1330 11 2017-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
seugnimod
lvl.1
Flight distance : 411073 ft
Portugal

Hi guys,

The title is self explanatory. Today I had a bit of a misunderstood with my mavic and it touched some branches while sliding sideways.

It hovers good.

Thanks !
2017-02-24 17.00.32.jpg
2017-2-24
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I've seen Mavic torture videos where a prop has been clipped down as far as your crack and hovered fine, but should the tip fly off at speed it could take someone's eye out.
2017-2-24
Use props
Zorker
lvl.1

United States

I personally wouldn't. I'd be concerned with the integrity at speed, both from a hazard to others as well as what might happen with control. For the low cost of a prop, I'd replace it. If you don't have any handy, i'd get in the habit of always keeping extras (doesn't help you now, but it's a good practice).
2017-2-24
Use props
seugnimod
lvl.1
Portugal

Thank you both. I have some spares of the fly more combo and I'll use them.
Both your points are valid and at the price of a new one, I shouldn't risk it.

Thanks !
2017-2-24
Use props
VAS67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 265984 ft
United Kingdom

Never fly with damaged props.
Last year I was flying a model aircraft. On the first take off (grass field) I hit a bump and the prop briefly touched the ground. 0.5 seconds later the plane was airborne and I flew it around for about 15 mins, no problems at all and thought no more about it.

On second flight I took off and climbed out to about 100ft, heard a bang followed by a very bad sounding noise, I immediately throttled back to idle ( IC glow fuel  motor) and preceded to land. By the time I'd got to 20ft the tail of the model came off due to the massive vibration caused by a very unbalanced prop. Model crashed and unrepairable.  £1000 down the drain :-( Obviously until I retrieved the model I had no idea what went wrong. Whilst at 100ft the prop threw a blade, sheared right at the centre hub.  Not worth the risk throw all damaged props away and maybe even life them to say 20 or 30 hrs flying and then replace.
They are cheap enough vs a Mavic falling out the sky with hassle, possible libel suit and the expense of not doing so.
2017-2-24
Use props
superjet96
lvl.3
Flight distance : 142743 ft
United States

The integrity is gone.  I would throw that straight in the trash and grab another.  That is what spares are for.
2017-2-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Why risk it?  That thing could fly apart at any time.  Break it into pieces and toss it.
2017-2-24
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Not worth it to try, use your spares . And put in an order for more spares.
2017-2-24
Use props
devGOD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 200577 ft
United States

$9 USD are you seriously asking if you should.... you spent over $1k USD on a drone spend the $9 on new blades
2017-2-24
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
United Kingdom

I wouldn't. Why risking your drone on something that costs 9 bucks a pair?
2017-2-24
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

Any imbalance or extra drag will put unwanted stress on the motor, causing premature wear. There are videos on the web of Phantoms and Mavics with half a prop cut off to show how well the  drone can still fly given all the stabilisation wizardry packed into these things. Beyond a test, it wont take long for that motor to over rev or suffer unnecessary wear.
2017-2-24
Use props
seugnimod
lvl.1
Portugal

devGOD Posted at 2017-2-24 16:00
$9 USD are you seriously asking if you should.... you spent over $1k USD on a drone spend the $9 on new blades

Yes, I am seriously asking. I am not that cheap, but wanted to know if it would be risking or not. Now I know so.
And it's not $9 for me. For me is 9€, with the additional 28€ for shipping.
2017-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules