Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello to all.

I am going to go to Hawaii next month (Kailua-Kona  which is on the big island) and I'm not sure if I want to take my Mavic  Pro or my P4P?  BUT the question is I'm not sure were to fly because  looking at my AirMap, Hover, and B4UFly apps and they are telling me  that there is "flight strictly regulated due to nearby airports.  I know  NOT to fly near major/minor airports (with in 5 mines) but noticed that  the entire cost line all the way around the island says the same  thing.  Is this because of the helicopter tourist attractions?  

I  know that I need to contact the airport operator and traffic control  tower and let then know what my plans are, but I thought that Hawaii was  a little more friendly for flying.

Can anyone help who has been over in Hawaii and flowen with out any issues?  Fly friendly places?  Beaches, etc?

Any help would be great and thank you in advance.
2017-2-6
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Pro,

It would be nice if it was as open to fly over here (Oahu) as it is over on the Big Island.  The Feds have blocked you out of the National Parks (volcano related) but most of the coast is available.  It is a Big Island and there is a lot of airspace for you to have fun in.  The best areas are outside of the FAA restrictions.  Almost the whole coast south of Kona is amazingly beautiful.  I expect to see great videos when you get back!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-7
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-7 02:10
Aloha Pro,

It would be nice if it was as open to fly over here (Oahu) as it is over on the Big Island.  The Feds have blocked you out of the National Parks (volcano related) but most of the coast is available.  It is a Big Island and there is a lot of airspace for you to have fun in.  The best areas are outside of the FAA restrictions.  Almost the whole coast south of Kona is amazingly beautiful.  I expect to see great videos when you get back!

Cetacean, I tried to PM you but it would not let me.  Thanks, I'm know that flying in ANY National Park is not permitted, we have a few here in Colorado and they can be a bit mean about it when you ask a ranger if its OK.  I guess too many people have tried it.
Any way, I'm not sure were we are going exactly but I know that we are staying on the coast in Kailua-Kona.
What about the City's? County's?, etc.  Any word on what they say?  Its funny, here in Colorado, anyplace in Denver is a NO-NO but any of the surrounding City's it's allowed.  It can all be confusing.  Just not looking to make anyone mad.
2017-2-7
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-2-7 06:39
Cetacean, I tried to PM you but it would not let me.  Thanks, I'm know that flying in ANY National Park is not permitted, we have a few here in Colorado and they can be a bit mean about it when you ask a ranger if its OK.  I guess too many people have tried it.
Any way, I'm not sure were we are going exactly but I know that we are staying on the coast in Kailua-Kona.
What about the City's? County's?, etc.  Any word on what they say?  Its funny, here in Colorado, anyplace in Denver is a NO-NO but any of the surrounding City's it's allowed.  It can all be confusing.  Just not looking to make anyone mad.

Aloha Pro,

The Big Island is one big county (biggest in the State).  There are no real cities to speak of on the Big Island (more like towns) although there are tourist destinations.  Kailua-Kona (Kona) is a dry and sunny area, but within 5 miles of the airport.  Use your B4UFly app as you head south from Kona and as soon as you leave the airport 5 mile boundary, launch and fly south along the coast.  Then look and you will see that there are dozens of miles you can fly like this all the way to South Point.  And it is all gorgeous.  

The Kona area is the Leeward Coast.  In Hawai'ian, Kona actually means Leeward side.  Honolulu used to be called Kona until the Haoles and the Kamehamehas took over.  Honolulu means "the Gathering Place".  All the islands had a kona side.

You can actually travel around the south part of the island and up the Windward side with the volcano uphill to the left and have helicopters be the only flight restriction.  When the road turns seriously West, the Hilo airport will start to create an influence in B4UFly.  So, you have a humongous area to fly over there.  The military has the training area between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea on the West side so do not even think of flying in that area.  Between South Point and Hilo, Kilauea Volcano has lava flows that are reaching the ocean these days.  But, the Feds have influence in that area and B4UFly can help you determine where to fly.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-7
Use props
fans03ded3db
lvl.1
United States

One of the most unique and exclusive opportunities that provides dramatic views at high ground and ocean level all within the same area. This will be a rigorous hike that is rather flat, can be warm and dry, but it comes with stunning rewards. My regrets that I didn't have a bird with me when I visited. This should not be missed. Here are a few others also listed.  http://www.bigislandhikes.com/papakolea-green-sand-beach/
2017-2-8
Use props
Indio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 303373 ft
  • >>>
Austria

have a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4wRmHlxpJVX24O379l-SnB9Ot00r0DUc
2017-2-8
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-7 22:46
Aloha Pro,

The Big Island is one big county (biggest in the State).  There are no real cities to speak of on the Big Island (more like towns) although there are tourist destinations.  Kailua-Kona (Kona) is a dry and sunny area, but within 5 miles of the airport.  Use your B4UFly app as you head south from Kona and as soon as you leave the airport 5 mile boundary, launch and fly south along the coast.  Then look and you will see that there are dozens of miles you can fly like this all the way to South Point.  And it is all gorgeous.  

WOW!!  So much info, you must be a native...or a history buff.  Cetacean, thank you so much for this info and yes, I will be posting a few videos/pics of my first trim to Hawaii.  the green sand beach???  I may go see that just because the sand it green.  HA, my wife and I are used to climbing 14,000' mountains so the hikes should be a breeze.  Thanks again.
2017-2-9
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fans03ded3db Posted at 2017-2-8 04:12
One of the most unique and exclusive opportunities that provides dramatic views at high ground and ocean level all within the same area. This will be a rigorous hike that is rather flat, can be warm and dry, but it comes with stunning rewards. My regrets that I didn't have a bird with me when I visited. This should not be missed. Here are a few others also listed.  http://www.bigislandhikes.com/papakolea-green-sand-beach/

Fans03ded3bd,  Thanks.  That will come in handy when we go.  My wife and I are used to climbing 14ers (14,000') mountains here in Colorado so the hikes should not be a problem...and at sea level!!

Thanks for that link, I am getting super excited to go now.
2017-2-9
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Indio,  Thank you.  I think I watched one of them once before.  Are these your video's?
Thanks for the info and I'll take a look at the others.
2017-2-9
Use props
RSW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

The National and State parks are off limits but most county parks are not. There a plenty of places to fly on the Big Island. i spent the first week of this year doing exactly that.

Be cool, low key, and respectful so these spaces will continue to be available for us to fly.
2017-2-9
Use props
Indio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 303373 ft
  • >>>
Austria

ProQuad Posted at 2017-2-9 08:32
Indio,  Thank you.  I thin kI watched one of them once before.  Are these your video's?
Thanks for the info and I'll take a look at the others.

no, its a nice guy and make great videos
2017-2-9
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-2-9 08:29
WOW!!  So much info, you must be a native...or a history buff.  Cetacean, thank you so much for this info and yes, I will be posting a few videos/pics of my first trim to Hawaii.  the green sand beach???  I may go see that just because the sand it green.  HA, my wife and I are used to climbing 14,000' mountains so the hikes should be a breeze.  Thanks again.

Aloha Pro,

RSW is giving good advice - ditto.  There are black sand beaches on the Big Island to.  I think by Kalapana, the town that got over-run by lava (South East quadrant).  Maybe RSW can fill you in better on that.  Have fun!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-2-9
Use props
24ctDrone
lvl.2

United States

Hey ProQuad,
2017-2-9
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RSW Posted at 2017-2-9 13:05
The National and State parks are off limits but most county parks are not. There a plenty of places to fly on the Big Island. i spent the first week of this year doing exactly that.

Be cool, low key, and respectful so these spaces will continue to be available for us to fly.

Yes, the National & State parks are off limits for most of the US if I am not mistaken and thank you for that reminder and yes, I plan on laying low.  Don' want to mess it up for eveyone
2017-2-10
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-9 14:50
Aloha Pro,

RSW is giving good advice - ditto.  There are black sand beaches on the Big Island to.  I think by Kalapana, the town that got over-run by lava (South East quadrant).  Maybe RSW can fill you in better on that.  Have fun!

Yes, thank you again.
2017-2-10
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hello 24ctDrone....do we know each other?
2017-2-10
Use props
RSW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-2-10 04:58
Yes, the National & State parks are off limits for most of the US if I am not mistaken and thank you for that reminder and yes, I plan on laying low.  Don' want to mess it up for eveyone

Here in California we can fly in State Parks.
2017-2-10
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RSW Posted at 2017-2-10 16:54
Here in California we can fly in State Parks.

RSW,  Just checked here for Colorado and we can fly in some state parks, just depends on which one.
2017-2-11
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-2-7 22:46
Aloha Pro,

Aloha Cetacean,

I'm confused and need your insight.  I am here on the big island and I pulled up the FAA B4UFly, Hover, and Airmap apps and they all say someting a little different.  I know to stay away from the airports and national forest, but on one of the apps there is a section in the middle that says it is special use airspace...is the communaction towers?  And yet in another app the entire island says "flight strickly regulated:  Park".  

Am I allowed to fly in a "Forest Reserve" or stay away from those sections?

Does this mean I can not fly on any of the beaches or next to the ocean?

Any help from you or the community would be awesome.

Hover

Hover

AirMap

AirMap

FAA B4UFly app

FAA B4UFly app
2017-3-2
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-3-2 08:18
Aloha Cetacean,

I'm confused and need your insight.  I am here on the big island and I pulled up the FAA B4UFly, Hover, and Airmap apps and they all say someting a little different.  I know to stay away from the airports and national forest, but on one of the apps there is a section in the middle that says it is special use airspace...is the communaction towers?  And yet in another app the entire island says "flight strickly regulated:  Park".  

Aloha Pro,

STAY AWAY FROM THERE!!!  That is the Pohakuloa Training Area.  Every piece of American weaponry is used there!  F/A-18s come over from the Mainland to train there.  They leave from over here in Kaneohe.  Marine and Navy F-35s and F-22 from Hickam-Pearl Harbor Joint Base Hawaii to.

Avoid at all cost.  There is no return.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-2
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-3-2 15:55
Aloha Pro,

STAY AWAY FROM THERE!!!  That is the Pohakuloa Training Area.  Every piece of American weaponry is used there!  F/A-18s come over from the Mainland to train there.  They leave from over here in Kaneohe.  Marine and Navy F-35s and F-22 from Hickam-Pearl Harbor Joint Base Hawaii to.

Ummm...Mahaol (sp?).  Thanks, I was NOT going to fly there I just didn't know what it was.

As far as the other area's, (which is were I wanted to fly anyway) is were my main concerns were.  

Any info on that part would be useful.

AND by the way...Never been here before and I'm loving it.  Got as red as a lobster my first day, but other then that, looking to go hiking, swimming, snorkeling, etc. (and fly of course) whilst I am here.

You have a very beautiful state.
2017-3-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-3-3 14:17
Ummm...Mahaol (sp?).  Thanks, I was NOT going to fly there I just didn't know what it was.

As far as the other area's, (which is were I wanted to fly anyway) is were my main concerns were.  

Aloha Pro,

It gets kind of tricky, but if you have a rental car, you can go to the best spots.  The Windward side of the island (East) is the greenest and has jungle.  Oh, wait, stay on trails and roads.  People always disappear over there when they go off trail or road and fall into a lava tube.  We even have lava tubes over here but they are way old and used mostly by the military.  I have heard stories that make my skin crawl, mostly how they find the bodies 20-30 feet down after 5-10 years.  Keep it safe!

The Kona side where Kailua Kona is located has the most consistent sun.  Any road south of Kailua Kona will yield rich photos and video.  Many bays and wildlife there including cetaceans.  Whales are off the coast.  Keep your eyes pealed for blows.

Traveling to the East side (Hilo Side) and down the lower half of the island will yield jungle and volcano imagery.  If the weather cooperates and the sun is out over Hilo, North of Hilo, and on the coast, are some beautiful valleys, great for photos and video (Hamakua Side).  South toward Kalapana, is where the volcano lava meets the sea.  There may be restrictions but if you fly over the sea, you may be able to skirt the restrictions.

Let me know if there are more specific questions.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-3
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-3-3 16:01
Aloha Pro,

It gets kind of tricky, but if you have a rental car, you can go to the best spots.  The Windward side of the island (East) is the greenest and has jungle.  Oh, wait, stay on trails and roads.  People always disappear over there when they go off trail or road and fall into a lava tube.  We even have lava tubes over here but they are way old and used mostly by the military.  I have heard stories that make my skin crawl, mostly how they find the bodies 20-30 feet down after 5-10 years.  Keep it safe!

Cetacean,

Now I know what your screen name means and that's cool...had to Google it.
I would like to meet you because you sound like a wonderful person to talk to with a vast knowledge basis!  Thanks again.
2017-3-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Pro,

You still got to stay out of Pohakuloa!  Mahalo!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-4
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fans03ded3db Posted at 2017-2-8 04:12

fans03ded3bd,

I looked into the bigislandhikes.com and did go to the Green Sand Beach...It was so awesome!!
IMG_0101.jpg
2017-3-12
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-3-4 00:56
Aloha Pro,

You still got to stay out of Pohakuloa!  Mahalo!

Cetacean,

Aloha and WOW!!!  !st time in Hawaii (big island & Honolulu, Pearl Harbor) and I had a MAJOR mis-preconception of the state.  I thought all the islands were Jungle, forest, "paradise", and boy was I wrong!  Big open grass fields for cattle, goats, wild chickens running everywhere, lol.  I loved it and look forward to coming back sometime soon.  

ZERO issues with flying...and I did STAY AWAY from Pohakuloa, well at least my Mavic did.  I did go through it to get up to Mauna Kea, that was awesome as well.  I felt like home (Colorado) being up that high.  

I had more curious people asking me about the quad then I could fly it...lol go figure.  I will be working on the video soon, I just have so much footage to go through...lol

Thanks again for all the info.
Mahalo

Mauna Kea

Mauna Kea

Kailua-Kona

Kailua-Kona

South Point Cliff Dive

South Point Cliff Dive

South Point Cliff Dive Wind Turbines

South Point Cliff Dive Wind Turbines

Pololu Valley/Trail Head

Pololu Valley/Trail Head
2017-3-12
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-3-12 12:55
Cetacean,

Aloha and WOW!!!  !st time in Hawaii (big island & Honolulu, Pearl Harbor) and I had a MAJOR mis-preconception of the state.  I thought all the islands were Jungle, forest, "paradise", and boy was I wrong!  Big open grass fields for cattle, goats, wild chickens running everywhere, lol.  I loved it and look forward to coming back sometime soon.  

Aloha Pro,

Sorry you had a misconception of Hawai'i.  We are quite urban but we also do like our country living when we can.  Right now on Oahu, we are fighting to Keep the Country, Country!

As for the Big Island, you now appear to be more experienced than I am.  I have limited experience over there and you certainly have better photos!  But, I do get around.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

ProQuad Posted at 2017-3-12 12:38
fans03ded3bd,

I looked into the bigislandhikes.com and did go to the Green Sand Beach...It was so awesome!!

What an incredible looking location. Just beautiful.

There are enough of you folks on the Hawiian Islands to start your own RC flying club. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-3-13
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-3-12 23:42
Aloha Pro,

Sorry you had a misconception of Hawai'i.  We are quite urban but we also do like our country living when we can.  Right now on Oahu, we are fighting to Keep the Country, Country!

Well, I hope Oahu's people can come through with keeping the country...county.
Again, thanks for all your help and thanks for the commits!!  
2017-3-13
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-13 01:38
What an incredible looking location. Just beautiful.

There are enough of you folks on the Hawiian Islands to start your own RC flying club. ;-)

Yep, agreed.  AND all you need is one to start your own RC club...others will follow.  LOL
2017-3-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

ProQuad Posted at 2017-3-13 12:26
Yep, agreed.  AND all you need is one to start your own RC club...others will follow.  LOL

Yes, that was how Roger began our awesome www.ercha.ca club. One guy with a dream and goal.

I was surprised to see the pic of the mountain top observatories. I have already suggested for Cetacean to go up there and capture some awesome video. ;-)

You must have had a wonderful time, as your pics certainly captured the beauty of it...

Good stuff.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-13
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-13 15:11
Yes, that was how Roger began our awesome www.ercha.ca club. One guy with a dream and goal.

I was surprised to see the pic of the mountain top observatories. I have already suggested for Cetacean to go up there and capture some awesome video. ;-)

RedHot,

Thanks.  Nice web site/club!  

FOR THE RECORD.  Those pics of the observatories were from my Cannon DSLR camera...didn't want to risk taking a quad up there.  Heavy military base is close by that location.
2017-3-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

ProQuad Posted at 2017-3-13 17:45
RedHot,

Thanks.  Nice web site/club!  

Ah no, really? That sort of burst my bubble of hopes that friend @Cetacean going up there & capturing some awesome drone video footage.

Oh well, lucky you, for visiting that area of the wonderful Hawiian Islands. It's definitely on my bucket list.

Military? I had no idea what all else was atop that awesome elevated perch...
Guess my Nikon D800 with its 80-400mm will have to do. ;-)

Thank you, for the helpful info. That may keep me out of some unnecessary troubled time.
Perhaps also keeping me from losing my drone, if doing something that is forbidden and frowned upon.

Your pics are honestly a real delight for me to see. So I truly thank you for sharing them with me.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-13
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-3-13 12:26
Well, I hope Oahu's people can come through with keeping the country...county.
Again, thanks for all your help and thanks for the commits!!

Aloha Pro,

BTW, did you go through any VOG (Volcanic Fog) while you were on the Big Island?  It is extremely thick over here on Oahu 200 miles away!  It comes from two volcanic sites on the Big Island.  I hope to fly and get a shot or two for you tomorrow.  Today was extremely thick, but I was way too busy.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-3-13 21:27
Aloha Pro,

BTW, did you go through any VOG (Volcanic Fog) while you were on the Big Island?  It is extremely thick over here on Oahu 200 miles away!  It comes from two volcanic sites on the Big Island.  I hope to fly and get a shot or two for you tomorrow.  Today was extremely thick, but I was way too busy.

Hi Ken, looking forward to seeing more of your awesome pics or videos. ;-)

You bring it...

RedHotPoker
2017-3-13
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-13 21:46
Hi Ken, looking forward to seeing more of your awesome pics or videos. ;-)

You bring it...

Aloha RedHot,

Tomorrow, you will cry when you see how much VOG we have right now.  And not good for the lungs either!  But, at least it should be good flying weather though.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-3-13 23:29
Aloha RedHot,

Tomorrow, you will cry when you see how much VOG we have right now.  And not good for the lungs either!  But, at least it should be good flying weather though.

Ken, I am from Edmonton Alberta , and not up on the Hawiian Island lingo.
But eh, I have the Internet.. Ha

http://www.konaweb.com/vog/

Have fun, perhaps wear a bandana over your breathing tube. ;-)

Looking forward to seeing some of your pics and video...

Ah, it's going to be really warm here, later today. Supposed to go up to +5*C

Can you believe it. Just like spring, & a week early... Ha
I will have to fire up the SpYder RS-S and go for a dirty splash.

Fly safe...

RedHotPoker
2017-3-13
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-3-13 21:27
Aloha Pro,

Cetacean,  Yep, VOG!  New term for me to @RedHot.  We had days of full sun, cloudy, VOG, windy, snowed at the top the day after we got there, rain...I think we got it all!  

I too look fwd to your pics/vids.

Fly safe
2017-3-14
Use props
fans03ded3db
lvl.1
United States

ProQuad,

Glad you made it to Green sands! Well worth the effort since the vantage points are numerous and one can easily spend the day there. What? no follow you video as you did the cliff dive?

Best!
2017-3-14
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-13 17:56
Ah no, really? That sort of burst my bubble of hopes that friend @Cetacean going up there & capturing some awesome drone video footage.

Oh well, lucky you, for visiting that area of the wonderful Hawiian Islands. It's definitely on my bucket list.

Correct.  The B4UFly app told me about a "restricted special use airspace".  I asked Cetacean and was told this is were the military come and do some heavy training.  It's a big base camp there if you go, can't get "in" the base but the road does go through there section they have restricted.  

Also, with all of that extremely high end viewing equipment up at the top, I didn't want to risk it AND the Rangers were all over the place.  My father-in-law asked about flying for me and the told him absolutely no.  YIKES, guess one person screwed that up for us all, ugh!

When you go, you will have fun and you will see almost every kind of landscaping on the big island.  It was a total shocker for me.
2017-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules