Landing changes request!
1607 12 2017-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Heyandy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 413009 ft
United States

So I previously had a Phantom 3 Pro which had the ground sonar to detect the ground, outside of flying over water I normally didn't turn it off as I didn't have an issue with it.

Now in the Mavic it seems that if you have it on and come in for a landing, you yourself can't land the Mavic.  Instead it hovers about 2 to 2 1/2 feet off the ground and you have to push down on the stick for several seconds to force it to land.  But once landing, you can no longer control the Mavic except to push back up on the stick if you want to cancel the landing.  While this may be a good idea when landing on a large surface, this is TERRIBLE when trying to land on a helipad in any type of wind.

My first flight the ground was snow covered, so obviously didn't want the Mavic sitting in that.  That is where my helipad comes in, it sits on 6 inch nylon bolts to raise it above the ground.  Worked perfectly for the P3P, so figured the same would work for my Mavic...  Only to find this "feature" now in control..   Trying to get the Mavic positioned over the pad at 2 1/2 feet and a 5 to 7 mph wind pushing it around a bit, then pushing down on stick and hoping it will come straight down at the point I need it to is difficult.

My understanding is if I turn off the ground senor it will not do this anymore, is that correct?  (Sorry, haven't had a chance to try.)

Regardless, why can't this feature be turned off and still leave the ground sonar on?

Just wondering...
2017-2-16
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

"But once landing, you can no longer control the Mavic except to push back up on the stick if you want to cancel the landing."

Actually, the right stick does still work during landing. It responds slowly, but you can fine-tune where it lands. I do it all the time, especially in windy conditions.
2017-2-16
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yes if you turned it off you can control the landing as Droneflying says, then you use the right stick to adjust.
2017-2-16
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Australia

Switch off Landing Protection in the advanced vision settings to allow flying the Mavic as close to the ground as you want without it pausing.
2017-2-17
Use props
Heyandy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 413009 ft
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-2-17 03:10
Switch off Landing Protection in the advanced vision settings to allow flying the Mavic as close to the ground as you want without it pausing.

Thanks, I will be out flying tomorrow, will give this a try!

Again, I can see where this setting is useful in certain cases, but I also have cases were it isn't.  Glad to know it is a setting..   Now I just need to remember!!!   

Guess I need to add it to my checklist!
2017-2-17
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

Heyandy Posted at 2017-2-17 19:40
Thanks, I will be out flying tomorrow, will give this a try!

Again, I can see where this setting is useful in certain cases, but I also have cases were it isn't.  Glad to know it is a setting..   Now I just need to remember!!!   

I'm quite happy to leave it disabled. I think there are very few situations in which I would prefer to have it on.
2017-2-18
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-2-17 03:10

I won't fly it to the ground as close as you want because one mistake and your MP will kiss the ground and you will kiss the MP goodbye too. There is a reason NOT to fly too low BECAUSE the MP Gimbal / camera has NO protection WHAT SO EVER for head on crash at any speed.

You can use it to land but I switch it back on.
2017-2-18
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

dronist Posted at 2017-2-18 09:11
I won't fly it to the ground as close as you want because one mistake and your MP will kiss the ground and you will kiss the MP goodbye too. There is a reason NOT to fly too low BECAUSE the MP Gimbal / camera has NO protection WHAT SO EVER for head on crash at any speed.

You can use it to land but I switch it back on.

You don't want to fly yours very close to the ground... In other words, you're flying it as close to the ground as YOU want. We can all fly our Mavics as close to the ground as WE want. I'm quite comfortable making my own decisions about how close to the ground I want to fly my Mavic. I'm probably not gonna fly it 6 inches from the ground at 30 km/h in Sports mode, but I might want to fly it 6 inches from the ground in a very slow and controlled manner.
2017-2-18
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-2-18 21:23
You don't want to fly yours very close to the ground... In other words, you're flying it as close to the ground as YOU want. We can all fly our Mavics as close to the ground as WE want. I'm quite comfortable making my own decisions about how close to the ground I want to fly my Mavic. I'm probably not gonna fly it 6 inches from the ground at 30 km/h in Sports mode, but I might want to fly it 6 inches from the ground in a very slow and controlled manner.

I said... "I won't" so you do what YOU want but DON'T say WE and includes everyone else.

Encouraging newbies to fly unsafely is not in the best interest of anyone.. Some people will take it literally and then come back and   my drone did not do what it is supposed to do.

2017-2-19
Use props
Tharg (from the
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Yes - its simply there for the Click-n-Fly brigade which seems to have manifested since the launch of the Mavic.

It's for those who have no interest in learning to fly a multirotor but would rather rely on some flakey firmware and unreliable sensors.
Mine were turned off from day one and have never been reinstated - I can land far more gently manually in differing conditions than any algorithm can.
2017-2-19
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Tharg (from the Posted at 2017-2-19 11:09
Yes - its simply there for the Click-n-Fly brigade which seems to have manifested since the launch of the Mavic.

It's for those who have no interest in learning to fly a multirotor but would rather rely on some flakey firmware and unreliable sensors.

Perhaps "any algorithm from DJI..."

I use Boeing's "landing algorithms" every flight.  Not only is it consistently more gentle, but consistently PERFECT.

I enjoy the simplicity of the Mavic's P-Mode (nanny mode).  It's why I bought it.  I've done all the nitro R/C helicopter stuff in the past like others have; this is just another R/C experience...  One that concentrates on photos & video.

2017-2-19
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

dronist Posted at 2017-2-19 08:28
I said... "I won't" so you do what YOU want but DON'T say WE and includes everyone else.

Encouraging newbies to fly unsafely is not in the best interest of anyone.. Some people will take it literally and then come back and   my drone did not do what it is supposed to do.

Apologies. Your post came across as a bit condescending, like you were trying to tell us how we should fly our own Mavics (you said "you" a lot, as if speaking directly at me or the reader). Of course anybody who wants to disable a feature like this does so at their own risk, and should have a full understanding of what it is they are disabling.
2017-2-19
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-2-19 21:04
Apologies. Your post came across as a bit condescending, like you were trying to tell us how we should fly our own Mavics (you said "you" a lot, as if speaking directly at me or the reader). Of course anybody who wants to disable a feature like this does so at their own risk, and should have a full understanding of what it is they are disabling.

Hey, Don't sweat it...

At least we are aiming at the same objective. Safety First, Fun Second.
2017-2-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules