My tips on how to stop DJI Mavic from forced firmware and app upd...
7760 22 2017-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bochen7
lvl.2
United States

Lets  say you need to be able to get your drone up and flying in a moments  notice. (plenty of scenarios I could think of) Had that happen to me,  the moment was ruined because hey DJI app had to update, had to download  a 100+ something sized update for a DJI 4 app and won't let you fly the  mavic with the app (of course I could still use controller, but that  means I couldn't really do the filming, which was the whole point of it  all in the first place). Another example, lots of folks opened up their  apps recently to fly the Mavic just to find out that a firmware update  was down deep throat-ed into them, so they have no choice but to do the  update, because once DJI app gets the signal that it needs an update,  you can't go back to before it got the directive from DJI. Then lots of  folks reporting that after the latest firmware update their DJI Mavic is  crazy flying and crashing on its own for no good reason. Lots have suffered hard crashes already. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about how DJI Care customer  service is terrible. Trust me, you don't want to ever find yourself in  that position.  I don't know  about you but I have the right to refuse updates and only update when I  wish to update, and not be subjected to DJI's Guinea pig status.   Long  story short this is the simple easy surefire way to go about it:

I don't ever want anything updating without my consent. Be it a Windows 7 update or a Mavic update or whatever.

This is what I do:

Get a tablet just for flying the mavic, (they are cheap these days) Don't ever connect it to the Internet ever. Download the DJI Go app directly as a apk package instead of through  Google Play, now enjoy the piece of mind of No updates, no forced  firmware updates, etc.

(if you must connect it to the Internet, make sure to put your tablet  or device in airplane mode each time BEFORE starting the DJI app or any  third party apps like Litchi or whatnot; some android devices also let  you go into per application setting to deny a particular application  from using data etc)

Then after a particular update has been tested by the rest of the  public for many weeks, then and only then will I update on my own,  manually, at my discretion and on my own downtime.

Trust me, better safe than sorry. You don't' want to be that Guinea pig. Or lose a perfect moment.

There is a reason why Canon don't force DSLR updates on its camera  owners and Boeing doesn't force FMC updates on the airlines. DJI needs  to learn.

I've heard all kinds of horror stories about how DJI Care customer service is terrible. Trust me, you don't want to ever find yourself in that position.

2017-2-15
Use props
bochen7
lvl.2
United States

And focusing issues still not fixed in this update

Go figure

http://forum.dji.com/thread-81054-1-1.html
2017-2-15
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thats exactly what i have done with my inspire 1,  and i would have done it one step back with the mavic, but i havent got a dedicated screen for it yet, still using my phone  Pah !  i still cant decide on what screen to get just to dedicate to the mavic ?
2017-2-15
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Why don't turn off auto update in the play store? This is no secret in android.
2017-2-15
Use props
bochen7
lvl.2
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-2-15 13:39
Why don't turn off auto update in the play store? This is no secret in android.

Problem is play store will often update itself and then flip the defaults to update auto for all the apps!
2017-2-15
Use props
bochen7
lvl.2
United States

MikeQView Posted at 2017-2-15 13:38
Thats exactly what i have done with my inspire 1,  and i would have done it one step back with the mavic, but i havent got a dedicated screen for it yet, still using my phone  Pah !  i still cant decide on what screen to get just to dedicate to the mavic ?

Fire Tablet, 7" Display for $49.

I personally use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1
2017-2-15
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

bochen7 Posted at 2017-2-15 13:47
Fire Tablet, 7" Display for $49.

I personally use a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1

Wow,  does the fire tablet work ok with GO4 and latest updates ?    Go4 is much more processor and ram hungry now
2017-2-15
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

bochen7 Posted at 2017-2-15 13:46
Problem is play store will often update itself and then flip the defaults to update auto for all the apps!

Oh I just turn it off and the play store usually in the list. Then can pick and choose what you want to update. I have custom roms and install the gapps all in one swoop. Might be a samsung thing then.
2017-2-15
Use props
bochen7
lvl.2
United States

MikeQView Posted at 2017-2-15 13:54
Wow,  does the fire tablet work ok with GO4 and latest updates ?    Go4 is much more processor and ram hungry now

It works okay, but a bit slower. But for Litchi there is more of a lag, but still works.
2017-2-15
Use props
bochen7
lvl.2
United States

Since someone started freaking out from a different forum, I thought as a legal disclaimer I should put this out:

----

""Okay, I am not sure one way or the other on this. However, I work with aircraft firmware as a part of my job, so I like to read people's experiences here and work out what might be going on inside DJI's proprietary system. The previous posts were saying they were told they could not fly until they hit the update button.

Imagine that DJI firmware on the drone has a built-in expiration date which says "DO NOT FLY PAST 2017-02-16 AS REPORTED BY GPS TIME." If you connect to the Internet and there is no new geofencing or logic update patch available on the DJI site, then the built-in expiration date is updated by 1 week or 1 month. If there is an update and it is installed successfully, the new built-in expiration date is also updated accordingly. Such a system would require the user to connect and check for updates on a regular basis, and they would have a clear choice: update or don't fly.

Remember, the operation of aircraft is a heavily regulated industry. There are certain safety requirements for operators and product designers to comply with, even if the end-user likes to think of themselves as special and exempt.""

-----

Is there a CMOS battery inside the Mavic that I don't know about? How does Mavic keep track of the time when not flying and not powered on? It does a radio sync with atomic clock upon each power up? And what about its location upon power up? I would imagine a Mavic that powers up in China shouldn't be subjected to the same regulations as one that powers up in America via the FAA etc. (in that case, if anything were to be hardcoded like that, should it not default to the least restrictive international law first and then apply more local group policies later?) Edit: If it is using GPS TIME then surely it knows GPS location too.

So far, I've not hit the "DO NOT FLY PAST 2017-02-16 AS REPORTED BY GPS TIME." For the record, I do not recommend that no one ever updates, only that there is reasonable forewarning from DJI whenever an update might affect downtime so that the flying customers can plan for it, in lieu of which, as long as no legislation has made it unlawful to do so, the consumer can exercise his or her rights to use the product in such a way as to not be immediately forced upon any and all updates.

In any case, there is no case law and nothing in my state, and no Federal law that mandates consumers accept manufacture hobby drone updates within a certain amount of time. In fact there is currently nothing that mandates that they have to give updates at all whatsoever.

Jailbreaking an smart phone was deemed in the US to be lawful, then case precedent should apply to those who (I myself would probably not undertake any such endeavors) find a way to turn off the forced GPS/GPSTIME modes of the aircraft and fly in ATTI instead. As long as no laws are broken (not flying it inside the protected radius of airport, or higher than 400 feet etc etc or whatever) then there is currently no law that mandates that consumer drones MUST fly with GPS turned on. If that was the case, the RC model aircraft flying without GPS would get in a lot of trouble, not to mention all the drones out there without GPS functionality whatsoever. (and what about people who still build their own drone from scratch?) But that's not the case.

And while you can register an N number with the FAA for the Mavic, it isn't an airplane and doesn't fall under an aircraft.
2017-2-15
Use props
VECTOR 4
lvl.1
United States

Please explain [apk package.] I just purchased by Maverick and I'm  taking my time searching all problems before using it! I would like to follow your advice so can you tell me also what tablets [fits] best on Mavic RC?
Thanks.
2017-2-15
Use props
bochen7
lvl.2
United States

search for apkfun apkupdate etc

apk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_application_package

You don't have to have a Google account or use Google Play at all.And if you are using a Fire /Amazon tablet, your only hope is to use APK since DJI has not published their app to the Amazon app store. (but its really all andriod so it works still)
2017-2-15
Use props
bochen7
lvl.2
United States

https://www.maketecheasier.com/i ... without-the-market/

2017-2-15
Use props
bochen7
lvl.2
United States

VECTOR 4 Posted at 2017-2-15 14:30
Please explain [apk package.] I just purchased by Maverick and I'm  taking my time searching all problems before using it! I would like to follow your advice so can you tell me also what tablets [fits] best on Mavic RC?
Thanks.

Any tablet works, almost. You can PM me for more info. I use the Amazon Fire tablet and also the Galaxy Tab A. (I find the phone to be way to small to see clearly)
2017-2-15
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ok in the UK, if using the drone commercially it is some what frowned upon by the CAA and many UAV NQE's to force update of firmware and then just go fly,  any firmware update should be followed with test time in a safe environment,  not forced upon at take off, many hundreds of people fly DJI drones commercially and i bet its as much of a headache for them as it is me,   my inspire one is on a locked and seperated tablet so that it cannot update at all, ever with out me wanting to,  as soon as i find the right tablet for the mavic it will go the same route,  as soon as testing shows its reliable i will lock it up also, i cant be doing with this constant worry of forced updates changing things.
2017-2-15
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

does the fire tablet fit the rc?
2017-2-15
Use props
bochen7
lvl.2
United States

boostedford Posted at 2017-2-15 17:28
does the fire tablet fit the rc?

Maybe I'm clumsy but the RC, i have never been able to get anything to fit the Rc, not even my 5 inch phone. so I stopped trying. But no i don't think it would fit.
2017-2-15
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

bochen7 Posted at 2017-2-15 14:23
Since someone started freaking out from a different forum, I thought as a legal disclaimer I should put this out:

----

No, you get a registration number.  An N number is reserved for aircraft with an airworthiness certificate.  
2017-2-15
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

bochen7 Posted at 2017-2-15 17:32
Maybe I'm clumsy but the RC, i have never been able to get anything to fit the Rc, not even my 5 inch phone. so I stopped trying. But no i don't think it would fit.

not even ur 5" phone?? thats not right maybe you have a defective rc??
2017-2-15
Use props
ChrisTheSailor
New
Flight distance : 63369 ft
Australia

Good discussion and thanks for the advice.
Unfortunately I read this after starting to update my mavic, and guess what the update failed.
It also failed the next 5 times I tried after restarting, re-installing the app etc.
The message is:
Update Failed. Restart the Equipment and try again later. Reason 0x64080103

Now he mavic camera function icons don't show up on the app any more, it says No SD card and I am actually afraid to take off with this half-update.
No response from DJI, waiting  for over 2 days now.
Any idea what to do?

2017-2-22
Use props
djiuser_nROQO2N2Df4S
New

Australia

Reply Here# This is 100% true. Just about 4 weeks ago during preparation and checking a drone accessory before the planned fly, I was forced to update the firmware on my Mavic2Pro smart controller by DJI server. After the second stage during this firmware update (rev.0072), system pause at 15% installation for 48 hours (actually forever), crushing my almost NEW smart controller into useless SB. I left the controller to DJI store for service. After 2 weeks I received email/cost breakdown for replacement with a manufacturer unactivated main board unit for $432. This is a terrible and expensive experience for me, and I will consider buying other drones for my business in the future.
2023-3-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_nROQO2N2Df4S Posted at 3-30 19:45
Reply Here# This is 100% true. Just about 4 weeks ago during preparation and checking a drone accessory before the planned fly, I was forced to update the firmware on my Mavic2Pro smart controller by DJI server. After the second stage during this firmware update (rev.0072), system pause at 15% installation for 48 hours (actually forever), crushing my almost NEW smart controller into useless SB. I left the controller to DJI store for service. After 2 weeks I received email/cost breakdown for replacement with a manufacturer unactivated main board unit for $432. This is a terrible and expensive experience for me, and I will consider buying other drones for my business in the future.

This is 100% true.
It's not.

I was forced to update the firmware on my Mavic2Pro smart controller by DJI server.

You weren't forced to at all.
If you have automatic updates disabled in your OS settings, you are notified that an update is available and it's your choice whether to update or not.

I will consider buying other drones for my business in the future.
Good luck finding something of comparable quality.
If you do, let me know what it is.

2023-3-30
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why somebody resurrected a thread from 2017 to rant about a smart controller issue is beyond me.  If this truly an issue to your drone related business, then it appears you may need to reconfigure your business plan to accommodate for periodic failures that happen with all manufacturers.  Do not make your problem a DJI problem.  DJI creates a few of their own.  This isn't it.
2023-3-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules