[Misleading Title] Scary WIFI Crash (DO NOT FLY WIFI!!!)
981 19 2017-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IronFist Creati
New

United States

Hey guys!
I just wanted to share my experience from last night and warn you guys to be very careful when flying wifi.
Last night I decided to test out wifi with my Mavic. I was in my garage testing it in a pretty open area so I had no worries. Just wanted to see what it was like.
When I clicked "take off" I instantly got a message saying lost signal to drone, then another message returning home. Those messages appeared before the drone even began to take off. So on takeoff the drone skyrocketed into my ceiling smashing and exploding my lights which ended up cutting my face and hands. And all the propellers broke. Luckily the drone still works, but now I have to wait till DJI ships out my replacement propellers.
I definitely tried to reach out to DJI, which was useless as you all know heh. I was told "We are sorry for your inconvenience." The drone going crazy destroying my garage lights, cutting me, and braking all propellers is more then an inconvenience. . . .
So I just wanted to let you know, be very careful if you try wifi, personally I don't think I will ever use it again....

2017-3-2
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Sux that you had that disconnect and crash, but one thing everyone should do before flying indoors is change the behavior of RC signal loss to "Hover" or "Land" instead of the default "Return to Home." There's a good chance your Mavic would have survived unscathed if it hadn't tried to RTH.
2017-3-2
Use props
IronFist Creati
New

United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-3-2 09:55
Sux that you had that disconnect and crash, but one thing everyone should do before flying indoors is change the behavior of RC signal loss to "Hover" or "Land" instead of the default "Return to Home." There's a good chance your Mavic would have survived unscathed if it hadn't tried to RTH.

That is a great point. I will have to change that for future issues. Definitely sucks that it happened, and yea it would have just stayed there otherwise.

Thanks for the tip Jason. That alone is more support then I got from DJI lol.
2017-3-2
Use props
Harbourside
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Nothing wrong with WIFI flying, the heading should read, Do not do a test flight in an enclosed garage !
2017-3-2
Use props
Bpup
lvl.2
Flight distance : 192343 ft
Norway

Harbourside Posted at 2017-3-2 11:27
Nothing wrong with WIFI flying, the heading should read, Do not do a test flight in an enclosed garage !

Agreed.. the title scared the living **** out of me, as i use the wifi mode alot.
2017-3-2
Use props
IronFist Creati
New

United States

Harbourside Posted at 2017-3-2 11:27

True, but with the remote it only lifts 4ft, my garage is about 6-7 feet so I felt safe doing it. I agree that flying in a garage is not a good idea, but the fact that it lost connection and smashing my lights which exploded and cut me was pretty scary.
2017-3-2
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

I thought if the mavic was within 5m of take off it would just descend and land and NOT RTH....
2017-3-2
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

last time i tried wifi mode my phone froze trying to get it to land in my living room. i had to grab the underside to catch it before it crashed into the tv. so here i am for 3 min struggling to hold it whiles its at full throttle because of vps, and not knowing what to do cause my phone is frozen. then i think maybe ill let go of it outside so i dont have to struggle holding it. then i think thats not a good idea its kinda windy im afraid itll hit the house. now im sitting there outside fighting with it not to fly off. then i manage to get it back inside again figuring its safer cause i wont possibly lose it that way. finally after maybe 7 min later my phone unfreezes and im able to move the imaginary stick down to turn the engines off. very scary experience with wifi. that was my 3rd try with it. the first 2 times it worked fine
2017-3-2
Use props
IronFist Creati
New

United States

boostedford Posted at 2017-3-2 12:27
last time i tried wifi mode my phone froze trying to get it to land in my living room. i had to grab the underside to catch it before it crashed into the tv. so here i am for 3 min struggling to hold it whiles its at full throttle because of vps, and not knowing what to do cause my phone is frozen. then i think maybe ill let go of it outside so i dont have to struggle holding it. then i think thats not a good idea its kinda windy im afraid itll hit the house. now im sitting there outside fighting with it not to fly off. then i manage to get it back inside again figuring its safer cause i wont possibly lose it that way. finally after maybe 7 min later my phone unfreezes and im able to move the imaginary stick down to turn the engines off. very scary experience with wifi. that was my 3rd try with it. the first 2 times it worked fine

Dang dude, that sounds even more scary then my experience. I checked my flight log to see if I got any errors or w/e and my whole take off and crash took 3 seconds lol.
2017-3-2
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
United States

damn thats not right. too unreliable on wifi especially when it only works on a limited amount of phones
2017-3-2
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 405102 ft
Latvia

Could be issue with phone connecting back to home wi-fi network, got same problem with gopro4 at home.
2017-3-2
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Sorry to hear, but this is user error. The part where you TEST something inside. That it lost signal is perfectly possible. It is WIFI.
Hope lesson learned. In a open space, nothing would have happened and returned to home as expected.
2017-3-2
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
United States

i learned from the phantoms that connecting to wifi always forget your home network if flying anywhere near ur home
2017-3-2
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I was in my garage testing it in a pretty open area

What's wrong with this statement?  A garage, no matter how large, is not an open area!  But I think you know that.
2017-3-2
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1638323 ft
United States

Wifi mode blows.  That's why it won't be on the Mavic 2 Pro per DJI-Mindy.
2017-3-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm sorry for your crash, I would never use WiFi mode indoors.
Also when flying under something you should always set the RTH settings to your flight environment.
2017-3-2
Use props
IronFist Creati
New

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-2 14:19
I'm sorry for your crash, I would never use WiFi mode indoors.
Also when flying under something you should always set the RTH settings to your flight environment.

Haha yea I learned that the hard way Ken. I will avoid using it from now on, I don't trust it.
2017-3-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

IronFist Creati Posted at 2017-3-2 14:19
Haha yea I learned that the hard way Ken. I will avoid using it from now on, I don't trust it.

I've used it many many times and I've never had any issues with it while outdoors in an open area.
2017-3-2
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

IronFist Creati Posted at 2017-3-2 14:19

You can use it... but before using anything new to, you should go over all kind of the scenarios and only then after testing you can say good or not good to use.

SAFETY FIRST, FUN SECOND!
2017-3-2
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Acidsnow Posted at 2017-3-2 12:20
I thought if the mavic was within 5m of take off it would just descend and land and NOT RTH....

You're right, that is what it's supposed to do. It's possible that since the was being flown inside a garage with poor GPS signal, the Home Point may have been inaccurately recorded some distance away.
2017-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules