12v charging or inverter when driving
2033 8 2017-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rusty Iron
lvl.3
Australia

I have a question about charging the Mavic batteries when travelling by car. I intend to do a lot of flying on my 4WD trips in Western Australia but I'm concerned about being able to keep 3 batteries charged.

Could you knowledgeable tech heads please advise; I have a 12v - 240v 1000 watt inverter in my car. The inverter runs off my second battery which is a 100 amp hour deep cycle. That battery gets charged whenever the car is running, and I also have a 130 watt solar panel for when I'm camping for extended periods without any driving.

Do you think this setup will have enough output to run the charging bank with three batteries plugged in?
2017-3-14
Use props
Rusty Iron
lvl.3
Australia

Just giving this question a little bump to see if anyone else might be curious about this as well.
2017-3-31
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

You are wasting Power by using the inverter
The Mavic AC charger steps down the Voltage and inverts the Voltage to DC
What your doing with the inverter is going from the car battery DC to the inverter AC back to the Mavic charger DC hence wasting Energy
2017-3-31
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

Rusty Iron Posted at 2017-3-31 00:42
Just giving this question a little bump to see if anyone else might be curious about this as well.

I have used the Yx 5 in 1 charger for Mavic with a 500W inverter and it works great.  The advantage is that it will charge 3 Mavic batteries, the remote controller and your smartphone simultaneously.  The peak draw I have measured at about 200W and it will charge all 5 devices in less than 1.5 hours.  This device can be had for less than the advanced charging hub and will save quite a bit of charging time.  The previous post is correct that there are some inefficiencies involved but only in the neighborhood of 15%.  If you use the standard Mavic charging hub along with the DC car charger this would save about 1.5 hours of charge time and the hub does not charge the controller and phone at the same time.  Also there have been reports that the Mavic DC car charger may not work unless the engine (alternator) is running in that it requires at least 13 volts or it will not work.   This may be a good solution for you.
2017-3-31
Use props
Rusty Iron
lvl.3
Australia

EastyT Posted at 2017-3-31 06:15
I have used the Yx 5 in 1 charger for Mavic with a 500W inverter and it works great.  The advantage is that it will charge 3 Mavic batteries, the remote controller and your smartphone simultaneously.  The peak draw I have measured at about 200W and it will charge all 5 devices in less than 1.5 hours.  This device can be had for less than the advanced charging hub and will save quite a bit of charging time.  The previous post is correct that there are some inefficiencies involved but only in the neighborhood of 15%.  If you use the standard Mavic charging hub along with the DC car charger this would save about 1.5 hours of charge time and the hub does not charge the controller and phone at the same time.  Also there have been reports that the Mavic DC car charger may not work unless the engine (alternator) is running in that it requires at least 13 volts or it will not work.   This may be a good solution for you.

Thanks EastyT. By the looks of things, I shouldn't have too much trouble with a 1000 watt inverter and the Mavic charge hub, charging only the 3 batteries. I use an iPad 2 air for the RC, and I also use that while driving, as a 4WD navigator. So that is being charged continuously anyway. I have another spare USB port in the car, so I could charge the RC from that while driving between locations.
2017-4-1
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

Rusty Iron Posted at 2017-4-1 02:13
Thanks EastyT. By the looks of things, I shouldn't have too much trouble with a 1000 watt inverter and the Mavic charge hub, charging only the 3 batteries. I use an iPad 2 air for the RC, and I also use that while driving, as a 4WD navigator. So that is being charged continuously anyway. I have another spare USB port in the car, so I could charge the RC from that while driving between locations.

You will be more than fine.  The standard charging hub only draws about 60W peak with the 3 Mavic batteries plugged in.  Good luck!
2017-4-1
Use props
djiuser_ZRLKHXiQxcTS
New
Flight distance : 55174 ft
Philippines

Hi Rusty Iron! I know the thread has been a year already.. just wanna ask how your setup held up.. just acquired my 1st quad and also thinking of using an inverter.. btw, was yours a pure sine wave or a modified one?
2018-3-20
Use props
Li'l Bertie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1480344 ft
United States

Rusty Iron Posted at 2017-3-31 00:42

Also looking for the same answer (but I'm in the US; vehicle has 120VAC 500W built-in).
2018-3-23
Use props
AxtonEX
New

India

You simply connect the inverter to a 12 volt battery and plug your device into the inverter. ... Most car batteries will supply enough power for 30 to 60 minutes before they need to be recharged. You can recharge your battery by either turning on the engine, using a gas generator, or hooking it up to an AC charger.
inverterreview.com
2019-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules