvious solution was real, a lot more P4s would have the problem.  Hmm.

Thanks for your response.  I will give it a try.  I will fly this afternoon and I will let you know if it work for me.

Sincerely,

John
2017-2-4
Use props
Odan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182913 ft
United States

Drone rage,  it's a lot like road rage only the keyboard is the weapon used.  The forum should be a safe zone.
Everyone is welcome her and calm heads will always prevail. Apologies seem to be always accepted by everyone here at the forum. SO....
I'm cool with everything that happened on this thread. ( what happens on the thread, stay's on the thread )
Having only been here for my 3rd month and not ever having any problems with my P4,  I feel that I have prevented
many troubles by learning from post like your OP.
I know there are other forums out there but I really like this one. There are tons of threads here that link me to the very best advice from other great forums
so I just haven't had to join any other forum. ( Keeps the password thing to a min )
Anyhow....I'll keep reading nearly every thread and have a bunch of fun here at the DJI forum  
And thanks,  It takes a bigger man to do what you did. I can't wait to see how things work out  4U   
2017-2-4
Use props
Jambond54
lvl.2
United States

Nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2017-2-4 03:42
John,

Did you get the post on where to put the piece of rubber on the gimble  ribbon
2017-2-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules