Can't shut off when running
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mark847
lvl.2
Flight distance : 745374 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had an incident today where shortly after takeoff my drone was acting eradicallly and wouldn't maintain position. I just wanted to get it on the ground. I put it down, yet it was still trying to go forward, it eventually flipped, with the motors still running against the ground. I ran and picked it up and went to shut down the battery, and it WOULD NOT SHUT DOWN.  I literally had to remove the battery for it to stop.  This seems like a horrible oversight.  Does anyone have any good explanation of why DJI would prevent a user from turning off their drone while the props are running?

2017-2-9
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

As not for the future, please provide your AC MODEL. P series, you need to hold dow the left straight down for at least 3 to 4 seconds for the motor to shut down.

Also you can always use the PAUSE button to make the AC HOVER IN PLACE so you can be able to grab it and then hold the left key down, all the way down until it stop.
2017-2-9
Use props
Mark847
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I am using the Phantom 3 Professional. I wasn't aware of a "Pause" button.  Is that something new with P4?

Thanks
2017-2-9
Use props
Mark847
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

My phantom is on the way to DJI right now for repair.  The other day I was low on battery and got it down on the ground - AS I WAS HOLDING DOWN THE LEFT STICK to stop, it took off again on it's own to "return to home".   Seems like another pretty illogical feature. If the pilot is in the process of putting the drone on the ground... don't take off again and try to "return to home".

2017-2-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mark847 Posted at 2017-2-9 21:26
My phantom is on the way to DJI right now for repair.  The other day I was low on battery and got it down on the ground - AS I WAS HOLDING DOWN THE LEFT STICK to stop, it took off again on it's own to "return to home".   Seems like another pretty illogical feature. If the pilot is in the process of putting the drone on the ground... don't take off again and try to "return to home".

Curious, there is another report on here of a similar incident: http://forum.dji.com/thread-84371-1-1.html
2017-2-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

dronist Posted at 2017-2-9 20:24
As not for the future, please provide your AC MODEL. P series, you need to hold dow the left straight down for at least 3 to 4 seconds for the motor to shut down.

Also you can always use the PAUSE button to make the AC HOVER IN PLACE so you can be able to grab it and then hold the left key down, all the way down until it stop.

Could you please post a link to the flight LOG files for others here to have a look?

Visit http://www.healthydrones.com and http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ for instructions. Thanks

RedHotPoker
2017-2-9
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

There is a CSC command to turn off the motor for cases just like this. It's the down-in or down-out joystick position on the RC.
2017-2-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-9 21:37
There is a CSC command to turn off the motor for cases just like this. It's the down-in or down-out joystick position on the RC.

CSC frequently doesn't work, when the drone is inverted.

I have experienced that dilemma personally, myself.

RedHotPoker

2017-2-9
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 612825 ft
Croatia

Whenever my drone hits something or flips it doesn't want to stop the motors (CSC)
I just hear that loud screeching noise
P3P
2017-2-9
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Mark847 Posted at 2017-2-9 21:26

Sounds like you might have been trying to turn it off while it was upside down.  The aircraft doesn't know when it is on the ground, but it will cut off the motors if there is no change in altitude for about 3 seconds while pulling the left stick down fully, assuming it is right-side up.  If it is upside down, it will ignore any command inputs (including CSC) and automatically try to do just one thing -- get back upright.  It does this by fully spinning the two front motors and idling the rear motors.  Once it is upright, it will once again listen to controller commands.  I've never tried to power down a battery while the aircraft is inverted, but I'd imagine it would feel like an eternity after it had flipped on the ground.  Theoretically pushing the button once to wake it, followed by a long press to turn it off should work every time, even though the aircraft is in "self-preservation mode".  Pulling the battery is probably faster.  Turning the aircraft right way up would have returned control to normal and you could then shut it down normally, or even performed an emergency CSC shutdown.
2017-2-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI, might want to update the firmware, allowing CSC when the drone is in any position.

That would be helpful when it flips and you are any distance away, preventing the two button press, pulling the flight back out, or when left stick back, isn't an option.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-10
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-10 01:17
DJI, might want to update the firmware, allowing CSC when the drone is in any position.

That would be helpful when it flips and you are any distance away, preventing the two button press, pulling the flight back out, or when left stick back, isn't an option.

I second that... it happened to me a year ago with wind gust close to landing and I got spooked trying to landed it and stopping the rotor and it got between the garage door and my car hitting both, like in a pinball machine, than flipped upside down and mowing the driveway and the grass and than it stopped after breaking all 4 props.

Like the OP I was concentrating on stopping the rotor. After changing all four damaged props and thinking about it I realized I should have used the PAUSE button when it went between the garage door and the car instead of trying to land and or shut down the motor.

Since then my first reaction always to PAUSE the AC and then grab it.
2017-2-10
Use props
Mark847
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Here's the log
http://healthydrones.com/main?share=jfzzJP

Good to know on the  CSC. ( left stick down and right and RTH button on the RC at the same time.)
When I get my drone back I am definitely going to test out how to make my drone stop ASAP! Hopefully the repair cost isn't crazy.
Also, as far as the drone being upright for the power off to work.. when this was happening to me and you have rotors blazing looking to cut you up.. you want those rotors facing as FAR away from you as possible.  So my instict was to keep them faced away from me (ie down, or sideways).  Making the operator hold it up with the props spinning right in your face is much more dangerous in my opinion.

2017-2-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Don't you have a Phantom 3? As that's where you posted the thread when you put it up there?
I  believe that left stick and RTH button sequence is used on the newer Phantom 4 models only.
CSC is still used on the Phantom 3 drones. Correct me if I'm wrong, with your specific model.

So don't be passified, incorrectly. Be sure of what you are planning, before going ahead, only to be let down, hard.
Not sure at this point. Only you know for certain.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-10
Use props
Mark847
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Yes I guess CSC is what I'll use for phantom 3. either way I'll be testing when I get it back.
2017-2-10
Use props
Alister FiEND
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

i've had mine flop over numerous times on hard or windy landings and never had a problem shutting motors down.  i cant tell you what i did cause i just did the normal shutdown or csc and it shut down, i never payed attention to details since it was a normal thing i guess... anyway , pull the props, flip it and try it ... i dont recall the motors spinning up to try and correct itself either.  p3p
2017-2-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mark847 Posted at 2017-2-10 13:30
Yes I guess CSC is what I'll use for phantom 3. either way I'll be testing when I get it back.

That would be a good idea. Anyway, let's hope that we never need that, to shut down, unless an actual real emergency is happening.
Just pull left stick back and your drone will shut down.

Perhaps utilize this website as well?
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/

RedHotPoker

2017-2-10
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

You also have to hold the drone  completely still while holding the left stick all way down. Any movement while trying to stop the motors will cause it to keep running since it will think its still in the air.
2017-2-11
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I believe I also read that DJI increased the time required for CSC to take effect to 5 full seconds (forever when it is needed).
2017-2-11
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

Alister FiEND Posted at 2017-2-10 20:33
i've had mine flop over numerous times on hard or windy landings and never had a problem shutting motors down.  i cant tell you what i did cause i just did the normal shutdown or csc and it shut down, i never payed attention to details since it was a normal thing i guess... anyway , pull the props, flip it and try it ... i dont recall the motors spinning up to try and correct itself either.  p3p

There is a big difference between tipping over and being completely upside down.  A tip could be due to rough terrain or wind.  You are likely to damage the tips of the prop in this scenario.  Inverted flight won't happen unless you crash into something or have a birdstrike.  On the ground it will spin on the prop hubs and possibly "drill" into the ground.

Tipping over is possible on landing in the wind or on uneven ground, even though you are doing everything right.  If you shut down using CSC you are almost guaranteed to tip over, because it is actually commanding the aircraft to commence a tilted flight maneuver before it shuts down.  The instructions no longer tell you to shut down this way as it is a known problem.  Left stick down is the recommended procedure to shut down.

Under the latest firmware (1.10) CSC has been increased to 3 seconds.  Personally I feel this is too long if you need to shut down in an emergency.
2017-2-11
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-9 21:40
CSC frequently doesn't work, when the drone is inverted.

I have experienced that dilemma personally, myself.

Flying inverted!!!! WOW you ARE good! Is that how you made Captain Status? HA
2017-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-2-13 02:59
Flying inverted!!!! WOW you ARE good! Is that how you made Captain Status? HA

That's a good one. Hahaha

Ah, no, but if the Phantom had 3D flight capabilities we would all be striving for that opportunity.
No you must actually crash into a wall or other obstacle first, and the E=MC momentum propels the drone into theatrical mobility.  Hahaha

Quite often followed by a boom sound, and crunching rotor blades. Then you hear a loud gasp or scream from the depressed Pilot. ;-)

That was worthy of an LOL too.
Thanks for the cheer, this early in the morning.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-13
Use props
SimonH78
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RTFM springs to mind here !!
2017-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

SimonH78 Posted at 2017-2-13 04:42
RTFM springs to mind here !!

Yes, & preferably one in your own language too. Haha

Unless you only want to look at the pretty pictures. Then it doesn't matter so much... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

endotherm Posted at 2017-2-11 15:38
There is a big difference between tipping over and being completely upside down.  A tip could be due to rough terrain or wind.  You are likely to damage the tips of the prop in this scenario.  Inverted flight won't happen unless you crash into something or have a birdstrike.  On the ground it will spin on the prop hubs and possibly "drill" into the ground.

Tipping over is possible on landing in the wind or on uneven ground, even though you are doing everything right.  If you shut down using CSC you are almost guaranteed to tip over, because it is actually commanding the aircraft to commence a tilted flight maneuver before it shuts down.  The instructions no longer tell you to shut down this way as it is a known problem.  Left stick down is the recommended procedure to shut down.

That 3 second delay, gives the pilot time to consider crapping his pants now or wait until later... Hahaha

I hate them, oh crap, moments. Thankfully rare, is the time, I need them three seconds to think about it.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-13
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

endotherm Posted at 2017-2-11 15:38

i didnt day tipping i said flopped over.. i meant upside down , sorry for not being more specific.  not sure what firmware im on, prob 1.5x if i remember correctly.
2017-2-15
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

AIister Posted at 2017-2-15 12:52
i didnt day tipping i said flopped over.. i meant upside down , sorry for not being more specific.  not sure what firmware im on, prob 1.5x if i remember correctly.

You can see the attitude correction explained quite well in this video:

2017-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules