Flying over water
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansf1a187a8
lvl.1
United States

I am relatively new to drone flying. We are going to the Florida keys and I think it would be really cool to fly my (std.) out over the ocean. What scares me is what if there is a problem and I loose control? Does this happen a lot?  If so......why?  I made a "make shift " flotation " device for it but it definetly has some control issues. Bottom line is I am afraid to fly my drone over the ocean. Am I being paranoid?

2017-2-7
Use props
fans454f0d4f
New

United States

Very paranoid.  I fly over the water all the time.   But usually over 30ft high though.   
2017-2-7
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

Floaties are not likely to protect your bird against salt water and spray. I live in Miami and most of the flights I make are over water. I feel that flying over water is the safest place that I fly. No crowds of people that can become endangered. No high-rise buildings to block my gps signals.

Be advised that there are medium sized airports in Marathon and Key West. There is also a hospital with a heliport in Marathon. There is a Naval Air Station on Boca Chica Key, near Key West, flying fighter jets.

Enjoy your trip.
2017-2-7
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

Yes, I got used to it as a 15 year old. Flying over water is safer because you lose $499 and you can use StateFarm insurance, or something like that for $70 a year. 500 meters with full signal, and no poor signal.
2017-2-7
Use props
SkyerUAS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1754019 ft
United States

A if you decide to fly on the beach, make sure there are no aircraft flying nearby, wait for calmed winds, and clean any sand after you're done (specially off the motors and camera/gimbal).

Be safe and have fun! Here's a couple of videos I filmed on a trip to Ponte Vedra Beach, FL:

SKYER
“Fly your drone as though you were flying in it yourself…”
See aerial short films at my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC304REG4t2_OWJmQDHLvQ2w

2017-2-7
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

i fly over water all the time I seen that get better range flying over lakes that I do land
2017-2-8
Use props
leonardo.sb
lvl.1

Portugal

Steve-76 Posted at 2017-2-8 06:49
i fly over water all the time I seen that get better range flying over lakes that I do land

maybe the water helps to reflect the signal and give a little "boost"
2017-2-8
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

SkyerUAS Posted at 2017-2-7 19:07
A if you decide to fly on the beach, make sure there are no aircraft flying nearby, wait for calmed winds, and clean any sand after you're done (specially off the motors and camera/gimbal).

Be safe and have fun! Here's a couple of videos I filmed on a trip to Ponte Vedra Beach, FL:

Nice videos.
2017-2-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"What scares me is what if there is a problem and I loose control? Does this happen a lot?  If so......why?  I made a "make shift " flotation " device for it but it definetly has some control issues. "

When you are flying over solid ground .. what if there is a problem and you lose control?
With more experience you should become more comfortable flying and will understand that those questions aren't relevant.

As for flotation contraptions, unless you need to land and take off from water (and who does really?) these are more likely to contribute to losing your Phantom than make your flight safer.
Over water you don't want to habdicap your Phantom with something that catches the wind eating your battery life and speed as well as getting in the way of your camera.
2017-2-8
Use props
SkyerUAS
Second Officer
United States

Thanks!
SKYER
See aerial short films at my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC304REG4t2_OWJmQDHLvQ2w
2017-2-8
Use props
SkyerUAS
Second Officer
United States

RE: Flying over water

Labroides Posted at 2017-2-8 17:19
"What scares me is what if there is a problem and I loose control? Does this happen a lot?  If so......why?  I made a "make shift " flotation " device for it but it definetly has some control issues. "

When you are flying over solid ground .. what if there is a problem and you lose control?

"... these are more likely to contribute to losing your Phantom than make your flight safer. Over water you don't want to habdicap your Phantom with something that catches the wind..."

I second that.

SKYER
2017-2-8
Use props
fansf1a187a8
lvl.1
United States

All great advice! Thanks for all the replies.
2017-2-9
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
United States

Yes, really made me feel better about flying over water.
2017-2-9
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Remember that VPS can give problems over water under some conditions. Turn off and stay sufficiently high (20ft is good) if you want peace of mind.
2017-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules