ATTI mode to GPS mode
10592 12 2017-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MDSH
lvl.3
Flight distance : 334869 ft
United Kingdom

When the Mavic switches from GPS mode to ATTI mode, for what reasion might cause that when the AC is outdoors with many satellites in view, why doesn't it switch back to GPS mode?The AC knows where it is, it's location is still being logged with perfect accuracy and the telemetry is returned to the RC.

I just wonder why it doesn't switch back to GPS mode. I imagine that would solve many of the fly-away issues.
2017-3-4
Use props
harfordhawk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18668 ft
United States

this is the question a lot of people are asking, but we don't have an answer from dji.  It must have something to do with the other sensors such as compasses. I thinkit gets confused as to what is correct, so it triggers gpshealth flag to 1.  anything under 4 on gpshealth, seems to cause ATTI mode.  In my experience it does come back given some time and then will switch back to GPS mode.  The unanswered question in my opinion, is why the gpshealth drops from 5 to 1 when you have great sat view and maybe 16 sats.
2017-3-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

harfordhawk Posted at 2017-3-4 06:16
this is the question a lot of people are asking, but we don't have an answer from dji.  It must have something to do with the other sensors such as compasses. I thinkit gets confused as to what is correct, so it triggers gpshealth flag to 1.  anything under 4 on gpshealth, seems to cause ATTI mode.  In my experience it does come back given some time and then will switch back to GPS mode.  The unanswered question in my opinion, is why the gpshealth drops from 5 to 1 when you have great sat view and maybe 16 sats.

Gps satellite systems are a network of satellites that orbit the earth, while many think that because they have 12/14 satellites minimum 7/8 for stability what they have are in fact a mixture of satellites coming from US (gps) and (Glonass) Russian also you have Chinese European and Indian so while you think you have 16/17 sats you don't you just have a mixture but you need at least 7 in these Aircraft for stability.
If you are in areas around forest tall buildings underneath bridges this will have a big effect on what and how many sats you are receiving, so if you see 17 satellites it doesn't mean you are operating with 17 this is just because your AC has dual receiver allowing it to see more than gps satellites.

Many of the problems I see around here are as a result of bad environment, not all but there are many..
2017-3-4
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Never had an issue with GPS/ATTI sine I got it 4 months ago. I don't fly around CELL TOWERS, high powered line, bridges etc...
2017-3-4
Use props
harfordhawk
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-4 06:45
Gps satellite systems are a network of satellites that orbit the earth, while many think that because they have 12/14 satellites minimum 7/8 for stability what they have are in fact a mixture of satellites coming from US (gps) and (Glonass) Russian also you have Chinese European and Indian so while you think you have 16/17 sats you don't you just have a mixture but you need at least 7 in these Aircraft for stability.
If you are in areas around forest tall buildings underneath bridges this will have a big effect on what and how many sats you are receiving, so if you see 17 satellites it doesn't mean you are operating with 17 this is just because your AC has dual receiver allowing it to see more than gps satellites.

yes this explanation gets told over and over, but my experience says different. I have been flying rc gear with gps for years. I could reliably fly gps with 6-8 sats.  True sats come and go, things block them etc.  When you are flying 150 feet up on level terrain on a good day with low Kp index, etc you should not .should not, loose GPS. something about the Mavic just can't be understood at least by me.  I don't doubt some mavics never have this problem and others do, but you can't explain it away with number of sats, etc as that is not my experience
2017-3-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

harfordhawk Posted at 2017-3-4 15:10
yes this explanation gets told over and over, but my experience says different. I have been flying rc gear with gps for years. I could reliably fly gps with 6-8 sats.  True sats come and go, things block them etc.  When you are flying 150 feet up on level terrain on a good day with low Kp index, etc you should not .should not, loose GPS. something about the Mavic just can't be understood at least by me.  I don't doubt some mavics never have this problem and others do, but you can't explain it away with number of sats, etc as that is not my experience

I think the fact is most Mavic don't have this problem, if you have a problem with this then it's only a matter of syncing your flights to dji and get them to sort it, this maybe a satellite receiver problem , sometimes it seems strange because all the info is there on your logs , I haven't heard dji say there is no problem with this.

Only know if this was happening to mine, I would log the flights contact dji get them to explain what's happening and get it sorted. It really is that simple.
2017-3-4
Use props
BashP4P+
lvl.2

United Kingdom

ive flown a mavic pro of a friends over the last couple of days.  i was picking up 19/20 gps sats and it didnt flick into atti mode at all at any point.  held gps nicely  
2017-3-4
Use props
harfordhawk
lvl.2
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-4 15:55
I think the fact is most Mavic don't have this problem, if you have a problem with this then it's only a matter of syncing your flights to dji and get them to sort it, this maybe a satellite receiver problem , sometimes it seems strange because all the info is there on your logs , I haven't heard dji say there is no problem with this.

Only know if this was happening to mine, I would log the flights contact dji get them to explain what's happening and get it sorted. It really is that simple.

already did that had dji look at it. they said it all seemed okay to them. so I'll just have to see I guess
2017-3-4
Use props
Denissio
lvl.1
Flight distance : 242129 ft
Russia

I got my Mavic 2 days ago and yesterday was having my first flight with it. And on minute from 7 till 8 Mavic lost GPS, it still was showing 21 satellite but signal was showing 1 from 5 and  it switched to ATTI from GPS. It was quote windy, hence Mavic moved for about 150 meters while i was trying to understand "what's going on here", After a minute GPS signal returned. It all happened in countryside, perfect environment for flying, and my Phantom 4 was never loosing signal at this place.  

So, looks like it's quote often problem for some of Mavic's and it is really sad that DJI does not want to accept the fact they have the problem and announce some service company to fix the issue.
2017-3-5
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1905381 ft
United States

harfordhawk Posted at 2017-3-4 06:16

I ágree. The gps health dropping suddenly and the subsequent drop into Atti mode appears to be when something unexpected occurs, often times having to do with the compass. Often you will see TBE and a gps health drop/Atti  together. Seems to be more prevalent with more aggressive flying also. Hopefully dji is working on a fix because many have little control when flying in Atti. The Mavics difficulty flying in Atti (or pilots inability to fly Atti) appears to be another problem that exacerbates this issue.
2017-3-5
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

This happens when the compass data (Compass 1) is incorrect so causes an error, the Mavic should switch to compass 2 until the error clears, but in my experience, this doesn't always happen.
For me this has only ever happened when flying in sports mode, so i tend not to fly in sports mode much at all...

2017-3-5
Use props
MDSH
lvl.3
Flight distance : 334869 ft
United Kingdom

I never use sports mode and its happened to me, so I don't think sports mode is relovant.
I suspect the switch to ATTI mode because GPS status drops to 1 may be due to overheating.
It happened to me on the third consecutive battery change - the Mavic fan was very noisy at the start of the that flight. I suspect using sport mode will also use more current therefore more heating.
2017-3-6
Use props
frankengels
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2273796 ft
Belgium

MDSH Posted at 2017-3-6 02:57
I never use sports mode and its happened to me, so I don't think sports mode is relovant.
I suspect the switch to ATTI mode because GPS status drops to 1 may be due to overheating.
It happened to me on the third consecutive battery change - the Mavic fan was very noisy at the start of the that flight. I suspect using sport mode will also use more current therefore more heating.

I agree with MDSH, I could nearly trigger every time by switching form sports mode to normal the GPS fix loss. Since the last 2 firmware updates ( since .400) this seems to be solved for me.
As I wrote already in an other tread, loosing GPS fix occurred nearly on any of my drones, which are different brands.
Some of these GPS outages are probably from compass error.
We don't have to forget that the earth magnetic field is not always stable; settled.
For the moment for example the earth magnetic field activity in Europe around Germany is in Storm status and this can affect the compass sensor.
2017-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules