Crashed by Litchi, need analysis
1686 21 2017-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tischnekoalex
lvl.1
Flight distance : 179833 ft
Ukraine

Hello, I couldn't find Litchi forum and I see that often this app discussed here. So hopefully someone can help me. I don't blame anyone, just would understand what happened and how to avoid this in future.

I liked Litchi descriptions and bought it today. Did a test flight and wanted to test different modes. Started with Tracking and then switched to Follow me mode. The P3S was hovering at around 7 meters above ground. Calm day. I turned on "Follow me" mode and eventually P3S start moving somewhere at full speed. It crashed in the roof of my house and drop on the ground with propellers down. I took it up. Motors were still spinning and I tried to turn off the bird by stick commands - no reaction. I also tried to cancel the follow me mode in Litchi, but seems like it was unresponsive. I kept the bird steady in my arm, but I felt that it was trying to fly away (it was not trying to hover). I turned it off by unplugging the battery.

Now I'm trying to analyze what happened. I have logs from Litchi and from Phantom. HealthyDrones doesn't report anything weird before this happened, but after the crash moment there are red points for GPS and Compass, which is normal, because if crashed and I was holding it in my arm.
2017-3-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Post the logs.
2017-3-4
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Cannot analyse if we have no log to view ...

Litchi does not need outside utility to be able to read its log as you know ... so if you link us to it ... maybe we can find something.

My first thoughts though are Why are you trying out something like Follow me etc. next to your house ... actually any object !

As I understand it - there is a minimum distance required between you and the AC ... maybe that is what it was doing ... moving out to that .. and you were too close to house ? I don't know - maybe ..

Nigel
2017-3-4
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Sounds like you might have got a bad fix for your mobile device.  What are you using?  
2017-3-4
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

You set the distance from the drone to the controller through the Litchi app. If your house was within that set distance, your drone will hit the house. The drone will fly around within that set distance in the follow me mode. I suggest the next time you are trying out some new apps., software, firmware, add ons, etc. that you fly in a      w   i   d   e      o   p   e   n     area!
2017-3-4
Use props
tischnekoalex
lvl.1
Ukraine

Here is a Litchi log:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.co ... -04_17-27-52_v2.csv

And Phantom log:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21463705/FLY146.DAT

The flight started in front of me, not behind the trees, houses, etc.
Distance... Maybe... I was close enough to it (3m), so probably it tried to achieve the necessary distance first? I'm new to Litchi and expected that it will work like in DJI app - the distance set automatically.

As flight device I use Samsing GalaxyS5 Mini.
2017-3-4
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Page 15 of Litchi manual says ...

WARNING : It is advisable to only use the Follow Feature in wide open areas.

Page 17 then says that AC when follow is started will initially rise to 4m and then move to the relative position as per settings.

It sounds Alex ... as if you didn't set-up the parameters before test. AND that you tried it in an unsuitable area.

Just a question : Are you hoping to use this P3 for video'ing the Corrupt Officials ? I know that various people are using Phantoms for this work ...

Nigel
2017-3-4
Use props
tischnekoalex
lvl.1
Ukraine

Seems like you're right, it is my fault with settings. Luckily I lost only 3 propellers because of this crash, so will try tomorrow in suitable place.
It is a bit frightening thought... could it be another reason for its started moving? Maybe wrong GPS data or something? Can this info be taken from the logs? I'm wondering if it start flying away without reacting to controls (recall, I tried to turn it off while taking at hands) it could fly too far.

In our country its easy enough to find corrupt officials without drone So I'm using it for fun, not for work.

2017-3-4
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Alex .... please download the Manual for Litchi ..... before next attempt.

I do a lot of work in Ukraine and Crimea ...

I was in Kerch when Crimea changed and I was stuck for 4.5 months ...... I had to 'hitch a lift' on one of the ships I was supervising to get out.

It is sad that Corruption has destroyed your Country ..... but you can find it everywhere to be honest.

Nigel
2017-3-4
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Here's an example of Litchi Follow Me.  Note that I'm in a wide open area, as Nigel points out.  

Before initiating Follow Me, I think it would be wise to walk around a little first and watch the blue dot on your screen so you're sure it's not jumping around.  It might also a good idea to be prepared to cancel Follow Me immediately if you see your AC move rapidly into an area you don't expect.  
2017-3-4
Use props
tischnekoalex
lvl.1
Ukraine

Sure, I'll read the manual now.

Yes, corruption can be found everywhere, but we have a lot of it. It is not in bad officials, but because of lazy, mostly not educated and not organized people. Yes... like me, who read the manual after the crash...
2017-3-4
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

What I still find amazing is that it doesn't have an auto motor cut. If it's upside down then it should cut the motors. I've seen someone recover a phantom from a bush and as he pulled it out it went mad trying to fly away again.
2017-3-4
Use props
tischnekoalex
lvl.1
Ukraine

Should it really turn off the motors in this case? I've seen something similar at my very first attempts with P3S (with standard DJI app) - it was landed on the ground after a flight and I wanted to turn off motors by moving two sticks at down-side positions like described in manual. Something went wrong and P3S turned upside down and motors were still running. I had to take it at hand and retry attempt with sticks, which turned it off at this time.
2017-3-4
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Most experienced DJI pilots hate CSC including myself.  Best way to shut off the motors after landing upright is left stick down and wait 3 secs.  Motors will stop without a problem.  If the AC lands upside down for some reason, I would lock left stick down and then carefully but firmly pick up the AC by the vertical landing gear, move it right side up above your head, and then hold it very still for 3 secs.  Motors will stop.  
2017-3-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-3-4 13:08
What I still find amazing is that it doesn't have an auto motor cut. If it's upside down then it should cut the motors. I've seen someone recover a phantom from a bush and as he pulled it out it went mad trying to fly away again.

It would seem that the priority for the aircraft is to get itself upright again, and while trying to do that, it ignores everything else.
2017-3-4
Use props
tischnekoalex
lvl.1
Ukraine

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-3-4 14:00
Most experienced DJI pilots hate CSC including myself.  Best way to shut off the motors after landing upright is left stick down and wait 3 secs.  Motors will stop without a problem.  If the AC lands upside down for some reason, I would lock left stick down and then carefully but firmly pick up the AC by the vertical landing gear, move it right side up above your head, and then hold it very still for 3 secs.  Motors will stop.

Since that first time I don't use CSC as well. During this last crash I did the same steps that you described, but it didn't off help some reason. I also tried to turn off/on the RC, tried to reconnect with DJI app - no luck. Only battery removal helped.
2017-3-5
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

That's very strange.
2017-3-5
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

For others who use Litchi, or play with any IOC flight modes in any app - PLEASE!!!! Do it in a wide open field, know how to abort IOC from your radio with a switch, do not fly too low until you unbderstand how thigs work! If you do this, your chances of a crash come down significantly!
2017-3-5
Use props
Mikkovtun
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5247953 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

А падіння під час використання Лісів, не DJI go app, анулюється гарантія від виробника?
2017-3-5
Use props
tischnekoalex
lvl.1
Ukraine

Схоже, що так: Failure of, or damage caused by, any third party products, including those that DJI may provide or integrate into the DJI product at your request
http://www.dji.com/service/policy
2017-3-5
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Post deleted by author

Nigel
2017-3-5
Use props
KevinJD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39012 ft
Australia

Try this main Litchi forum tischnekoalex.

https://www.facebook.com/flylitchi

and this is the HUB for planning flights in case you don't already know it.

https://flylitchi.com/hub

2017-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules