Phantom bounces during take off
1247 10 2017-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans5f4b78c6
New

United States

has anyone encountered issues with their Phantom 4 bouncing within the first 2 feet when attempting to take off?  I have tried re-calibrating the IMU and compass.  I have also attempted to re-calibrate the obstical avoidance sensors using the DJI assitant and still no luck.  I would be interested in know if others have experienced this and what they did to resolve the issue.

Thanks,
2017-3-13
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

i suspect you are trying manual take-off and for some reason you are going too slow. in that case the drone feels is airborne and also that is too close to the ground and will jump right up in order to avoid a crash. after jump it usually hovers
the only similar experience i had was when my drone almost caught a wave. it jumped right up and hovered. if i can retrieve the video i will post it.
2017-3-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Mine was the opposite experience. My Phantom 3 Pro' bounced about a foot, upon landing.
I was descending too fast, and when it hit the ground, the landing skids/legs sprung it back up.  I soon learned to go a bit slower when nearing the landing pad.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-13
Use props
joe_gadget
lvl.4

Australia

Please explain how you take off?

Also does it happen if you use auto takeoff?
2017-3-13
Use props
Bob2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 104882 ft
Germany

Did you just update the Firmware? There's been reports of unstable hovering after this update.
2017-3-13
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

I've always considered the first 2 feet to be not a safe place to be, at that distance the vision positioning can't work and I suspect that the sonar is not very accurate, also the barometer is going to have problems due to pressure from ground effect.

So I always go to at least 1 meter, normally 2 meters so that it is safely above head height.  If you are worried that it may fall back down for some reason then take off from soft ground.

The vision positioning can't work at 1ft for the same reasons that if you hold your finger just in front of your nose then you can't see either a detailed image or judge distance, instead you see two out of focus 2D images that are impossible to merge into 1 3D image.
2017-3-14
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United States

I had the same issue for a few weeks. On take off and landing - like a yo yo. I found that be recalibrating using THE MOST UPTODATE version of DJI assistant, it was a lot better. At some stage the patterns and process changed and it mad e a big difference. What version of Assistant are you running?
2017-3-14
Use props
Phantom Robin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 128839 ft
Belgium

you need to calibrate the vps
2017-3-14
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

I had the same problem too, especially when the AC is first flown.. After everything warms up it doesn't seem to happen anymore.. Also, throttle up fast and get it at least 5 feet off the ground.. Personally, on the very first flight, I like to get it at least 10 feet off the ground in case it decides to go crazy to keep from flying into someones head.. I did the vision calibration as well, and it did help a bit.. Just get on that throttle when taking off.. That's what was suggested to me and I haven't had any issues since..
2017-3-14
Use props
fans5f4b78c6
New

United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-14 04:37
I had the same problem too, especially when the AC is first flown.. After everything warms up it doesn't seem to happen anymore.. Also, throttle up fast and get it at least 5 feet off the ground.. Personally, on the very first flight, I like to get it at least 10 feet off the ground in case it decides to go crazy to keep from flying into someones head.. I did the vision calibration as well, and it did help a bit.. Just get on that throttle when taking off.. That's what was suggested to me and I haven't had any issues since..

So I calibrated VPS twice using the DJI Asstant 2 v1.0.9 and refreshed the firmware.  Has any one been able find a solution?  I know another guy who is experiencing the same thing with his P4 and has taken the same steps with no success.
2017-3-15
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

fans5f4b78c6 Posted at 2017-3-15 04:50
So I calibrated VPS twice using the DJI Asstant 2 v1.0.9 and refreshed the firmware.  Has any one been able find a solution?  I know another guy who is experiencing the same thing with his P4 and has taken the same steps with no success.

The one thing I have found, if you are landing at night which your videos suggest -  very very slowly bring it down and hold a constant pressure on the stick, even if it starts bouncing a bit.. When it is about an inch or so off the ground pull the stick quickly all the way down and it will settle down, the beautiful thing about the Phantoms though is you can hand catch them and not even have to worry about this issue..

From experimenting I have also found the following...
It will also happen when you turn off VPS - however the sonar sensors are on at all times - even if VPS is off  (I verified this by listening with my phone - sounds like a click buzz sound when you get close to it), so if you are experiencing this during the daytime hours, verify that VPS on and see if that helps.  

Good luck!!
2017-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules