Damaged Radio 2.4 Board while installing range extender
630 7 2017-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Soutie
New

Australia

I am in embarrased to admit that I managed to break one of the little pins off that the 2.4GHZ antena cables connect to. It broke off flush with the board and I have not ben able to resolder it. I fear I need a new baord. I am based in Australia so sending it to the states for repair would be a massive ball ache. Any ideas? Please help. Less than a month old.

2017-2-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

What aircraft do you have?
2017-2-8
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think you also void your warranty by doing that.
2017-2-8
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

May just look around on Ebay or the like for another RC.
2017-2-8
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

You would be better off sourcing a local instrument repair facility close to home, if you still have the connector then it will be a 1/2 hour job for them to resolder it.
2017-2-8
Use props
Steve-76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175495 ft
United States

yes.  the booster  voids warranty. if its a standard  just buy new rc there like 99 bucks
2017-2-8
Use props
Soutie
New

Australia

P3 std
I assume the board is not available?
New radio is about $169
2017-2-8
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Can you see the pin sticking up out of the board?  From your description, you broke both the ufl part and the pin.  Without the pin, I'm not sure if it's fixable.  

If the pin is still in place, you could have it resoldered or even hot glued, but the question will be has the efficiency of the RF signal been compromised?  So you'd have to test it afterwards to be sure, of course.  But since you've only had it a month and you haven't done a mod, you won't know for sure whether it's working perfect or not, even if your range is increased.  You'll have this nagging doubt.  So it's probably best to replace the board or replace the controller.  You may be able to find a used controller on eBay from some poor soul who has crashed his drone.  

Next time, use the correct tools and take your time.  Cut the antenna cable near the head of the ufl part.  I use an exacto knife and a magnifying glass to cut that white stuff out.  When it's time to remove the ufl part, rotate it in a circle first, then grab it head on with a needle nose and pull it straight up and out.  It will come right out perfectly every time.  
2017-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules