DJI MAVIC PRO VIDEO SKIPS WHEN RECORDING
6406 20 2017-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans15bc20e2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 30928 ft
United States

Hey everyone!!! I got my mavic pro about a month ago and haven't flown it but maybe 20 times.  I've noticed that when I'm recording (4K 30fps) my video skips like a DVD that's scratched. At first I thought it was the signal being disrupted by interference from flying over neighborhoods,signal having to go through trees, etc. I've seen the videos on YouTube of range test over oceans and lakes with no video skips. I've been dying to give my Mavic a long range test and to see how well the camera records in an open area. So I did one evening off of a hill side that had no interference visible. No trees, no houses, no nothing. I calibrated the gimbal, launched my Mav and set course straight ahead. I went out to 13000 feet. No signal problem on the video or the controller. When I viewed the footage, it was again skipping. I haven't seen other videos of anyone else's Mav performing like mine does. Everyone's video seems smooth and flawless. I was wondering if it is just trying to focus or is it a issue that I need to address?  Please help!! I've included a video, but not the range test, so you guys can see if this is normal or not. Don't be judging my video editing skills!! I'm just learning
2017-2-22
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

What you're describing doesn't sound normal, but I don't see a video so can't say for certain.
2017-2-22
Use props
fans15bc20e2
lvl.4
United States

https://youtu.be/iHKhTRtd218 I don't know why it didn't load.
2017-2-22
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

fans15bc20e2 Posted at 2017-2-22 10:01
I don't know why it didn't load.

Can you provide a specific point in time in the video where it skips? I'm 2 minutes into a 7 minute video but haven't noticed anything like what you described yet, but it would be helpful to know where to look. You do need to tweak your settings (ISO, frame rate, etc.) a bit to get a better-quality video, but at this point I haven't noticed anything that's an obvious defect.
2017-2-22
Use props
fans15bc20e2
lvl.4
United States

At about the 2min mark when the text says coming home, I'm turning around and it skips a couple of times. I know i should be getting interference because of the area I'm flying in but this is what it looks like. Thank you so much for viewing my footage. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you again!!
2017-2-22
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

Mine did this too -

2017-2-22
Use props
Chaser720
lvl.3
Flight distance : 400190 ft
Canada

Is this video from the SD card or what has been cached?
2017-2-22
Use props
fans15bc20e2
lvl.4
United States

I'm not sure if I download the original or not. Does anyone think that I should contact DJI about it?
2017-2-22
Use props
Jojoned
lvl.1
Flight distance : 195912 ft
Canada

fans15bc20e2 Posted at 2017-2-22 14:10
I'm not sure if I download the original or not. Does anyone think that I should contact DJI about it?

I had the same issue..a constant stuttering throughout the image most noticeable on turns, regardless of settings. Returned to dealer, replacement does not have any issues with stutter even on auto camera settings right out of the box. My problem solved.
2017-2-23
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1638323 ft
United States

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-2-22 13:03
Mine did this too -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUav5MfWLoQ

You're misdiagnosing the "jello" you've got.  That's braking.  You can edit that out unless you're trying to go for that home movie effect, turn down braking, or try Cinematic Mode.

The stutter is weird & looks like encoding.  Hard to tell since it's been through an unknown process (computer, YouTube).  Does that happen often?
2017-2-23
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

fans15bc20e2 Posted at 2017-2-22 14:10

Your video is the cached video.  This is the recording of the actual live feed screen, so it's 720 & will contain all the interference you saw when you flew.  It'll also only be a low bitrate.  That footage is garbage off the cache - use the microSD card where the recordings are saved.  
2017-2-24
Use props
fans15bc20e2
lvl.4
United States

mavic was ok. So if I downloaded the original on the dji app it would be in 4K or should I remove the SD card and do it that way?  Anyway, thank you for viewing my footage and any camera settings advice is always appreciated!! Thank you again.
2017-2-24
Use props
fans15bc20e2
lvl.4
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-2-24 00:05
Your video is the cached video.  This is the recording of the actual live feed screen, so it's 720 & will contain all the interference you saw when you flew.  It'll also only be a low bitrate.  That footage is garbage off the cache - use the microSD card where the recordings are saved.

I just wanted to make sure my mavic was ok. So if I downloaded the original on the dji app it would be in 4K or should I remove the SD card and do it that way?  Anyway, thank you for viewing my footage and any camera settings advice is always appreciated!! Thank you again.
2017-2-24
Use props
hariedo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10650 ft
Japan

Jojoned Posted at 2017-2-23 22:38
I had the same issue..a constant stuttering throughout the image most noticeable on turns, regardless of settings. Returned to dealer, replacement does not have any issues with stutter even on auto camera settings right out of the box. My problem solved.

If you're recording at 24 FPS or 25 FPS, but your monitor is 60 FPS (pretty common for LCD monitors these days), you may see a little stutter of one frame every second or so.
2017-2-24
Use props
fans15bc20e2
lvl.4
United States

hariedo Posted at 2017-2-24 05:09
If you're recording at 24 FPS or 25 FPS, but your monitor is 60 FPS (pretty common for LCD monitors these days), you may see a little stutter of one frame every second or so.

Thank you. I'm learning!!
2017-2-24
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-2-23 23:59
You're misdiagnosing the "jello" you've got.  That's braking.  You can edit that out unless you're trying to go for that home movie effect, turn down braking, or try Cinematic Mode.

The stutter is weird & looks like encoding.  Hard to tell since it's been through an unknown process (computer, YouTube).  Does that happen often?

I understand what you're saying. Semantics...I'll call it ripple effect and I disagree that it is normal as it was not present in my first Mavic but clearly is in my replacement unit.

If it is caused by breaking then there's a problem because you can see how slow I flew in my video. If I were flying in sport mode the ripple might be understandable, but I am not so there is not hard breaking occurring.

I bought the Mavic for videography not still photography so this is a problem for me. I don't think a valid solution is to edit out and not use defective video after spending $1000 for a flying camera.

Here's the unedited 4k video straight from my Mavic per DJI request and still shows the defects. I have plenty more as it is present in any video recorded from the unit but my dropbox account does not allow for much more space and the files are large.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqpihb828hzq5xc/DJI_0005.MOV?dl=0
2017-2-24
Use props
Adinfinitum
lvl.2
Flight distance : 603816 ft
Netherlands

Just a thought, I could be wrong. The SD card used can not keep up with 4K datastream and therefore drops data packets?
2017-2-24
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-2-24 10:33
I understand what you're saying. Semantics...I'll call it ripple effect and I disagree that it is normal as it was not present in my first Mavic but clearly is in my replacement unit.

If it is caused by breaking then there's a problem because you can see how slow I flew in my video. If I were flying in sport mode the ripple might be understandable, but I am not so there is not hard breaking occurring.

That's because DJI have changed what the default values actually are.  They do this in firmware updates.  One update did include an adjustment to the braking.  Yours is set at 130% now by default.  If you dial that down to 120 or 125%, your issue should go away.  Just try dialing that in & you should be pleased.  

*Side note:  When you're filming in a more open area like that & going to be at a decent altitude, why not give Cinematic Mode a try on that.  
2017-2-24
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-2-24 15:16
That's because DJI have changed the what the default values actually are.  They do this in firmware updates.  One update did include an adjustment to the braking.  Yours is set at 130% now by default.  If you dial that down to 120 or 125%, your issue should go away.  Just try dialing that in & you should be pleased.  

*Side note:  When you're filming in a more open area like that & going to be at a decent altitude, why not give Cinematic Mode a try on that.

I appreciate the info and you're right, it was set to 130 so I backed it down to 100, tested and no change unfortunately. I was hoping you were going to be my hero and this would solve it but no dice....

here's the video I recorded today to test which is straight from the Mavic unedited -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/drjqa414hwltp61/DJI_0009.MOV?dl=0

Shows a lot of ripple in my video.
2017-2-25
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
United States

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-2-25 10:42
I appreciate the info and you're right, it was set to 130 so I backed it down to 100, tested and no change unfortunately. I was hoping you were going to be my hero and this would solve it but no dice....

here's the video I recorded today to test which is straight from the Mavic unedited -

Ah bummer.  That's strange also.  I turned my braking down a bit so and it got rid of the gimbal shake from braking.  It's like it didn't take the value or something.  But that's what that is...  Just go into Cinematic Mode to see how it glides more with adjustment.  Try turning braking down A LOT just to see.
2017-2-25
Use props
fans15bc20e2
lvl.4
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-22 10:05
Can you provide a specific point in time in the video where it skips? I'm 2 minutes into a 7 minute video but haven't noticed anything like what you described yet, but it would be helpful to know where to look. You do need to tweak your settings (ISO, frame rate, etc.) a bit to get a better-quality video, but at this point I haven't noticed anything that's an obvious defect.

I don't own a computer capable of handling the 4K resolution but my phone can!!  So I found this video and it straightened me right on out. Thank you again for your help.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k6ttloxEmEg
2017-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules