1 motor suddenly died with no reason
1397 5 2015-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
asaerong
lvl.3
Flight distance : 562769 ft
Indonesia

I was really having a great time with Inspire, its so stable and locked in. Today i flew again my #8 flight and was very nice (which I hate myself because i forgot to turn on the recording!). After flew, i landed for a while. and when i was arming the quad again to take off, one of my motor didn't spin. and it was so hot! I turned it off wait for it to cool down, took of the props, and try to spin it without power, its a bit heavier than the other 3. I tried again to arm, and still this motor doesn't spin, tried to trigger spin it softly but it stays very hard, gets very hot very fast.

Anyone has any idea of what maybe happen? it was no problem before. I tried to blow the motor just-in-case there is any dirt or something but no result, besides, the motor holes are so tiny so am not sure something big enough can get in and block the motor. had similar case before with my TBS Disco and it turns out it was a failed ESC. hopefully it was nothing like that with my lovely Inspire...

Looking forward for any advice... and worst case, I got this one from a local dealer, should I contact DJI support directly or better contact my dealer first and he should arrange the rest?
2015-2-21
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Bad motor - tough luck, these things happen. Get it replaced and you should be fine. Unfortunate thing is that it will take awhile as I don't think DJI will allow user repairs presently.
2015-2-21
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

Bad motor - tough luck, these things happen. Probably a fault with the bearings. Get it replaced and you should be fine. Unfortunate thing is that it will take awhile as I don't think DJI will allow user repairs presently.
You should contact your local agent and get them to do the legwork. To do a return, DJI needs to issue a ticket / RMA number. This will require you to fill in some forms.

I had a faulty transmitter replaced directly throught DJI. Came after about 10 days. Being polite helps. You have to pay for shipping to them though. (They pay for shipping back). This is pretty standard.

2015-2-21
Use props
asaerong
lvl.3
Indonesia

thanks for the reply and yeah tough luck on the positive side, thank God it didn't happen while in the sky tho'.
Great quad but too bad if we always have to send back for just stuff that we can fix ourself (if its just replacing the motor) as the cost of shipping back and import tax when it return is going to be a lot more than just the cost of motor. Will contact my local dealer., hope they are willing to help.
2015-2-21
Use props
asaerong
lvl.3
Indonesia

Just an update, finally got my i1 up and running yesterday after 5 months hibernating! got new motor and esc from an ebay seller that "canibalize" their stocks. Quite expensive i would say, but one might want to pay a certain amount for this after 5 months of frustration waiting for DJI promise to send the motor+esc (through my dealer) and  looking at a $3k door stopper. So believe it or not, for the sellers, it is much more profitable to sell it as canibalized parts rather than as an aircraft.

note: Having said this, I love my I1 so much, but DJI needs to get their act together quickly. people starts to pursue the canibalization of Inspire 1 by the seller with expensive price, either new or damaged ones due to: no spare parts or reluctance to send it back to DJI because of expensive shipping cost to send it to DJI in US or China. ie. my cheapest option here from where i live is to send via DHL, which asked me for $250. don't know whats DJI gonna charge me for the repair or replace the motor/esc but then although DJI will pay for the return shipment, the custom tax will still be charged to me no matter what, $250+motor/esc repair cost (if i have to pay)+ another $150-$200 custom tax... Motor+esc in ebay costs me $200.

At the end of the day, Lot's of people have their I1 sitting there doing nothing due to, broken motor/esc, broken arm or motor seats, these are common stuff thats should have been available as common spareparts for God's sake! why insist on exclusivity to always send it back to DJI for repairing this. I can agree if this related to FC for example. if this situation persists, then it's just a matter of short time that this product will die.... unless this is DJI's strategy to replace it with something else ie. matrice?, i hope not... right DJI? anyway strange that P3 has just comes out and there are already abundance of it's spareparts ready.

2015-7-4
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>

asaerong Posted at 2015-7-5 10:16
Just an update, finally got my i1 up and running yesterday after 5 months hibernating!  got new mo ...

DJI is making lots of money thank you ;). You were unfortunate. Lots of happy customers, despite all the complaints. They aren't valued US $8 Billion for nothing.
2015-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules