we got lost and crashed
2672 38 2017-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KatsDrone
lvl.1

United States

finally i can strat a new post here!!    hubby crahed our brand new p4 on sunday   how do we get our money back?  best buy said no
2017-3-6
Use props
KatsDrone
lvl.1

United States

all the time we follow the gps like we were told here and then it just stopped and we were lost how can i find it?
2017-3-6
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

KatsDrone Posted at 2017-3-6 20:43
all the time we follow the gps like we were told here and then it just stopped and we were lost how can i find it?

if you were recording video when it happened, you can check to see where it went down from the video on your phone/tablet.
2017-3-6
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

We got lost and crashed doesn't sound like it's the fault of the drone. Pilot error perhaps?

You need to upload your flight logs for DJI to analyse. It's quite possible you hit something.  

Register with Healthy drones.   Your phone will still have the flght log.  Synch to healthy drones.

Then download the ORIGINAL file and post it to phantomhelp.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-3-6
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Kat,

Did you read the manual so you would know about the Return to Home feature?  Did you set the proper altitude?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-7
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

You could have brought up the map on the GO app and followed the track back to the drone
2017-3-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

We are sorry to hear about your crash.
May I know you've contacted our tech support or not?
I do suggest you to send it in and get the flight data analyzed.
2017-3-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-6 21:29
We got lost and crashed doesn't sound like it's the fault of the drone. Pilot error perhaps?

You need to upload your flight logs for DJI to analyse. It's quite possible you hit something.  

This is unnecessarily complicated.
Ignore Healthydrones as it will give little useful information.
Go straight to Phantomhelp.com.
Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone here might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident and possibly point you toward a likely search area.
2017-3-7
Use props
KatsDrone
lvl.1

United States

we found it on top of our camper i saw it from the bedroom window this morning  it looks good but i have to wait until hubby come home to get it down  thanks for the help

2017-3-7
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

It most likely did a RTH and landed on top of the camper.
2017-3-7
Use props
freelanderuk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 177720 ft
United Kingdom

Returned to Mobile Home
2017-3-7
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

KatsDrone Posted at 2017-3-7 09:49
we found it on top of our camper i saw it from the bedroom window this morning  it looks good but i have to wait until hubby come home to get it down  thanks for the help

Sorry, but this really did make me

Can't you get it yourself?
2017-3-7
Use props
KatsDrone
lvl.1

United States

i cant do ladders but it's down now and it looks good it was upright and we don't know how it go there   hubby is reading a manual we found online and he think it went home but lost the way because we moving around to other side of the house and lost track of it  
2017-3-7
Use props
Grrrrrr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1212684 ft
United States

KatsDrone Posted at 2017-3-7 11:51
i cant do ladders but it's down now and it looks good it was upright and we don't know how it go there   hubby is reading a manual we found online and he think it went home but lost the way because we moving around to other side of the house and lost track of it

Kats good rule of thumb until you get familiar with your new bird is to ALWAYS keep it in site. And second rule is to read and watch videos on line to help out
2017-3-7
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

KatsDrone Posted at 2017-3-7 11:51

If you block the signal from the RC to drone because you flew your drone behind an obstacle it will RTH. You lost track of it when you moved to the other side of the house.  
So this means you had no visual on the drone which is why you thought it had crashed.  Glad your drone is OK.  Hope you remember to call best buy and apologize for not crashing your drone at all.  You should ground your hubby from flying and let him use the flight simulator you have with DJI.

Learn to fly with that first for awhile.  Your drone was not lost and it didnt get lost.  Best thing is to take it to a park with no trees or maybe a track and field and do some low level flying so you can see how it's flown in clear airspace. Also fly it a couple hundred feet and then use the RTH command so you can see how it will return.  You can use app or switches on remote for that.

2017-3-7
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-3-7 01:25
Aloha Kat,

Did you read the manual so you would know about the Return to Home feature?  Did you set the proper altitude?

Aloha Cetacean,

We were just talking about it few days ago... didn't we?
2017-3-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

This is one for the history/record books. ;-)
Please take a pic of it, before you bring her down.

Haha, man, I just can't stop smiling, about this good luck, happy ending story. Yes, RTH works, when set up correctly.
But knowing that it isn't an exact science, please take off from a more open area, avoiding obstacles.
A foot closer to the edge, and it may have been found, broken and irreparable. You got very lucky.
But it's a great lesson too. Life principles and learning. Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-3-7
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I'm sorry to hear. If you cannot locate the unit using the last known location the map, it would be best to sync the flight records from the Go app and send an email to the NA Support team for a potential warranty claim.
2017-3-7
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Most retailers will not refund a unit that's no longer in a customer's possession. The best course of action to follow the advice in my previous post.
2017-3-7
Use props
Sloan Fischer
lvl.3
United States

did you have insurance?
2017-3-7
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-7 22:16
Most retailers will not refund a unit that's no longer in a customer's possession. The best course of action to follow the advice in my previous post.

They located it as stated in a post above. Landed OK. No crash.
2017-3-7
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-3-7 19:46
Aloha Cetacean,

We were just talking about it few days ago... didn't we?

Aloha dronist,

There does seem to be a recollection of that.  I hope they do not have more important things worth $1500 to spend money on.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-3-7
Use props
UltraDan
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Funniest post I've ever read....lololol Really there are some people that should never be allowed near a drone... or a car....or anything ghats requires common sense...
2017-3-7
Use props
UltraDan
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I can only imagine the restraint that the guy at best buy must have had to not burst out laughing when you rang up asking for your money back
2017-3-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

UltraDan Posted at 2017-3-7 23:39
I can only imagine the restraint that the guy at best buy must have had to not burst out laughing when you rang up asking for your money back

You hopefully know by now, her drone was just fine, in fact it had flown home on its own. (RTH)
Ah yes, the model, was found, back at home, sun tanning on the roof of the motor home, outside the house in the driveway.
You gotta love it when everything goes right. To respect it, when something fails, the drone acted accordingly, as DJI predicted it should.

You have got to love a happy ending, like this one.

I know that I do. ;-)

I hope the OP would spend some time, to RTFM a few more, front to backs And do some practice with the onboard flight SIM for a few hours.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-8
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-3-7 22:28
They located it as stated in a post above. Landed OK. No crash.

I must have missed that. It's good to see all is well.
2017-3-8
Use props
calls4u2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

Would be good if we could download the full flight from the drone so they could see it did what it was designed to do. A happy ending. Now go and read the manual and watch the tutorials etc!
2017-3-8
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

calls4u2 Posted at 2017-3-8 16:32
Would be good if we could download the full flight from the drone so they could see it did what it was designed to do. A happy ending. Now go and read the manual and watch the tutorials etc!

Yes, as I stated above, spend some quality time, and RTFM. over and over...

Let it sink in real deep.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Think a few homing pigeons would be a better hobby for this couple, lol
2017-3-8
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Taiwan

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-8 16:40
Think a few homing pigeons would be a better hobby for this couple, lol

That will be the new name for their drone.  Homing Pigeon.  
When pilot operator error occurs, just go home.  
2017-3-8
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

What a happy end and tough lesson. Good that you got it back
2017-3-8
Use props
Kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

the drone is ready to fly out of the box

however the operator takes some training and learning!

good luck!
2017-3-8
Use props
joe_gadget
lvl.4

Australia

Lol isn't that always the case?
2017-3-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-3-8 17:50
That will be the new name for their drone.  Homing Pigeon.  
When pilot operator error occurs, just go home.

I'm a bit confused here, they bought their AC from Apple store (link below) and they went back to Best Buy for a refund...lol

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=260008
2017-3-9
Use props
Sprtbkrydr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3777011 ft
United States

People buy these thinking that they are toys when in fact they are not toys at all! They do take some level of skill to operate properly and we can't stress enough that you need to read the manual!! You may save yourself some heartache down the road by taking just an hour or so to read it then you will have a better understanding of how all of it works.
2017-3-9
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-9 02:31
I'm a bit confused here, they bought their AC from Apple store (link below) and they went back to Best Buy for a refund...lol

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=87118&pid=719423&fromuid=260008

Hehe. Yep.
2017-3-9
Use props
onajourney
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34695 ft
United States

I can hear Fred Sanford say'n "Dummy, pure dummy".
2017-3-10
Use props
DalecWilson
lvl.1

United States

Thanks! this is the mosted I've laughed in a long time " found it on top our camper" and " and we don't know how it go there  " plus the really funny thing is people are trying to help you find it.Dale

2017-3-11
Use props
fansc06c05ba
lvl.1
Flight distance : 410623 ft
United States

Did you hear the one about the hubby calling his wife asking if the drone made it home--well send it back out "I'm lost again"
2017-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules