Drone disconnects, soars upwards, hits and tree and crashes all w...
1220 8 2017-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chaseg_113
New
Flight distance : 21371 ft
United States

Hello. I am a phantom 3 standard owner. The other day, I was flying my drone when all the sudden my remote disconnected from the drone. Them, it started flying upwards very fast, then went flying to the ground. The body was cracked and ruined, and the gimbal broke. I have already filed a case with dji, but they have not shipped my the label. could you help me? Also, i was looking at my flight records, and it says the moment i crashed it, it says I put it on return to home. This is wrong because i was flying it fairly close to me. I would have had to swipe the little orange thing to do that anyway which I didn't. I am very puzzled. I you could help, that would be great.
2017-2-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Flying upwards is the first step in the RTH process and if the aircraft loses the control signal from the controller for 3 seconds, it initiates RTH.
That sounds like it's a missing part of your puzzle.
2017-2-25
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

The title says it all ....

Add that to the post and bingo ....

AC detects lost control signal.

AC initiates RTH and climbs

Hits tree

Crashes.

Sorry to OP - but when flying amongst trees - cancel the RTH function to avoid hitting trees if any problems.
Just a question to OP   ... did you toggle the left top switch at all ?  if you flick that switch while flying - that kicks in RTH ...

Nigel

2017-2-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Sorry to hear about the crash.
May I know when you submitted the case? you will receive an e-mail with the shipping label in 1-2 business days.
Please provide us the case number, we could check it for you.
2017-2-26
Use props
chaseg_113
New
United States

yes the case number is CAS-474690-R5L7M9 @DJI Natalia
2017-2-26
Use props
chaseg_113
New
United States

and no, I did not flip any switches, it just started flying upwards. And I understand that the drone flies upwards when it RTH, and it did disconnect. But how could that be possible? I was less than 20 feet from it?
2017-2-26
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

chaseg_113 Posted at 2017-2-26 11:01
and no, I did not flip any switches, it just started flying upwards. And I understand that the drone flies upwards when it RTH, and it did disconnect. But how could that be possible? I was less than 20 feet from it?

Had you moved from original take off point ?

RTH relates to original takeoff point unless you reset it during flight.

Nigel
2017-2-26
Use props
chaseg_113
New
United States

the RTH is not my issue really. The RTH is not the whole reason it started. The remote disconnected from the drone from 10 feet away. Thats my concern.
2017-2-27
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Unfortunately it is a concern as you say it RTH 10ft from you. But only if outside a 20m radius of Home Point will AC on RTH rise to a height set in the APP by you.

But at under 65ft (20m) from Home Point ... as per page 13 of the manual ... the AC will automatically DESCEND and land if Failsafe RTH is triggered. It should not rise ...

So if you moved from original take off point ... which many of us do ... then your position is ignored unless you reset Home Point on AC during flight to that of the Controller. If you move so that distance YOU are is 20m or more from home point and you fly relatuve to your new position without resetting HP ... AC will only know original HP. It will rise on RTH triggered.

Seriously not trying to offend or be rude - just trying to get as much info as possible to try and suggest what went wrong.

Nigel
2017-2-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules