Annoying Auto Exposure Problem
1768 6 2017-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rapfife
lvl.2
Flight distance : 160102 ft
United States

Using the Phantom P4P, I would set a shutter speed of 60fps, video size of 2.7. The 60fps is set manually with the ISO at 100 and the aperture is in auto.

When doing a POI shot as the drone revolves around the target the exposure changes in noticeable steps as the light changes due to the different angles the video is shot from.
Is there a way to avoid the obvious 'stepping' as the expopsure changes due to differing lighting conditions?

Here is a link to a quick video where as i change angles you can see the stepping of the exposure changes. Very annoying.
ANy help would be appreciated.

2017-3-12
Use props
Rapfife
lvl.2
United States

Surely i am not the only one having this issue? or am I?
2017-3-14
Use props
RobSinfield
lvl.3
Flight distance : 187493 ft
Canada

You should let people know where the problem is with a timestamp.  The hillbilly music made me bail after 5 seconds.

Are you using auto white balance?
2017-3-14
Use props
CharlesWhiteman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 923114 ft
United Kingdom

No you're not the only one.  I shot this 240fps with apature set to 6.3. W/B set to cloudy. And I too got step-changes in exposure.

2017-3-14
Use props
gt3rs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280056 ft
Switzerland

Unfortunately the aperture stepping is badly implemented making auto aperture useless. They should do the aperture ramp much more slower like Canon dslr do.
Basically for video only manual is safe, so you need to expose for the brighter scene that you will have in your single take.

Actually what they really should do is implementing auto iso in manual mode with a really smooth and slow stepping and enabling exposure compensation too. I film with my Canon always in manual mode but when I know that the exposure needs to change I use auto iso and it works really nicely.
2017-3-14
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Seems you would need to set the aperture to manual.
2017-3-14
Use props
Rapfife
lvl.2
United States

RobSinfield Posted at 2017-3-14 09:52
You should let people know where the problem is with a timestamp.  The hillbilly music made me bail after 5 seconds.

Are you using auto white balance?

It's too bad some people can't resist being critical.
2017-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules