Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Drone Regulations In Canada
12Next >
6872 52 2017-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Molar
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26004 ft
Canada

[size=14.000040054321289px]Recreational drone users in Canada face new restrictions on where and when they can fly their drones, under new rules being announced by Transportation Minister Marc Garneau in Toronto on Thursday.
[size=14.000040054321289px]The rules, which are effective immediately, will mean recreational users will face a fine of up to $3,000 if drones are caught flying:
  • Higher than 90 metres,
  • Within 75 metres of buildings, vehicles or people.
  • At night.
  • Within nine kilometres of somewhere aircraft take off or land.
  • Without contact information marked on the drone itself.
  • Over forest fires, emergency response scenes or controlled airspace.
[size=14.000040054321289px]Some of those rules existed only as guidelines before the announcement, Garneau said, with no penalties for breaking them.
[size=14.000040054321289px]Garneau pointed out that people who use drones for commercial, academic or research reasons already have to get a special certificate, and most fly them safely.
[size=14.000040054321289px]He said an overhaul of Canada's regulations for all unmanned aircraft is coming in June, but there's an urgent need to do something now.
[size=14.000040054321289px]"The government certainly doesn't want to restrict drones so much that we hinder innovation, because it's so important to our economy and standard of living," Garneau said.
[size=14.000040054321289px]"But like any new technology, drones must be used with care. And we cannot wait for something bad to happen before we react" care.

2017-3-16
Use props
Molar
lvl.2
Canada

Sorry about the format
2017-3-16
Use props
Molar
lvl.2
Canada

Molar Posted at 2017-3-16 06:44
Sorry about the format

I should have posted this to the Regional forum.
2017-3-16
Use props
lildevilx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 264101 ft
Canada

For better formatting
Do not fly your drone:

higher than 90 m above the ground
    closer than 75 m from buildings, vehicles, vessels, animals, people/crowds, etc.
    closer than nine km from the centre of an aerodrome (any airport, heliport, seaplane base or anywhere that aircraft take-off and land)
    within controlled or restricted airspace
    within nine km of a forest fire
    where it could interfere with police or first responders
    at night or in clouds
    if you can’t keep it in sight at all times
    if you are not within 500 m of your drone
    if your name, address, and telephone number are not clearly marked on your drone.

Source: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilav ... safely-legally.html
2017-3-16
Use props
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29452 ft
Norway

Its about the same laws in Scandinavia.Max Altitude is 120 meter. VLOS. 150 meters from people . 5 km from Airports , 5 km from  emergency response scenes.
2017-3-16
Use props
DesertDave
lvl.3
Flight distance : 55807 ft
United States

Sounds like pretty tight restrictions, especially the 90 M height when you have to stay 75 M away from everything.
2017-3-16
Use props
Molar
lvl.2
Canada

DesertDave Posted at 2017-3-16 07:40
Sounds like pretty tight restrictions, especially the 90 M height when you have to stay 75 M away from everything.

This will kill the drone industry in Canada.  I know there should be restrictions and I'm all about safety but this is pretty extreme.
2017-3-16
Use props
lildevilx
lvl.2
Canada

Molar Posted at 2017-3-16 07:50
This will kill the drone industry in Canada.  I know there should be restrictions and I'm all about safety but this is pretty extreme.

pretty sure there are just gonna be more people flying illegally....

Guess i'll start flying in the backseat of my car...

Edit: I'm all about safety as well, but this just means i can't even fly around a empty soccer field...
2017-3-16
Use props
randy.sauder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

lildevilx Posted at 2017-3-16 07:55
pretty sure there are just gonna be more people flying illegally....

Guess i'll start flying in the backseat of my car...

Been following our regulation development for some time.  It is way too restrictive.  However if you want to fly over a soccer field for example (or any other area in the city that is allowed), technically you need to be at a height of at least more than 75 m to avoid the objects they mention.

Also don't forget, in Canada they've also setup a website for the public (i.e. your neighbours) to submit any complaints they wish on you!!!!!!!!!!!!
2017-3-16
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

What a bullsh$$ country. Freaking old farts making rules when they dont understand anything about the technology itself. Canada is all about restrictions wherever possible. No wonder we are behind in so many things.
2017-3-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

The 75 meter is very strict, this should be 300/400 meters, that's tough..
2017-3-16
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Canada

People will now tend to fly illegally. Restrict something and that will simply push people to do stuff illegally.. Fuc%##$ brainless politicians and officials in other government entities.
2017-3-16
Use props
Kaussy
lvl.1

Canada

We (CANADA) never do anything properly.  Should have to register our drones , and most of these new laws are absolutely rediculous.  And you're right. Most will fly illegally.
2017-3-16
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

lildevilx Posted at 2017-3-16 07:24
For better formatting
Do not fly your drone:

The 75 meter number is actually a loosening of the previous guideline, which was 150 meters.  I never could understand that one at all or how it could be achieved.  Basically, they don't want you flying within city limits.
2017-3-16
Use props
lildevilx
lvl.2
Canada

Which is dumb... cause 75m, you have 15m of playing room. At that point you're only stuck with if you're were to be filming. Way to kill it for acro flyers
2017-3-16
Use props
superjet96
lvl.3
Flight distance : 142743 ft
United States

Don't worry the U.S. won't be far behind at this rate.  People keep doing stupid things and we will all pay.
2017-3-16
Use props
Molar
lvl.2
Canada

This also effects remote control airplanes.  I can see MACC putting up some resistance as these regulations will effect a lot of clubs throughout canada
2017-3-16
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Canada

superjet96 Posted at 2017-3-16 10:12
Don't worry the U.S. won't be far behind at this rate.  People keep doing stupid things and we will all pay.

Yeh but unlike folks in US. We are a bunch of passive puss@#%. We tend to bend over easily and dont voice our concerns to anyone. When we get Fuc#$%, we are likely the ones who end up saying sorry..
Did they even consult with anyone before coming up with these rules..
2017-3-16
Use props
HellFire77
lvl.3
Flight distance : 390863 ft
  • >>>
Canada

lildevilx Posted at 2017-3-16 07:24
For better formatting
Do not fly your drone:

So now I need to drive to the middle of no where just to fly my drone, and I cant fly it at night at all? How about watching a sunset??
2017-3-16
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Canada

pretty sure we will end up with some mafia company to whom we will be able to pay to get a "license" and to be able to fly anywhere, Because, you know having a small piece of paper with a number on it, suddenly gets rid of all the harm/damage you can cause!!!
2017-3-16
Use props
Samoth
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95640 ft
Belgium

Lol can't beat Belgium: 10m max and on private grounds only.
2017-3-16
Use props
superjet96
lvl.3
Flight distance : 142743 ft
United States

alirz5 Posted at 2017-3-16 11:45
Yeh but unlike folks in US. We are a bunch of passive puss@#%. We tend to bend over easily and dont voice our concerns to anyone. When we get Fuc#$%, we are likely the ones who end up saying sorry..
Did they even consult with anyone before coming up with these rules..

To a point here in the U.S. you are correct and I get what you are saying about both countries.  The FAA does take input and lobbying from industry and groups like the AMA however in the end the FAA is going to do what it needs/wants to do.  That being said at least we finally have the 107 so business can occur.  I love Canada but those are some really crazy rules up north!  I hope it loosens up for you.
I think in the end it will get ruined here if people keep doing stupid stuff but it will be delayed.  
2017-3-16
Use props
Molar
lvl.2
Canada

alirz5 Posted at 2017-3-16 09:34
People will now tend to fly illegally. Restrict something and that will simply push people to do stuff illegally.. Fuc%##$ brainless politicians and officials in other government entities.

The only problem is "Big Brother" will be watching us.  If  you post videos to youtube or flight logs they will be all over us just like they are for those posting videos of stunt driving/excessive speeds.
2017-3-16
Use props
Frits48
lvl.4
Flight distance : 155961 ft
Canada

Well, frankly the drone community in general had this coming - as it will elsewhere. I fly responsibly and I can at least understand where they are coming from.
There is one thing I totally oppose in this though: the compulsory attaching name, address and phone number to my drone. That is somewhere between ridiculous and outrageous!!
The last thing I want is, in case of a mishap, to have some hothead on my doorstep who feels that he needs to settle something.
If the government wants to regulate things, then it is their responsibility to provide appropriate tools as needed. Like in the US, where FAA registration is a must with the registration number on the drone. That way, if there is cause, the proper authorities (only) will know where to find you.
2017-3-16
Use props
bigdps
lvl.3
Canada

HellFire77 Posted at 2017-3-16 11:48
So now I need to drive to the middle of no where just to fly my drone, and I cant fly it at night at all? How about watching a sunset??

You will be able to film your sunset as night is defined as 30 minutes after sunset. So once your sun is down, you basically have 30 minutes to do what you need and then put it away.
2017-3-16
Use props
bigdps
lvl.3
Canada

Here is what I see of this rule. Unreasonable parents buying a drone for their kids thinking it is JUST a toy. Kid tries different maneuvers thinking he's hotshot, crashes drone in "insert person, animal or thing name here" and then parents get phone call from a person complaining.

I am sure many of the people on the DJI forums fly responsibly. However, like everything else in this world, if some idiots abuse the system, in this case, flying drones responsibly, then our gov has no choice but punish everyone. I just bought my drone last week and now, I have a paperweight that is highly intelligent (unlike the idiots who fly dangerously) and I will be a criminal even before I leave the house. I didn't buy my drone to keep it on a leash. Sheesh.

I know there are millions of drones all over the planet, HOWEVER, how many of them are just the basic drone with 3 or more blades, no RTH, no camera, nothing that makes it safe (unlike our Mavics) and these drones are the cause of the many problems? Why don't they break the law in different categories? When I did my motorcycle test 20 years ago, we had 2 classes: 500cc and below, 550cc and above. If you were tested on 500cc and below, you were NOT allowed to ride a bike bigger than that. How many parents bought crotch rockets to their kids only to see them wrap themselves around a telephone pole? It's the exact same thing for the drone community. We now have to be painted by the same wide brush and fall under the irresponsible fliers that the gov is targeting.

I wonder if DJI could do something and try to convince higher up that drones are not all created equal?{:4_142:}
2017-3-16
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

bigdps Posted at 2017-3-16 14:26
Here is what I see of this rule. Unreasonable parents buying a drone for their kids thinking it is JUST a toy. Kid tries different maneuvers thinking he's hotshot, crashes drone in "insert person, animal or thing name here" and then parents get phone call from a person complaining.

I am sure many of the people on the DJI forums fly responsibly. However, like everything else in this world, if some idiots abuse the system, in this case, flying drones responsibly, then our gov has no choice but punish everyone. I just bought my drone last week and now, I have a paperweight that is highly intelligent (unlike the idiots who fly dangerously) and I will be a criminal even before I leave the house. I didn't buy my drone to keep it on a leash. Sheesh.

I wonder if DJI could do something and try to convince higher up that drones are not all created equal?

They're already trying. In the United States DJI is lobbying to significantly increase the weight threshold below which drones become essentially unregulated. Currently the threshold is a feathery 0.55 pounds (250 grams), but DJI is proposing that it be increased to 4.9 pounds (2.2kg), which would put the Mavic (and Phantom) well below the threshold.
2017-3-16
Use props
Strake
lvl.1

United States

So how do you even fly at all with a 75m distance from people or vehicles, buildings  if you are standing in a field with some friends or family (people)  and your car is nearby?

I'm concerned overly stiff requirements like this will filter to the US as well.  I want to be able to use this from our boat,  and with friends of course.
2017-3-16
Use props
Timbit31
lvl.3
Flight distance : 304209 ft
Canada

Well this pretty much kills my pending Mavic purchase for the spring.   Cannot even go to the local park and fly as houses, cars and people are nearby.

I agree with some limitations but this is a bit extreme.

2017-3-16
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Canada

Timbit31 Posted at 2017-3-16 16:55
Well this pretty much kills my pending Mavic purchase for the spring.   Cannot even go to the local park and fly as houses, cars and people are nearby.

I agree with some limitations but this is a bit extreme.

And we as Citizens of this country, what can we do about it?  Nothing at all, because we are slaves.
2017-3-16
Use props
PatientPlaya
lvl.2
Flight distance : 512260 ft
Canada

Why we need all of these rules and restrictions beats the hell out of me... I get the safety aspect of it.. but have there been any major injuries or death from a drone incident? I think many people are injured or killed in cars on a daily basis... maybe driving should be banned.... Oh but because it's a necessity and doesn't necessarily contain the word fun... it's ok i guess.

The government just likes to control every aspect of everyday life...

Does anyone know if a petition has been started?
2017-3-16
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Canada

PatientPlaya Posted at 2017-3-16 18:21
Why we need all of these rules and restrictions beats the hell out of me... I get the safety aspect of it.. but have there been any major injuries or death from a drone incident? I think many people are injured or killed in cars on a daily basis... maybe driving should be banned.... Oh but because it's a necessity and doesn't necessarily contain the word fun... it's ok i guess.

The government just likes to control every aspect of everyday life...

I say we start one..is that something that needs to started by a law firm or something or can anyone start one?

How about here : https://petitions.parl.gc.ca/en/Home/Index
2017-3-16
Use props
Molar
lvl.2
Canada

alirz5 Posted at 2017-3-16 18:46
I say we start one..is that something that needs to started by a law firm or something or can anyone start one?

How about here : https://petitions.parl.gc.ca/en/Home/Index

When and if you start one let us know
2017-3-16
Use props
fallsilent
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336709 ft
Canada

It says in this news report that  "Transport Canada says anyone who sees someone flying a drone illegally should call 911." Are you kidding me? This will cause some serious issues. We are going to have all these uneducated do-gooders calling 911??? How can Transport Canada recommend that? WTF?? Don't the cops have anything better to do like maybe go catch some criminals?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ ... c-garneau-1.4027486
2017-3-16
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 8351585 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I think the biggest problem is the 9km distance to airports is absurd.

Minimum altitude of an aircraft approaching an airport over unbuilt up land (farmland) would be 500ft AGL. (152.4m).
Cessna 182 has a best glide ratio of ~ 9:1
Boeing 737 has a glide ratio of ~17:1  (the famous Gimli glider did ~12:1 glide ratio)
So if drones fly at a max AGL of 90m how far away from the airport can the above aircraft be and still “glide” to the airport from this altitude?
90/(1/9)=810m        152/(1/9)=1368m < using max altitude permitted in Go App
90/(1/17)=1530m        152/(1/17)=2584m < using max altitude permitted in Go App
The above are the best glide ratios in approach and take-off using flaps the glide ratios are considerably less.
So if I am twice this distance away from the airport there is NO way I would interfere with aircraft using the airport.
Let’s consider helicopters
The heliports most often in question are hospital pads.  Hospitals are located in built up areas so the helicopter is required to approach the hospital at a minimum of 1000ft AGL or 305m.  When nearing the pad the helicopter will typically descend at a 45° slope.  From a 305m altitude this would put the helicopter 305m away horizontally from the pad at the start of the descent.  If a drone is flying at 90m altitude 900m horizontally away from the pad there is no chance of interference with the helicopter.  

2017-3-16
Use props
PatientPlaya
lvl.2
Flight distance : 512260 ft
Canada

This probably on of the best websites I have run across for drone rules.

http://www.voanaboa.pt/

It's in Portuguese but Google will translate. If you find the drone laws area... they have Google map overlays. Near the airports they have a tiered altitude. It's all color coded. It's not just a blanket no you can't fly here at all... they have taken into consideration the runway takeoff and landing orientation also which is great!

It's a very FAIR system in my opinion and is a great effort towards a happy medium.
2017-3-16
Use props
CreativeMe
lvl.2
Sweden

I really hate that every country restrict the laws more and more to the extreme. I understand that they care about safety and so do I but seems every country is taking this to far.
The new laws in Canada is pretty rough but they don't beat the Swedish. Here in Sweden you may not fly a drone with a camera on. The only time you may fly a drone with a camera is in your private area but if another area get caught in your image than your private, you gonna have to pay fine. So that's basicly means that you can't even fly over 2m in alltitued but only if you got fences with no se thru. And if you don't have fences you are pretty screwed since it's impossible to avoid getting another area in your footage.It sounds really stupid I know but that actually true.
Why does this law apply to drones? Well the politicans here sees the drone as and security cam, yes security cam. You need a permit to setup a security cam here in Sweden. So why does the drone fall into the security cam law? They see the drone with an camera as an ranking camera controlled by distances. That's really stupid since drone only can be in the air around 30min (Correct me if im wrong) and most of the people won't hover on the same spot for 30min. Another is that they are worried about people are gonna spy on people with the drone. I mean the drone aren't quiet aircrafts and it's nearly impossible to spot person from 90m and if you fly closer the person will notice it. They only scenario where spying with drone will work is big citys with high buildings with flats.
But anyway the law is really stupid. The funny is that in theory it's illeagle to use a DSLR/camera on a tripod with a controller to take a picture and even a selfie stick technically falls into the law.
If they really want to controll the drones in Sweden and keep it safe, why don't they make an law that you  need an license as an private pilot with reasonble restrictions and register your drone. In case of accident it will be easy to track the owner of the drone. I would easly pay 200-300$  to get a license. This will keep away some trolls with no respect from drone flying, not all of them but some. It's at least something.
Sorry for my english.
2017-3-16
Use props
lildevilx
lvl.2
Canada

bigdps Posted at 2017-3-16 14:26

Please don't lump the "Basic drone" with the idiots that flies their quads into danger. In fact, the people that actually flies these "Basic drone" you call is actually (most) the grandfather of the hobby and only wants to be out to have fun. Most of these people are actually even safer then some of the idiots that buys a DJI machine. sadly, a lot of the video's I've seen of idiots flying beside or over high rises and in dangers way are DJI Phantoms.

Anyways either way, i do agree that this is a dumb set of rules.
2017-3-17
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Canada

lildevilx Posted at 2017-3-17 19:49
Please don't lump the "Basic drone" with the idiots that flies their quads into danger. In fact, the people that actually flies these "Basic drone" you call is actually (most) the grandfather of the hobby and only wants to be out to have fun. Most of these people are actually even safer then some of the idiots that buys a DJI machine. sadly, a lot of the video's I've seen of idiots flying beside or over high rises and in dangers way are DJI Phantoms.

Anyways either way, i do agree that this is a dumb set of rules.

I'm in Montreal. Now my question is where do we go fly now?
2017-3-24
Use props
Travelling Dron
lvl.2
Canada

there is like barely anywhere to fly they might as well outlaw drones in canada
2017-5-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules