How to keep camera fixed on subject while flying up
1912 5 2017-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tyger
lvl.1
Flight distance : 945554 ft
United States

I'd like to create a shot with a group of people on the ground. The drone starts about head level and then rises to about 50 feet while keeping the camera focused on the group. I've looked through the app and the manual and I don't see a way to do this. Has anyone figured this out? I have the Litchi app, which has a feature exactly for this, but it seems to have a lot of issues.
2017-2-7
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Just practice on an object. It's not hard to do it manually.
It may help to lower the speed settings on the camera wheel.
2017-2-7
Use props
Augustus Brian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 397592 ft
United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-2-7 06:59
Just practice on an object. It's not hard to do it manually.
It may help to lower the speed settings on the camera wheel.

KM5RG-Robert:

It is a non-linear technique, like easing the pressure on the brake pedal of an automobile, as the vehicle slows to a stop.

So, assuming constant ascending velocity, the OP would have to assert the tilt wheel, then back off logarithmically.

Finding and lowering the tilt wheel speed calibration to this first assertion point would allow the OP to full-wheel it, then back off to half, then to quarter, etc., as the AC ascends.

Horizontal distance from the subject also factors into the tilt-wheel calibration--the closer in, the higher the initial assertion speed. Once you find a comfortable initial assertion calibration speed, then like you said, practice, practice, practice...

I've found descending smoothly to eye/waist level on a subject to be particularly difficult, because the accelerating tilt up always bangs to a full stop at level (as I'm simultaneously trying to slow/stop the descent with left joy stick. My left hand has nightmares about this. So much so that I've tried [and had some success with] a rather risky technique: reaching under the RC to control the tilt wheel with my right hand, an admittedly dangerous ploy since the right joy is now unattended.)

I believe Active-Tracking does this tilt stuff automatically, but A-T requires and/or restricts the initial elevation to 32 feet. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-2-7
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

As you gain altitude you will also have to increase the distance between subject and the P3 otherwise the shot will not have the perspective I believe you are after.
(mode 2) Left thumb with pressure on stick making drone rise, left index finger rotating gimbal wheel. Right thumb applying pressure on the stick making the drone move backwards from the subject. Most of the effort of holding the transmitter will have to be with the right hand, a neck strap may help.
2017-2-7
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

"Autopilot" available in the app store will help you.
2017-2-7
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Augustus Brian Posted at 2017-2-7 09:25
KM5RG-Robert:

It is a non-linear technique, like easing the pressure on the brake pedal of an automobile, as the vehicle slows to a stop.

Like I said, it's not hard. Just takes practice.   
Also as far as banging against the stop, you really should enable the extra 30 degrees of movement of the gimbal.
It helps to slow the gimbal speed as well.
2017-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules